PDA

View Full Version : Only 243 days until Christmas

Curt Fuller
04-25-2010, 9:40 PM
Don't shoot me! If you're like me you haven't even paid last Christmas off yet. But hey, it did snow here for a couple days last week and it's supposed to snow again later this week. Soooooooooo..........

Actually I had some wood I wanted to see how it would turn and look and it was such small pieces that I figured something small like a segmented Christmas ornament was just the ticket. So here it is, just one of my usual ornaments but some wood you don't see turned very often. The thing strips in the segmenting are dunnowood, probably bubinga. The big segmented pieces, the finial and icicle are........................guess. It's abundant here in Utah and most of the Great Basin, not very tall, rarely over 6', very pungent odor.

Just one ornament, two pics.

David E Keller
04-25-2010, 9:46 PM
I like it. The mystery wood is nice. I'll guess juniper. I love your ornament design.

Richard Madison
04-25-2010, 9:51 PM
It's probably sagebrush. One of my favorites. Nice ornament Curt.

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2010, 9:54 PM
Great looking ornament Curt. Oh yea don't remind me that Christmas is that close.

Mike McAfee
04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Very cool ornaments Curt! Are they hollow? I showed my wife your ornament gallery and she asked if I'd make some for her! Maybe I should buy a doz from you a fib a bit! ;)

MMc

Curt Fuller
04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
It's probably sagebrush.

ChaChing! We have a winner! Really interesting wood, but tough to find a piece big enough to do much with. Would make some awesome pens I'm thinking.

Richard Madison
04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Curt, I cheated. Your photos have "sagebrush" in the title. Might make some attractive bottle stoppers too. Dandy ornament.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Great looking ornaments Curt! Love the form! Really nice color to the Sagebrush - don't think I have ever seen anything turned from it! Don't think I've ever seen any of it that was big enough to turn either!

Nice work! Unique combination!

Baxter Smith
04-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Very nice. I will have to try an ornament next Christmas! I would have to start now though to get one half that nice.

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 6:59 AM
Curt, those are some of your prettier ones - the sagebrush has some beautiful color and grain! Funny how terms differ in parts for the country. I have heard the term sagebrush when growing up in referring to a grass that grows in this area on poor soil.

That stuff is perfect for the segmenting, though, with the size being small.

Keith Burns
04-26-2010, 2:15 PM
Another winner Curt ! I love the way you always take something unusal and make a work of art out of it.

Brian Effinger
04-26-2010, 5:18 PM
A pretty ornament Curt, and a nicely subtle combination of wood.

Curt Fuller
04-28-2010, 9:19 AM
Curt, those are some of your prettier ones - the sagebrush has some beautiful color and grain! Funny how terms differ in parts for the country. I have heard the term sagebrush when growing up in referring to a grass that grows in this area on poor soil.

That stuff is perfect for the segmenting, though, with the size being small.

Thanks everyone.

John, I guess maybe some of you southerners and easterners don't see sagebrush very often. But this is the sagebrush I turned it from...
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/Sagebrush.jpg