PDA

View Full Version : First Bear Sighting of the Year.

Tony De Masi
04-25-2010, 5:29 PM
Last year when we moved to the country we caught a glimpse of a black bear in the yard. My wife insisted we get a game camera for this year so this is the first sighting of bear. For reference the log is about 14" in diameter and is 4 1/2' long.

Tony

James Rambo
04-25-2010, 5:52 PM
That's good timing for this post. I was just talking with the grandkids about camping in north Georgia in June. Maybe we will see deer, bear, and other wildlife.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2010, 6:10 PM
That's really cool Tony! What did you name him?

AL Ursich
04-25-2010, 7:46 PM
We have Chickens and even with a crow bar against the door of the Chicken Feed house the bear still got in by tearing off the heavy screen on the side window and smashing his way in.... Ripped open about a dozen bags of feed...

He has been back 4 more times doing some damage each time... I will be glad when the summer camps open hear so they will bother them... The path skirts the outside of Christmas Tree Patches..... Great place for a Bear to hide...

He has a tag in each ear....

Last spring I was on a early morning walk in our field along the brook and I was on my second loop around the field and I come upon a steaming pile of bear poop.... Who is following who???

This year I see Fresh but not steaming loads.....

AL

Dave Johnson29
04-25-2010, 8:43 PM
Yeah, well, I'd be happy with a bear sighting. I had a mountain lion run past my front gate two weeks back and then today a dog found some fresh crap in the front yard. Tracks everywhere, definitely ML.

Too close if you ask me, they are sneaky hunters and it has been drinking from the dog's water bowl too. Hell I just finished plumbing it all in with a float valve and now I am watering the local fauna. Maybe I should cover it up and it will leave. :)

Ahhh, country life on 20 acres in the wilds of Northern AZ. Good thing the dogs sleep in the house of a night.

Tony De Masi
04-26-2010, 7:11 AM
Steve, SWMBO calls him Boo-Boo. However, at some point I'd like to call him dinner.:D

Tony

Curt Harms
04-26-2010, 9:33 AM
I don't know your local creek/spring situation but supplying water in a dry area might be putting out the welcome mat.:) I'm not sure I'd be crazy about having a mountain lion for a close neighbor either. There have been documented cases of unprovoked mountain lion attacks on people.

Yeah, well, I'd be happy with a bear sighting. I had a mountain lion run past my front gate two weeks back and then today a dog found some fresh crap in the front yard. Tracks everywhere, definitely ML.

Too close if you ask me, they are sneaky hunters and it has been drinking from the dog's water bowl too. Hell I just finished plumbing it all in with a float valve and now I am watering the local fauna. Maybe I should cover it up and it will leave. :)

Ahhh, country life on 20 acres in the wilds of Northern AZ. Good thing the dogs sleep in the house of a night.

Dave Johnson29
04-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't know your local creek/spring situation

Hadta laugh at that one Curt, local springs and creeks? This is the high desert of Northern AZ. I don't know where the animals get their water, probably stock tanks, but the only creeks we have are when it rains and they only last about 20 minutes. :D It's a thirsty Earth around here.

Yup, that's why I am thinking of covering it each night. I might also mention the "front yard" is about 3 acres. Last year we had deer at the back door drinking from the dog's water bucket. They woke me about 3:00am clunking around on the concrete outside.

Now if I can just get the Mountain Lion and the deer coordinated, problem solved. ;):)

Lee Schierer
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
We have Chickens and even with a crow bar against the door of the Chicken Feed house the bear still got in by tearing off the heavy screen on the side window and smashing his way in.... Ripped open about a dozen bags of feed...

He has been back 4 more times doing some damage each time... I will be glad when the summer camps open hear so they will bother them... The path skirts the outside of Christmas Tree Patches..... Great place for a Bear to hide...

AL

Beekeepers use electric fences to keep bears out of their hives. You should be able to deter your bear with a fence charger and run wires around the door, windows or other openings where he might try to enter.

Jerome Hanby
04-26-2010, 4:32 PM
Beekeepers use electric fences to keep bees out of their hives.

Isn't that counterproductive? Sort of like watching Star Trek reruns to keep women out of your bed?:rolleyes: