PDA

View Full Version : What material could I use?....

David Sacks
04-25-2010, 7:45 PM
We are putting together a memorial board project.
The boards are computer controlled to lite up behind each name plate on the the anniversary of the person's death.

The name plates would 2"x5" - but I need a material that would be opaque, except where I laser the letters, which would be translucent.

I need to be able to cut and laser them on my 40 watt. I have @1500 to make.

The boards are all inside.

Any ideas or directions?

Thanks in advance!

Joe Pelonio
04-25-2010, 7:56 PM
I have done similar items, often for custom car dash work. Rowmark reverse engravable results in clear letters on opaque background, then you can apply a piece of translucent vinyl over the letters on the back
to achieve the effect.

Steve Kelsey
04-25-2010, 9:29 PM
It seems any material that you could vector cut would work with a translucent covering over the back of the lettering once completed. Of course that limits your font choices so Joes solution is probably a better one. Or you could laminate a vector cuttable material over glass, or another substrate that does not vector, prior to lasering.

Belinda Barfield
04-26-2010, 6:31 AM
I have done similar items, often for custom car dash work. Rowmark reverse engravable results in clear letters on opaque background, then you can apply a piece of translucent vinyl over the letters on the back
to achieve the effect.

Not ever having done this type of work, I have a question. Why do you need to apply a piece of translucent vinyl over the letter on the back?

Joe Pelonio
04-26-2010, 7:49 AM
So that the letters light up in color, rather than just white from the light. The acrylic is clear and the engraving on the back removes the solid color.

Belinda Barfield
04-26-2010, 9:11 AM
So the translucent vinyl is a colored vinyl. I was just picturing light shining through the engraved areas. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Dan Hintz
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
You could also spray the back of acrylic sheets whatever color you want and engrave away the paint. If you want colored lights, you might try using some of the "stained glass" paint that's translucent and use as a second coat after engraving...

David Sacks
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
How would I "glue?" say 1/16" wood to the frosted glass? Or would that veneer with pre-glue back do it? It needs to hold up for years..

Steve Kelsey
04-26-2010, 1:53 PM
I've never tried it but I suspect any AC glue would work (crazy glue style glues). I would just keep the glue away from the area directly where the lettering is going to be. Another option is double sided tape. They hold up well and would likely burn away during the lasering process.