PDA

View Full Version : Did I fry my Ridgid 4330 Planer

Orlando Gonzalez
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I was planning to plane some SYP when I turned it on all of the sudden it began to SCREEEEEEECH and then it shut down and smoke was coming out of the area around the motor/bearings.

Question is it worth changing out the motor/bearings or just get another one. This one is about 2-3yrs old. I don't know if I want to chuck down $650 for a DW735 when I can get a replacement at HD is $369.

My shop is the terrace out in the back (LOL is not happy) and I don't have 220v access so a used one or a new one from Griz is not an option at this time.

Thanks

Matthew Hills
04-25-2010, 10:20 PM
did you have the dust chute removed when you tried to turn it on?

Matt

Adam Strong
04-25-2010, 10:54 PM
...This one is about 2-3yrs old.

When you bought it did you register for the LLSA or at least the 3 year warranty? If so, I think this would be covered.

-- If not, the cost of repair by a service center may well be half the price of a new one. If you open it up and can get the parts to do it yourself, I am sure it would be well worth the effort.

Brian Keith
04-25-2010, 11:45 PM
I second the dust chute, if the safety button isnt pressed it will make that same noise and alot of smoke which is the belt.burning. Dont ask how I know twice.

Orlando Gonzalez
04-26-2010, 7:47 AM
Matt and Brian,

uhh, yup, duh, no dust chute. :o :mad:

In your experiences did it work again or did you have to replace the belt?

Thanks for the info.

Orlando

Bill Huber
04-26-2010, 8:18 AM
Matt and Brian,

uhh, yup, duh, no dust chute. :o :mad:

In your experiences did it work again or did you have to replace the belt?

Thanks for the info.

Orlando

Have you put the chute in and tried it again, that is the only way you will know.

I did not have my chute seated right one time and when I turned it on it didn't go, I turned it off and check the chute, reseated it and it was fine.

Now I did not smoke it and it was only a second.

Matthew Hills
04-26-2010, 9:41 AM
I second the dust chute, if the safety button isnt pressed it will make that same noise and alot of smoke which is the belt.burning. Dont ask how I know twice.

Hypothetically speaking, if I'd done that, it might've worked fine afterwards.

Let us know what your experience is.

Matt

Orlando Gonzalez
04-26-2010, 8:04 PM
Put on the dust chute and there was no SCREEEECH or smoke. It sounded normal and although I didn't run wood thru it (raining bad in south florida) I'm sure that it would have been ok.

The dust chute has a tab that presses down on the safety latch that allows the cutterhead to rotate.

Thanks Matt and Bill. You saved me $$$$$.

Orlando

Bernie May
04-26-2010, 9:21 PM
And that my friends is what this site is all about. One woodworker helping another. Long live Sawmill Creek!
-bernie