PDA

View Full Version : Hall Tree Question

Leigh Costello
04-25-2010, 2:10 PM
Hello everyone, my hubby is making a hall tree for a friend using an old seto of golf clubs and some cedar we have. What would be the best way to attach the club to the cedar. He has cut the shaft with the "club end" and it is hollow. Would glue work best or using a pin of some sort. Thanks in advance.

Lex Boegen
04-25-2010, 3:51 PM
Epoxy glue works well for joining dissimilar materials (such as metal to wood). Tapering a dowel for a snug fit to the shaft would probably work well. It's hard to say because I don't know what he intends to do with the clubs. Are they just for decoration, or will they be used for structural support in some way?

Dave Shawley
04-25-2010, 8:29 PM
I got this idea from a recent article about making rolling pins of all things. What about constructing a hexagonal post with coves for the club shafts in the center. Then glue them with a general purpose cement (e.g., liquid nail) and wrap the post in copper wire every foot or so. The combination should look pretty nice together. I'm thinking of something like this:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UwXWiiOuxNo/S9Tg8xgXwxI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/yfX1x6z2JQs/s400/Hall%20Tree%20Design.jpg

Leigh Costello
04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Lex,

The club heads will be the "hooks" for the coats.
Thanks for the tip about the dowel.

Leigh Costello
04-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Dave,

That looks like something he could try next time. Thanks for posting the picture.