PDA

View Full Version : sell 1642 for 3520

dennis kranz
04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
I have the 1642 but am considering selling it and getting the 3520. For those of you who did this is it worth the investment? Have you ever wished that you kept the 1642? There is no way I can keep or have both. What say all of you am I crazy for considering such a thing?
Dennis

I just saw the post by Sam Upton. Sounds like one in favor.

alex carey
04-26-2010, 1:04 AM
didn't do it, but I think you'll realize its quite a bit upgrade, those 4 inches make a huge difference, the weight makes a huge difference and the ability to outboard easily makes a huge difference.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2010, 7:56 AM
Dennis - I have the 1642 and feel your answer really depends on what it is that you plan on turning. If the swing is needed or the extra weight - then I would consider it. But remember you also give up some of the length of the bed - just something to keep in mind.

We all know the 3520 lathes are workhorses - so I don't think you would be disappointed in the lathe - as long as you can afford it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Dennis I have to agree with Steve. Yes I have/had thought about jumping from a 16" machine to the PM but couldn't justify the cost in my mind. I think it will depend on what you want to turn. Do you need the extra 4" or the extra weight? Is it worth the extra $1000 or so? The PM is a fine and rugged machine. Just some food for thought.

Bob Bergstrom
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
16-42 is a fine running lathe. If turning big chucks of wood are a priority then the 3520 is the way to go. Bowls over 16" are more of a challenge than useful. That being said, I have turned on a 3520 for the last year and love it. Finding, chain sawing, andhauling home 75 pound wood blanks, then mounting them on the lathe is work, but it sure is a great ego trip to see the finished product.:D

Reed Gray
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
The main reason I would use to justify the upgrade would be if I had the 110 volt model of the Jet and wanted the 2 hp, 220 volt motor. That is a big difference in torque. Other than that, for 99% of the turning you do, you will not need the extra diameter.

robo hippy

Bill Bolen
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Tim the tool man always cried "more power"! It is a guy thing 'ya know. If you have the $$ why not get what you really want. After all You can't take it with you ...Bill...

Perry Higgins
04-26-2010, 3:36 PM
I made the switch and can't say that I got enough of a boost to offset the cost. First there was the cost of the lathe itself, then the 220 wiring of the shop and finally I lost the legs and ballast box I had put on the 1642 which made it a great machine to work on. Yes I can turn bigger chunks of wood, bust as already noted; few want those huge bowls when they are done. Great to look at but you can't get them into a single cupboard. Don't get me wrong, the 3520 is a great machine, I should have bought it first or stuck with the 1642 because there isn't that much difference.

Richard Madison
04-26-2010, 7:46 PM
Lots of folks add a ballast box and maybe 200 or 300 pounds extra weight to the 1642. And as mentioned, the extra bed length (by comparison) is handy for getting the tailstock out of the way without getting an expensive swing-away device.

Tony Pridmore
04-26-2010, 9:50 PM
The 1642 is a great machine. If you are looking for additional swing over the ways, investigate having shim blocks made for headstock/tailstock. Two guys in our club did this so they could turn hats. Of course one of them is a tool and die maker. :rolleyes: Maybe this option costs more than the lathe upgrade. :eek:

-Tony

Ron Bontz
04-27-2010, 1:06 AM
I had the 1642-2EVS, came across a great deal on a 3520b with the extension etc. Couldn't resist. Now 1 year or so later...... They are both great machines. And indeed it depends on if you really need the extra 4" of clearance at the cost of that 7" on length. Note the extension on the 3520b is 18" in comparison to 20" for the jet. Ultimately 62" vs 53". If I had to pay full price I would save my money for something else (Hmm, like a full set of Thompsons) and get my monies worth out of that 1642-2. That being said I don't turn as much as a lot of these guys do. And then mostly spindle type work. And lately very small things. Best of luck.:)

dennis kranz
04-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Because of all of your ansewers from here and another forum I do believe that the 3520 is more of a want than a need. So I am keeping my Jet and have already talked with Monster tools and Doug Thompson about a couple of things. A chain saw is also calling me. Anyway Thanks
Dennis

Mauricio Ulloa
04-28-2010, 2:59 PM
Great decision! You won't regret it! :D

Bob Bergstrom
04-28-2010, 6:47 PM
A good chainsaw will pay for itself in a short time. Give the Jet a good work out too. If after a time the saw finds pieces too big for the Jet, then the vortex will call again. Keep fighting the vortex even though everyone here knows it is impossible to overcome it.