PDA

View Full Version : #32 - Thin Stemmed Tulip - A Study in Fragility!

John Keeton
04-25-2010, 4:06 PM
I have enjoyed doing the lidded pieces, as they seem to give me an opportunity to do all the different cuts - bowl turning and spindle turning. And, I would have to admit, I really enjoy the spindle stuff!!:)

This piece was conceived to be a part of the 2010 art challenge that Roland Martin suggested. However, I wanted to go on with it and I wasn't sure the challenge was going to gain ground.

It was also intended to be a personal challenge for me and an exercise in fine tool control on the spindle work - thank the good Lord for my lighted magnifier!:eek:
Big Leaf Maple Burl (from Mike Smith again!) and African Blackwood. The dimensions are 10.75" tall to the tip, 4.75" tall to the top of the stem, and the finial is 2.75" tall. At the rim, the cup is 3.75" wide.

The neck of the stem, in both places, is .09". The neck of the finial is .07". Both are sanded to 2000, and waxed only.

The tulip and lid have a WOP/BLO mix for the first coat, a wash coat of shellac, and several coats of spray on Deft gloss. Then they were rubbed out to a soft sheen.

PLEASE DO NOT SNEEZE WHILE VIEWING!!!:D:D This sucker weighs near nothing!

This is certainly not a functional piece, and to those folks that don't like the artsy stuff, I apologize in advance! And, if you don't like it, please feel free to tell me what you would do different - I am still learning this stuff.

Joyce Baldauf
04-25-2010, 4:11 PM
Outstanding! Love it. Not too artsy as all work was done on the lathe.:D

Ted Evans
04-25-2010, 4:17 PM
Your talents are amazing John and I really admire the attention to detail, beautiful piece even for those of us who are not artistically inclined.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2010, 4:25 PM
Beautiful work John! You should be proud of this one!

Really like the combination of wood, the color contrast and the delicate feel that the piece has! Great detail work on the pedestal and the finial!

Amazed at your progress and this piece really shows how much you have learned! Thanks for sharing!

Seriously looking forward to seeing what you come up with for #33!

gary Zimmel
04-25-2010, 4:30 PM
Wow John!
You just keep raising the bar higher and higher....
This will have to be in a display case to not only show it off but to preserve that finial.

Sweet work again.
And now on to #33.

GLENN THOMAS
04-25-2010, 4:41 PM
John,

Very nice work. Just got through looking at your gallery and I have a feeling that one day I will be looking at some of your pieces in book.

GT

Bill Bulloch
04-25-2010, 4:47 PM
I really like this piece -- excellent job. As I've said before, "you are getting good with these finials".

Kevin J Lalonde
04-25-2010, 4:57 PM
Well John. I've looked at all of your pieces and then looked at what I have done and have decided to sell my lathe. You and I started at the same time and I do belive that there is something wrong with me. Your work so far has been nothing short of amazing. Keep it up Keeton!! Looking forward to the next piece.

Sid Matheny
04-25-2010, 4:58 PM
Another WOW project from John. I have never seen anyone do so well so fast when it comes to turning. I always look forward to you next posting.

Sid

Fred Perreault
04-25-2010, 5:16 PM
Johnny, you seem to have learned well.... I could never gather the patience or finesse to accomplish something like that.

Tony De Masi
04-25-2010, 5:22 PM
Outstanding work John. From the wood combo to the fine execution you gave it. Wow.

Tony

John W Dixon
04-25-2010, 5:50 PM
Gorgeous work John. The detail you are achieving is awesome and inspiring at the same time. Nice, Nice, Nice.

John

dan carter
04-25-2010, 6:19 PM
The agustness of your tulip is quite impressive. Keep up the good work. You better hope nobody sends you a more powerful magnifying lens. :-)

John Hart
04-25-2010, 6:24 PM
Magnificant work Mr. Keeton. I love the balance in the dimensions as well. Eye Candy. :)

Ken Glass
04-25-2010, 7:02 PM
John,
Are you sure your not just showing some Cindy Drozda's pieces? (A Big LOL)
I haven't posted or responded in a while as I have been rebuilding my MGB, but, I had to stop and let you know how amazing your work has become in such a short time. This piece is great on all levels, including form, dimension, shape, proportion and skill level. You are really getting the fine detail down on your pedestals and finials. Very Well Done, John.

John Tomasello jr
04-25-2010, 7:09 PM
I am still learning this stuff.
John your work is truly amazing, each new piece is more spectacular then the last. Your work raises the bar for us mere mortals.

Roland Martin
04-25-2010, 7:21 PM
I have enjoyed doing the lidded pieces, as they seem to give me an opportunity to do all the different cuts - bowl turning and spindle turning. And, I would have to admit, I really enjoy the spindle stuff!!:)

This piece was conceived to be a part of the 2010 art challenge that Roland Martin suggested. However, I wanted to go on with it and I wasn't sure the challenge was going to gain ground.

It was also intended to be a personal challenge for me and an exercise in fine tool control on the spindle work - thank the good Lord for my lighted magnifier!:eek:
Big Leaf Maple Burl (from Mike Smith again!) and African Blackwood. The dimensions are 10.75" tall to the tip, 4.75" tall to the top of the stem, and the finial is 2.75" tall. At the rim, the cup is 3.75" wide.

The neck of the stem, in both places, is .09". The neck of the finial is .07". Both are sanded to 2000, and waxed only.

The tulip and lid have a WOP/BLO mix for the first coat, a wash coat of shellac, and several coats of spray on Deft gloss. Then they were rubbed out to a soft sheen.

PLEASE DO NOT SNEEZE WHILE VIEWING!!!:D:D This sucker weighs near nothing!

This is certainly not a functional piece, and to those folks that don't like the artsy stuff, I apologize in advance! And, if you don't like it, please feel free to tell me what you would do different - I am still learning this stuff.

My sincere apologies John, and all others for dropping the ball on getting the challenge going. I've way over-scheduled my workload @ the shop and have been paying the price, a minimum of 70 hrs./wk. I will do my best to get this going soon.

John, I have the utmost respect in your artistic abilities and your obvious turning abillities. This is an absolutely lovely piece with incredible delicate details that all come together exquisitely. The wood combination and finish are also fabulous. If I feel a sneeze coming on, I promise to log off quickly:D

Bill Bolen
04-25-2010, 7:48 PM
John your progression in this spinny stuff has been amazing to watch. Gorgeous well thought out piece. Gotta say I love the colors too...Bill..

brian watts
04-25-2010, 7:55 PM
WOW . is all i can say .

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-25-2010, 7:58 PM
John,
I'm not a turner so I don't visit this section. I sure am happy I chose today to look. Your turning is delicate and your mix and match of woods is just plain visionary.
butch

David E Keller
04-25-2010, 8:09 PM
Beautiful piece. It is very well balanced to me, and I love the wood combination. The finial work is very nice, and I appreciate your enthusiasm for and progress in the art of fine finials.

Not a criticism but a harmless thought... I wonder what this piece would look like with a bit more outward flare near the lip of the 'tulip'? I love it as is, but I find myself looking at the work of others and wondering what I might do differently or how changes to a piece would effect the overall look.

I've begun to double down on my anti-depressants before opening your project threads... I've been turning much longer, but I'll probably never produce anything that looks like that.

Chris Rae
04-25-2010, 8:09 PM
Wow!!! What an incredible piece!!!

Michael Armstrong
04-25-2010, 8:25 PM
John:
You really achieve a 'wow' factor with your turnings. I enjoy spending time on here looking at your work. Of course everyone else's stuff ain't too shabby either!

Michael

alex carey
04-25-2010, 8:34 PM
fantastic piece!

This is probably just me, but does anyone think the pedestal is just a little disproportionate, just seems to go from big to too small a bit too quickly.

Curt Fuller
04-25-2010, 8:49 PM
fantastic piece!

This is probably just me, but does anyone think the pedestal is just a little disproportionate, just seems to go from big to too small a bit too quickly.

I thought I'd read through the comments, see what everyone else thought before I posted. This is 100% high octane pure eye candy. Absolutely beautiful. But if there was anything that might possibly improve it, and again I say might and possibly, it would be a slightly larger base on the pedestal. I'm seeing something similar to what Alex has pointed out. Photo angles can cause the proportions to appear different than they really are though. I'd love to see and hold this one in my hand. This is one of the best turnings I've seen in a while.

Thomas Canfield
04-25-2010, 9:23 PM
I'm not qualified to even comment on this. It looks great. Forget sneezing when looking - I would have worried about the pressure applying the spray finish, and more so the WOP/BLO initial finish. Great piece.

Richard Madison
04-25-2010, 9:31 PM
Very nice work John. Agree that the base could be a tad larger and the pedestal could be a tad shorter for better overall balance, but still an excellent piece. Shows what can be achieved in a relatively short time when one tries hard and works at it (IMO).

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Absolutely beautiful John. Really well done. I think this has to be my favorite piece.

Paul Atkins
04-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Speechless again---Ain't life grand!

Steve Vaughan
04-25-2010, 10:20 PM
You done good there John! You're doing incredible work.

James Roberts
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I am still learning this stuff.

You have it all wrong John, I am still learning! You have gone way beyond the learning curve. What a beautiful piece. I am in awe of your "Newbie" skills.

Baxter Smith
04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Since it had been well over a week since number 31, I figured this one was going to have even more parts and more finials. You didn't dissapoint! If you were looking for a finial challenge I think you got it, and met it!

Just finished watching your Drozda DVD. My eyes got tired just watching on a wide screen. Thats a whole new ballgame!

charlie knighton
04-26-2010, 12:32 AM
very nice....

Mike McAfee
04-26-2010, 2:57 AM
Flippin fantastic work John, just flat out gorgeous! The finial and pedestal are master craftsman quality IMO!!!!! What are you using for your fine detail work? Ellsworth shows how to change a spindle gouge to a detail gouge in one of his books. I reshaped one of mine the other night but have yet to give it a try!

Definitely going into my "Inspiration File"!

MMc

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 6:51 AM
Guys and gals, you all would make a feller's head swell!! Thanks for taking the time to look, and as always, I do appreciate all the comments. You all are great!

And, it is fantastic to get some non-turners over on this side. All that much closer to the irresistible forces of the vortex!!:D:D I know of what I speak!:)

My sincere apologies John, and all others for dropping the ball on getting the challenge going. I've way over-scheduled my workload @ the shop and have been paying the price, a minimum of 70 hrs./wk. I will do my best to get this going soon.
Roland, no apology necessary!!! I understand the demands of everyday life, and family and job come first! It was just that when you mentioned the challenge, I started thinking of what I could do, and this piece came to mind. I needed to go with it, as it "needed to be done!":D;) I need to strike while the idea is there, or risk never doing it.

John,
I'm not a turner so I don't visit this section. I sure am happy I chose today to look. Your turning is delicate and your mix and match of woods is just plain visionary.
butch
Butch, you should try it! I have done flatwork for a longtime, and I can tell you, the self satisfaction of turning greatly exceeds the enjoyment of doing furniture!

Not a criticism but a harmless thought... I wonder what this piece would look like with a bit more outward flare near the lip of the 'tulip'? I love it as is, but I find myself looking at the work of others and wondering what I might do differently or how changes to a piece would effect the overall look.
David, I know this piece is cutting close to the line of "top heavy", and may have gone over, but I was afraid of having any more "weight" on the top. I knew I wanted a very thin stem, and had I done a heavier looking cup, I may have needed to go heavier with the stem. But, you may be right. Perhaps someday I will do a variation and try a little more flair.

What are you using for your fine detail work? Ellsworth shows how to change a spindle gouge to a detail gouge in one of his books. I reshaped one of mine the other night but have yet to give it a try!MMc
Mike, other than using a roughing and larger spindle gouge to round out the finial and stem blanks, all of the work was done with a Thompson's 3/8" detail gouge, and my homemade Drozda Vortex tool. My detail gouge is swept back a little more than originally ground, and the tip has a little less radius. I think if one were to get much smaller in detail, it might be nice to have one of Doug's 1/4" detail gouges, and that is probably on my short list of things to get!;) For the undercuts on the fine work, the Vortex tool is fantastic.

Thanks, again, everyone!

steven carter
04-26-2010, 9:38 AM
John,

Another top notch turning! I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Steve

Joe Aliperti
04-26-2010, 9:56 AM
WOW! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amazing piece and craftsmanship.

The dimensions/shape of the stem and finial look PERFECT to my eye. Amazing work, John. Keep it up!

Terry Murphy
04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
:):):)

wow!

Tim Rinehart
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
The attention to detail is inspiring...I've only started trying to make finials like that...and have snapped more than I care to say.

The symmetry between the stem and the finial is spot-on, natural flows for the eye.

I haven't seen alot of pieces like this up close, but noticed what appears to be a small ledge just inside the vessel for the lid to set on, correct? I don't know that I'd have thought of that without seeing it first, but perhaps trial and error would have showed that the lid just won't stay straight without it.
I'm glad I've seen yours first!

Super piece, I like it alot.

Toney Robertson
04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Beautiful vessel, lid and finial.

I have to go with Alex on this one, the pedestal seems out of proportion to me. A shorter and maybe a bit heavier pedestal would IMO give it more balance.

Toney

Keith Burns
04-26-2010, 2:06 PM
John, technically speaking, it dosen't get any better. It' is a great piece. You have a great eye for detail and that is important. The proportions are off to my eye anyway. The pedestall is too tall and it looks bottom heavy. I think part of what causes the heavy look is the portion below the onion bulb. I think more separation between the bulb and the part below it would lighten it up. Same holds true on the finial. I hope this makes sense.

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 3:12 PM
Steven, Joe and Terry, thanks!!

I haven't seen alot of pieces like this up close, but noticed what appears to be a small ledge just inside the vessel for the lid to set on, correct? I don't know that I'd have thought of that without seeing it first, but perhaps trial and error would have showed that the lid just won't stay straight without it.
I'm glad I've seen yours first!

Super piece, I like it alot.
Tim, thanks, and you are correct. There is a slight shelf that supports the lid. I have not attempted one without a shelf, but I doubt it would sit level without it.

Beautiful vessel, lid and finial.

I have to go with Alex on this one, the pedestal seems out of proportion to me. A shorter and maybe a bit heavier pedestal would IMO give it more balance.

ToneyThanks. These things are so subjective, it is hard to know what appeals to most folks. Even when I do them, I second guess myself most times. I can see your thinking, and Ms. Keeton seems to agree. For me, it works, but then I have done a total of ONE of these - so, my opinion isn't worth much!!:o

John, technically speaking, it dosen't get any better. It' is a great piece. You have a great eye for detail and that is important. The proportions are off to my eye anyway. The pedestall is too tall and it looks bottom heavy. I think part of what causes the heavy look is the portion below the onion bulb. I think more separation between the bulb and the part below it would lighten it up. Same holds true on the finial. I hope this makes sense.Keith, thanks for the comments and input. Yes, it does make sense. I have looked at several of your pieces, and I believe I understand what you are saying. More ideas for the next one!! This one is set in concrete at this point - well, epoxy anyway!;)

alex carey
04-26-2010, 3:31 PM
Keith kinda hit on what I was trying to say, something about that bulb catches my eye funny.

Course like you said, there is no pleasing everyone, no matter what you do. It still in my mind objectively perfect.

alex carey
04-26-2010, 3:32 PM
"in my mind objectively perfect" that makes no sense at all.

Brian Effinger
04-26-2010, 5:15 PM
Oh Wow! With every new turning I say to myself, that is the best yet and it will be tough to beat, but here we go again. :) It is really beautiful, John. I'll have to disagree with some because I like the finial and pedestal a lot. You are really getting thin with your turnings.

My only critique is about the base. It seems like it could be a little bit larger in diameter (which would mean a little taller too). In my mind, I'm striking an arc from the lip of the cup portion, down along the pedestal to the thinnest part and flaring out at the onion to the base. It wouldn't take much... maybe 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

In any event, it is a stunning piece, and I am amazed at the quality of the work. You have really progressed at an astonishing speed.

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2010, 9:02 PM
John Keeton, may I have your autograph? Keep turning out stuff like this and you're going to be famous. And we can say we knew you when all you did was flat work!

Richard Dooling
04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Another jaw dropper. Looks what happens when you combine great skill with artistic vision.

You have built an amazing catalog in such a short time!

John Keeton
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
You guys are just too much!:o I do appreciate the comments - very much, even though it may be that you all are too easily impressed???:)

Ken Hill
04-27-2010, 1:06 PM
Stunning work!!

Mike Svoma
04-27-2010, 1:43 PM
Simply beautiful, John. You have gotten really good at this turning thing in such a short time. Lots of bowls and hollow forms with finials.

I have a challenge for you..........try doing an inside out form of some sort.

John Keeton
04-27-2010, 3:57 PM
Simply beautiful, John. You have gotten really good at this turning thing in such a short time. Lots of bowls and hollow forms with finials.

I have a challenge for you..........try doing an inside out form of some sort.Ken, Mike, thanks!! And, Mike, I might consider accepting the challenge if I had any idea what an "inside out form" was!?!?:confused:

Mike Svoma
04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi John. Larry Marley has a good video on his website showing the making of an inside out ornament. He is a contributor here. www.marleyturned.com (http://www.marleyturned.com)

alex carey
04-28-2010, 12:59 AM
if you want John's autograph just do a wood swap with him :).

Doug W Swanson
04-28-2010, 8:13 AM
John,

You'd better stop raising the bar. Now everyone is going to expect this kind of work from you. If you post a simple bowl next week, you might get laughed at! :D

Even though I'm not really into the delicate works, I can sure appreciate them.

This one is just beautiful!

Doug

Hilel Salomon
04-28-2010, 1:26 PM
Ditto and Exclamation points on all the praise. I'm not a jealous person, but I do envy your talent!!!!!

Hilel.

Mark Hubl
04-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Very nice John, Drozda is running scarred. Going to have to try one of them finial things one of these days.

By the way the photogs are pretty nice as well.

Alan Huey
04-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Very fabulous work.

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 7:07 AM
I thought this one had run its course, but I certainly appreciate the additional comments!

Hi John. Larry Marley has a good video on his website showing the making of an inside out ornament. He is a contributor here. www.marleyturned.com (http://www.marleyturned.com) Thanks, Mike! Interesting video, and I also took time to look at some of Curt Fuller's inside out ornaments. Sure is some food for thought - one could do an interesting piece with some planning!:)

if you want John's autograph just do a wood swap with him :).Alex, my signature is much easier to get than that - 37 years of documents in courthouses across central KY!!:eek: Not exactly a scarce item - and, actually, it more often conjures up feelings of detest!:D;)

Very nice John, Drozda is running scarred. Going to have to try one of them finial things one of these days.

By the way the photogs are pretty nice as well.Mark, thanks so much for the comments! I doubt Cindy has anything to fear from me. She has many years of experience behind her, and old age will catch up to me before I can even get close to her level of expertise.

Roland Martin
04-29-2010, 7:28 AM
You guys are just too much!:o I do appreciate the comments - very much, even though it may be that you all are too easily impressed???:)

John, I think you make it easy for us to be impressed:)

James Combs
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I just wish I had tenth of your originality. I can pledgeurize, copy, duplicate, and otherwise make nice anythings but originality is not my long suite.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 5:58 PM
A BIG congrats to John on being awarded today's cover on World of Woodturners (WOW)! That is quite the honor as the cover is subject to worldwide competition!

Way to go John!

Kevin J Lalonde
04-29-2010, 6:31 PM
I guess John would say that "they (WOW) are just easily impressed".;)Congrats John on the well deserved recognition!!

Curt Fuller
04-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Big congratulations John! And well deserved!

Brian Effinger
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
A BIG congrats to John on being awarded today's cover on World of Woodturners (WOW)! That is quite the honor as the cover is subject to worldwide competition!

Way to go John!
Congrats John! :)

Mike Svoma
05-01-2010, 4:12 PM
John....YOU ROCK!

John Keeton
05-01-2010, 6:41 PM
I really appreciate the "extra" applause.:o:o Needless to say, I was pleasantly shocked at the honor, and even more so at the kind reception from a lot of very talented folks! I have finally drifted back down to earth!:) Thanks, again.

brian watts
05-01-2010, 6:50 PM
MR .john i have look at this SO SO many times and WOW every time i look at it.........

Baxter Smith
05-01-2010, 7:06 PM
Never heard of it (till I googled it) but I don't travel in those rarified circles. Not sure if thats amazing, impressive or both! I Guess I would say both. Congratulations John!