PDA

View Full Version : So you want to make a dovetail chisel?

Derek Cohen
04-26-2010, 1:22 AM
A new article on my website:

A link to my website is in my personal profile/contact info.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Clint Barden
04-26-2010, 6:11 AM
Well done!

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 7:23 AM
Nice work, Derek, and those are some really nice looking chisels and handles. Dave would be proud!

gary Zimmel
04-26-2010, 8:48 AM
Great work Derek.

Roy Wall
04-26-2010, 8:54 AM
Excellent - as always!!

Rick Markham
04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Really awesome Derek! You always inspire me to dabble in aspects of woodworking and metal working that I would never have considered, and for that I thank you. It's about time I start to consider getting a good grinder and a set up for doing this kind of thing. It really opens up a whole avenue of getting hand tools that really become part of the user. Looks like a whole lot of fun too!

John Schreiber
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Thank you Derek, I've just been thinking about doing something similar, but inevitably less elegant. Seeing how you set everything up is very helpful.

What do you think of the idea of grinding so that the sharp edge is very slightly wider than the shank?

Kevin Lucas
04-27-2010, 2:16 PM
Ok now you're really tempting me to try that. Not because they are dovetail chisels but because of my honing guide. The little notches to hold a chisel <> are small and the side of the chisels are just too thick. I couldnt figure a good way to do it. Now I have no excuse )