PDA

View Full Version : antiquetools.co.uk

Tim Sproul
11-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Anyone have any experience? Or how about other sources for hollows and rounds and molding planes?

Steve Wargo
11-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Tony Murland has an outstanding reputation, and I've purchased many moulding planes from him. One nice advantage is that if you use a fair amount of exotice it's easy to find a 50 or 55 deg pitch in the English planes. I only have 4 or 5 planes that are U.S. Made the rest are all English. When he sells his bastard H/R sets they are a pretty good bargain. If you have any problems with the order he'll certainly make it right. The nice thing about his site is that the price shown is the total. Nothing extra for shipping which usually takes about 8 -10 days. Hope this helps.

Steve Wargo
11-16-2004, 12:51 PM
If you actually call him and tell him what you're looking for he'll either have it or find it. For instance... Since furniture makers will rarely use a HR larger than a 10 you can ask for a set of matched pairs of 2,4,6,8 & 10's and hell ship them to you. He is very easy to work with. No affiliation, but a pleased customer.

Dave Anderson NH
11-16-2004, 1:16 PM
I have ordered from Tony and he was a delight to deal with. I once asked for 3 specific 50 degree hollows and rounds made by Griffiths of Norwich to fill in holes to complete a half set of evens. Within a day I had the price of $40 and two weeks later they were on my doorstep post paid. I have also purchased a curved sole Preston spokeshave from him in person at one of the LFOD auctions in Nashua, NH. I have yet to hear of anyone having a bad experience with him.

Louis Bois
11-16-2004, 1:37 PM
I have to concur with the other post"ers"...I've only had 1 dealing with Tony at this point, but it was a very pleasant experience. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him.

Pam Niedermayer
11-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Not the cheapest game in town, but mostly reasonable, and very good quality. I just bought 7 Addis spoons from him at $20 each. He only sent 6. When I told him (actually I told Nina), he shipped a couple more, a V-tool for good measure.

Pam

Tim Sproul
11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks all.

I'll be getting in touch with Tony for some planes.

I'm not familiar with the numbering of hollows and rounds....I'll surmise that smaller numbers are smaller radius planes?

Leif Hanson
11-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Here's a good page explaining Sizing Hollows and Rounds (http://www.calast.com/personal/ken/Sizing.htm)

HTH
Leif

Louis Bois
11-17-2004, 1:10 PM
Great article Leif...thanks for the info!!

Chris Padilla
11-17-2004, 4:56 PM
I don't know if it is easy but with two measurements (width and height) of the concave or convex cutter, you can calculate the radius of the circle it represents by:

r = (4h² + w²)/8h

The width might not be too bad but it could be a bit painful to measure the height.

Leif Hanson
11-17-2004, 6:22 PM
Actually, Chris - with hollows and rounds it's even easier, at least if they have been made in the traditional way, using 1/6th of a circle, or 60 degrees...

The width of the iron is equal to the radius of the curve (or 1/2 the diameter, whichever is your preference).

Edit - but you must be careful, as not all makers follow tradition.

Chris Padilla
11-17-2004, 6:36 PM
Leif,

Yes, how true and clever, too. The formula I presented is quite general to figuring out the radius of ANY curve if you can measure it's max height and length. :)

Ed Breen
11-19-2004, 1:02 PM
tIM,

I believe that japanwoodworkers catalog also carries a large selection of rounds etc. made in Hong Kong.

Ed