PDA

View Full Version : Good 3D CAD program on a budget

Mark Noll
04-25-2010, 8:56 PM
i am on an extreme budget, but need a decent 3D CAD program. I purchased BobCad, and it really is BAD. It is worse than terrible as far as support, all they want to do is sell you training.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TurboCAD Deluxe for 129.00??

please help me!

Thanks

Richard Link
04-25-2010, 9:07 PM
Mark,

What exactly are you planning to do with the software? Are you planning on doing activities that can't be accomplished using Sketchup (which is free or very cheap for the pro version)?

Many of us use Sketchup for furniture design, shop planning, etc. Obviously, you are not going to be doing finite element analysis with it but for basic things it is pretty nice.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-25-2010, 9:22 PM
As Richard said, what you plan on doing can influence the choices. You might want to look at Alibre, but there are a lot of other options. I personally wouldn't go the TurboCAD route.

Mark Noll
04-25-2010, 9:31 PM
I wish I could afford Aspire. It is my #1 choice. I mainly want to be able to fillet edges and sweep surfaces. I do a lot of inlay work which I can do with BobCad in 2D. getting a simple sweep is next to impossible, plus BobCad has no manual or any real support unless you buy it.

One example is an inlaid heat pendant that I want to create a curved surface and machine after I inlay it.

For now it will be simple things like that which I can machine with Cut3D.

Thanks

Tony Joyce
04-25-2010, 9:44 PM
As others have mentioned SketchUp is the best bang for the buck. The pro version files can be converted to stl's for toolpathing & machining use(outside company).

Clarence Miller
04-25-2010, 9:47 PM
I use ProgeCAD pro. It ran me about 400 but you can try it 30 days for free

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
If you want to do Aspire type work, but on a budget, then look at Silo or MOI. The learning curve will be steep, though.

Bob Savage
04-25-2010, 11:37 PM
I wish I could afford Aspire. It is my #1 choice. I mainly want to be able to fillet edges and sweep surfaces. I do a lot of inlay work which I can do with BobCad in 2D. getting a simple sweep is next to impossible, plus BobCad has no manual or any real support unless you buy it.

Are you using the demo? Bobcad costs more than Aspire doesn't it?

Mark Noll
04-26-2010, 6:25 AM
I got BobCAD for $200. Seemed like a good deal, but the support and and help files are non existent unless you purchase them.

John McClanahan
04-26-2010, 8:20 AM
Keep in mind that your choice of CAD software needs to be compatible with your CAM software. I mention this as I own an older version of BobCad/CAM.

John

Bill Griggs
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
For inexpensive 3D cad there are some good choices. Rhino3D student version is identical to regular version.

Alibre Design $197
Rhino3D $975 - Student version $195 (same program).
Sketchup $495 Pro - Free version $0
Blender 2.5 $0 - Instruction Manual $33 Euros
3D Canvas $0 - Pro - $69.95

Bill

Guy Mathews
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
For inexpensive 3D cad there are some good choices. Rhino3D student version is identical to regular version.

Alibre Design $197
Rhino3D $975 - Student version $195 (same program).
Sketchup $495 Pro - Free version $0
Blender 2.5 $0 - Instruction Manual $33 Euros
3D Canvas $0 - Pro - $69.95

Bill

Rhino is my choice as well. Not only do you have one of the most complete CAD packages out there, you have the ability to import more files then you can shake a stick at. Variable surface fillet and chamfer are great. The ability to manipulate STL files to include projecting curves and cutting them makes it tops in my book for CAD.

As far as CAM goes, as long as you can import a dwg, dxf or stl, your current CAM will serve you well.

Mark Noll
04-26-2010, 1:53 PM
Keep in mind that your choice of CAD software needs to be compatible with your CAM software. I mention this as I own an older version of BobCad/CAM.

John

I will be using CUT 3D BobCAD is terrible. I can't even update the tool library to include tools I use.

Mark Noll
04-26-2010, 1:55 PM
Rhino is my choice as well. Not only do you have one of the most complete CAD packages out there, you have the ability to import more files then you can shake a stick at. Variable surface fillet and chamfer are great. The ability to manipulate STL files to include projecting curves and cutting them makes it tops in my book for CAD.

As far as CAM goes, as long as you can import a dwg, dxf or stl, your current CAM will serve you well.

Rhino sounds great I have actually used the trial version previously. I wish I qualified for the student version.

Mark Noll
04-26-2010, 2:05 PM

I found Rhino 4.o for 699 from Mecsoft. http://www.mecsoft.com/PriceRhinoCAM.shtml I am assuming Rhino 4.0 and Rhinoceros 4.0 are the same.

james mcgrew
04-26-2010, 3:45 PM
i wasted a lot of money on bobcad as well

aspire well worth the money.

Guy Mathews
04-26-2010, 4:15 PM
I found Rhino 4.o for 699 from Mecsoft. http://www.mecsoft.com/PriceRhinoCAM.shtml I am assuming Rhino 4.0 and Rhinoceros 4.0 are the same.

Yes they are one in the same.

Later down the road you may want to look at RhinoCam. It is a CAM program that works right in Rhino. The cool thing is that you can add curves and surfaces on a model while doing your CAM, regenrate your toolpath and the program will take in the new additions without having to save a file or import export or any thing like that.

Also check Feebay. You may find a licensed copy of rhino on there that someone is elling.

Good Luck.

Kenneth Hertzog
04-26-2010, 5:35 PM
I agree with what James McGrew posted
I did the same thing

I'm sending you a PM about Bobcad

Ken

Jerome Stanek
04-26-2010, 5:49 PM
autocad 2010 $187 student version. same as full but with a 5 year limit.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-27-2010, 11:23 PM
I still use Bobcad for alot of 2d work. I have been using it since version 16 I think. back in the DOS days. Get the DVD tutorial. If you bought it for 200.00 I am assuming you must have bought it used. What version is it?

Michael Kowalczyk
04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I really wish every one would stop suggesting academic versions to people who are not students or teachers. THE EULA says not to be used for commercial puposes. I don't care how tough times may be for anyone. using an academic version for business or hobby without being qualified for it is the same as stealing. IMHO if you can't afford to buy the software legally then maybe you should shouldn't be in business. plenty of used software on ebay or other places but you get what you pay for and it usually means NO SUPPORT unless you pay for it in some form or another.
Just my opinion.

Mark Noll
04-28-2010, 6:50 AM
I still use Bobcad for alot of 2d work. I have been using it since version 16 I think. back in the DOS days. Get the DVD tutorial. If you bought it for 200.00 I am assuming you must have bought it used. What version is it?

I have the Video tutorial for version 22. I purchased Version 23 new from BobCad for $200.00. They happen to be 5 miles up the road from me. I have been there for their "Open Houses", but they aren't too interested in helping there, instead it is about selling.

Mark Noll
04-28-2010, 6:58 AM
I really wish every one would stop suggesting academic versions to people who are not students or teachers. THE EULA says not to be used for commercial puposes. I don't care how tough times may be for anyone. using an academic version for business or hobby without being qualified for it is the same as stealing. IMHO if you can't afford to buy the software legally then maybe you should shouldn't be in business. plenty of used software on ebay or other places but you get what you pay for and it usually means NO SUPPORT unless you pay for it in some form or another.
Just my opinion.

I agree with you on the purchase of educational software. I wouldn't even try to purchase the software even if it means saving a couple of thousand dollars. Back in the day, I worked at an education center where we purchased ANY Microsoft Software for $29.00 each. We had just about every program available and we kept the disks locked up tight. Everyone wanted to copy them or take them home to download them, but I was the "Ass" that stopped that from happening. I pissed a few people off, but I feel honesty is the best course.

My tech support was for 45 days. Maybe my lack of support is due to my price?

As a BobCad user, you know that the help files are not very helpful. It also came with no manual and it isn't great for complex 3D. 2D is great, except that it does lack some features that would truly help.

How do you join vectors on it or group them?

mark

james mcgrew
04-28-2010, 7:19 AM
i am a bit embarrassed to say, i was promised the moon by bobcad they sounded sooo knowlegeable and all i knew is i would be moving into (what i now know is rotary) fourth axis, they swore it would do 3d, 4rth axis on a cnc lathe. close but no cigar at best it will turn (same as a regular lathe) but hey i was new and did not know any better funny thing was neither did bobcad!! now my 1900.00 investment (yes i bought the full boat) sit on the shelf looking pretty cool nect to the carvewright manual (just a learning thing.

got vcarve pro and the free 3dmachinist, added cut3d for other .stl models and eventually moved up to aspire, (vectric credits previous purchases) could saved a lot of money. sometimes you can save toooo much money!!

jim

Matt Clara
04-28-2010, 8:42 AM
I really wish every one would stop suggesting academic versions to people who are not students or teachers. THE EULA says not to be used for commercial purposes.

While that is true of many software vendors, it's not true of Rhino. The educational version has no limits or restrictions over the non-educational (except for the license can't be transferred, apparently).

is a full-featured commercial license at a special price
is for students, faculty (teachers, instructors, and professors),and schools only (proof of status is required (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm))
is upgradeable at educational prices if the owner still qualifies (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm) for educational prices
is upgradeable at commercial prices if the owner no longer qualifies (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm) for educational prices
can be used for either educational or commercial activities
is not transferable (cannot be sold or transferred to another user)

Mark Noll
04-28-2010, 2:02 PM
i am a bit embarrassed to say, i was promised the moon by bobcad they sounded sooo knowlegeable and all i knew is i would be moving into (what i now know is rotary) fourth axis, they swore it would do 3d, 4rth axis on a cnc lathe. close but no cigar at best it will turn (same as a regular lathe) but hey i was new and did not know any better funny thing was neither did bobcad!! now my 1900.00 investment (yes i bought the full boat) sit on the shelf looking pretty cool nect to the carvewright manual (just a learning thing.

got vcarve pro and the free 3dmachinist, added cut3d for other .stl models and eventually moved up to aspire, (vectric credits previous purchases) could saved a lot of money. sometimes you can save toooo much money!!

jim

I am saving up for Aspire. I can't wait to start creating some 3D models on a simple to use program. Vectric software is the best I have tried.

I use my BobCAD a lot for 2D. It works for that. I still import DXF files into VCarve pro for resizing and moving vectors. So much easier to do than in BobCAD.

We should start a forum for newbies to let them know our experienced errors with software.

Mark

Michael Kowalczyk
04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
While that is true of many software vendors, it's not true of Rhino. The educational version has no limits or restrictions over the non-educational (except for the license can't be transferred, apparently).

is a full-featured commercial license at a special price
is for students, faculty (teachers, instructors, and professors),and schools only (proof of status is required (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm))
is upgradeable at educational prices if the owner still qualifies (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm) for educational prices
is upgradeable at commercial prices if the owner no longer qualifies (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm) for educational prices
can be used for either educational or commercial activities
is not transferable (cannot be sold or transferred to another user)

yes it is fully functional as the commercial one is but can not to be purchased for a business or a hobby because you still have to qualify as stated above.

if someone tries to circumvent or abuse the system, I feel sorry for them because that's no way to run a business or hobby IMHO.

thanks and ...

Michael Kowalczyk
04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
I agree with you on the purchase of educational software. I wouldn't even try to purchase the software even if it means saving a couple of thousand dollars. Back in the day, I worked at an education center where we purchased ANY Microsoft Software for $29.00 each. We had just about every program available and we kept the disks locked up tight. Everyone wanted to copy them or take them home to download them, but I was the "Ass" that stopped that from happening. I pissed a few people off, but I feel honesty is the best course.

My tech support was for 45 days. Maybe my lack of support is due to my price?

As a BobCad user, you know that the help files are not very helpful. It also came with no manual and it isn't great for complex 3D. 2D is great, except that it does lack some features that would truly help.

How do you join vectors on it or group them?

mark
Glad to hear it Mark.:) I actually prefer to use Bobcad 21, even though I have version 23 also, for my 2d stuff because it has functions that none of my other software can do as easily but I still import the DXF or DWG into Artcampro 2010, Aspire or Ecabinets. Just easier for me since I have 1000's of files, in Bobcad, that I can modify quickly when I need to.

Matt Clara
04-29-2010, 7:36 AM
yes it is fully functional as the commercial one is but can not to be purchased for a business or a hobby because you still have to qualify as stated above.

if someone tries to circumvent or abuse the system, I feel sorry for them because that's no way to run a business or hobby IMHO.

thanks and ...

My wife's a professor, and I resent what you're saying. I told McNeel what the deal was when I purchased, and they were more than happy to sell it to me nonetheless, so why don't you keep your morality to yourself? The truth is, you're speculating.

james mcgrew
04-29-2010, 7:49 AM
i have met micheal personally and shared many a post with him on several forums, i share his views and know in my heart they are not for all cases, in the field of cabinetmaking and custom fabrication ethics, reputation and quality are everything. none of us have perfectly clean stones but work hard to do the best we can with it. i would have never known where anyone here gets what unless they tell me, micheal does a good job of presenting his point with out being confrontational nor specifically blaming anyone, as lesson i have had to learn on the internet all to well.

Mike Heidrick
04-29-2010, 8:00 AM
From the Rhino FAQ - You can use the version you buy as a "student" in your work.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I am in school, but I really need all the features of commercial Rhino to do my work. What should I do?

A: Buy the educational license because it's exactly the same software with the same features as the commercial version but it will cost you less.

Q: I own a Rhino educational license and I will finish school this spring. I want to use Rhino in my work after I graduate. Do I have to upgrade to a commercial license when I leave school?

A: No. You can continue to use the educational license after you are out of school. Only when you upgrade to the next version of Rhino, would you buy the commercial upgrade and pay the commercial upgrade price.

james mcgrew
04-29-2010, 8:44 AM
makes me wish i was a student!!

Mark Noll
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
My wife's a professor, and I resent what you're saying. I told McNeel what the deal was when I purchased, and they were more than happy to sell it to me nonetheless, so why don't you keep your morality to yourself? The truth is, you're speculating.

Michael stated that "if someone tries to circumvent or abuse the system". If your wife is a professor, then she is perfectly within her rights to purchase a student version. Michael did not state that you were wrong, but that many people do try to get over on the system. Don't take things so personally. He was making a broad statement that obviously did not apply to you.

I agree with him that we all should be honest in our dealings. I think that is all he was saying.