PDA

View Full Version : Firewood treasures

John Keeton
04-25-2010, 4:28 PM
There have been a few threads recently on treasures recovered from the firewood stack.

Today, between other tasks, I loaded up all the firewood that was left over from winter, and took it up on the hill to store until next winter. This was the first of a couple of loads I bought from a fellow last fall before I started turning.

On the very bottom, was this chunk of cherry burl, and a piece of curly cherry!
Both are fairly dry, and the burl only has one crack in it. Wish I had the rest of that burl - it is pretty dense on the outside surface. A little limited in size, but I am looking forward to doing something with it.

Kind of made the chore of moving the wood a bit more enjoyable!

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2010, 4:43 PM
Hard to judge size - but looks like you could have some shallow bowls there - or a bunch of really nice stoppers!

Keep looking in that firewood pile - the rest of the burl might be there!

bob svoboda
04-25-2010, 4:45 PM
Nice find John. I'm sure you will find a way to make something spectacular out of it.

alex carey
04-25-2010, 8:17 PM
gnarly wood.

David E Keller
04-25-2010, 8:24 PM
Nice find. How much of the burl did you burn before finding this piece?

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2010, 9:49 PM
Nice find on some good looking wood John.

Mike McAfee
04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Good lookin stuff John, I look forward to seeing what ya do with it! I love digging through firewood piles!

Baxter Smith
04-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Nice finds. Should make for some good turnings! My wife is starting to roll her eyes everytime I pick up a piece of firewood and examine it from different angles!

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 6:55 AM
Nice find. How much of the burl did you burn before finding this piece?David, this piece was on the very bottom of the stack, and the only piece of burl in the entire load. This guy has a lot of firewood stacked up, and I suspect someone else got the rest of the burl - probably a nonturner, and it made a nice fire!:eek: