PDA

View Full Version : Some ebonized doo dads

GLENN THOMAS
04-25-2010, 5:06 PM
I recently started experimenting with ebonizing and dying. The bowl is cherry and ebonized with vinegar and steel wool then topped off with a few coats of Formby's high gloss tung oil. The cherry had a greenish color to it when I ebonized it but the amber color of the tung oil gave a golden color. I dont have a better picture of it or one of the outside but its about 9 x 3.

The tea lights are also cherry which were ebonized the same way as the bowl and then dyed. A few coats of Danish oil and the buffed. This was the first time I tried the Danish oil and I have to say that Im hooked on it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2010, 5:12 PM
Sure is some interesting color variations for Cherry!

Nice looking bowl! I like the wide rim! Candle holders are pretty cool - the deep/dark red really stands out!

Nice work!

John Keeton
04-25-2010, 5:14 PM
Pretty neat! Have you read the Brian Boggs article on the ebonizing process? He uses some additives to increase the tannin in the wood.

The grain in the bowl almost looks like poplar. I really like the color on the tea lights. And, I think you are right, the finish seems a little better as well.

Nice job, Glenn.

Peter Fabricius
04-25-2010, 6:17 PM
Nice work Glenn;
You would like the results of ebonizing on Walnut...
Peter F.

David E Keller
04-25-2010, 8:27 PM
That looks like fun... Could you post a picture of your hands after a day of ebonizing and dying wood?:D

I like the deep colors of the tea lights.

Baxter Smith
04-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks good. I am going to be trying some dye in the not too distant future. Hope it comes out that well!

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Really nice pieces. Tea lights have great color and the bowl color with the grain really is nice. I have started experimenting with dyes and going to start doing some airbrushing. Oh yea gloves work well when doing these kinds of things.;):rolleyes: