PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly g0555

Steve Bearden
04-25-2010, 7:35 AM
Hey Guys, Well i finally got the new G0555 setup yesterday. Had a little problem with the shipping on this(they said that the shipping company had lost the saw, How the heck do you lose a 200 pound box I don't know but). I e-mailed grizzly and their customer support was very fast and helpful on this issue. Took about 2 hours to get it put together and add the riser block. Now I just got to get her tuned up and adjusted then it's on like donkey kong. I am very pleased with how everything went together. The instructions were very good and all the hardware was there and very well marked. This is my first bandsaw so i still need to learn the technics of cuts with it (but should make some good sawdust HAHA). Overall I would give grizzly a 1 3/4 thumbs up for the saw and shipping process. Thanks for all the reviews on here that steered me towards this saw. now gotta get to slinging some wood. later

Howard Acheson
04-25-2010, 1:00 PM
As you are unfamiliar with a bandsaw, let me suggest you buy Lonnie Birds Band Saw Book or Mark Duginske's The New Complete Guide to the Band Saw. Amazon will have either.

Both will tell you how to align your saw with precision, what size blades to get and use depending on the cuts you plan to make (there is no one "general purpose" blade) and how to chose the blade to use depending on the cut you want to make. These books will also tell you how to get the most out of this very versatile tool.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2010, 1:16 PM
Steve,

Congrats on the saw! I agree with Howard. Get Mark Duginske's latest book. I bought it twice. Loaned out the first one. It didn't come home. I ordered the 2nd one from Amazon.... The New Complete Guide to the Band Saw: Everything You Need to Know About the Most Important Saw in the Shop (http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272216469&sr=1-1) by Mark Duginske $13.57

Excellent shop reference! Excellent!

Aaron Wingert
04-25-2010, 3:02 PM
That's a great saw. I had one and later upgraded to a larger machine. In hindsight I wish I had never got rid of the G0555. You'll be really happy with it I'm sure.

Do yourself a favor and throw out the blade that came with it. It will dissapoint you and make you think that the saw isn't that great when the $9 blade that came with it just handicaps its performance. Grizzly sells Timberwolf blades in their catalog......Order a couple of them and you'll be glad you did.

Neil Brooks
04-25-2010, 3:05 PM
Couldn't agree MORE with Aaron about the OEM blade.

I've got the G0555X, and was SURE the blade was either upside down or backward.

Once I went to the TW blades, though .... ooooooohhhhhhhh, does that thing cut, beautifully.

Congrats on the new saw!

Steve Bearden
04-25-2010, 4:23 PM
You boys are sooooo right. I put the stock blade on and made a few resaw cuts. Was not horrible but I thought should not have to push so hard. I got a woodslicer 1/2" in the mail the other day so I put it on and tuned it up. MAN you talk about a freakin difference. It was amazing. I had to try the stock blade so I could tell what a good blade would feel like. Now I know. I might try the timberwolf also since i can get them localy. but I give the woodslicer 4 thumbs up for sure. Thanks for all the info guys it really helps to have knowledge at my finger tips. Thanks

Howard Acheson
04-25-2010, 8:06 PM
Of course, the blade supplied with the saw should not be used for resawing. It's not a resaw blade. A resaw blade on that tools should be a 1/2" 3 tpi. For the smoothest resaw cut, I find a Lenox Tri-Master to be the best.

However, I found the supplied blade to be OK for standard cuts in 3/4" stock. I replaced it after about six months as it had been damaged when I hit a hidden nail.