PDA

View Full Version : Classified question...re Engraving

Joseph Tovar
04-25-2010, 6:18 AM
I know there is a classified section in the SMC forum, but it's seams that all the equipment for sale is mixture of tools from all sections. Is there any way to find or sell items specific to the engravers forum? For example I'm always looking for items related to laser engraving, but when I visit the classifieds, there are all kinds of tools/equipment for sale and sometimes the laser related items slip by to older pages.

Anyways, I was wondering if classifieds for items related to engraving can be put in the "Engravers Forum" section or if all "for sale" items are only allowed in the "Classified Forum".....And if they have to go in the classified section, is there a way to highlight or mark the item for sale as an engraver related item? I have some items for sale and would like to highlight them as being engraver related.

Thanks!

Mike Null
04-25-2010, 7:50 AM
Joseph.

All "for sale" items must be placed in the Classified Forum. There is a good reason for this and it's much the same reason we have an engraver's forum a finishing forum, etc. That is to keep things together for easier use by members.

Under the title of the thread you may list "engraving" as part of the description of your items. In order to post in the Classifed Forum you must be a contributor.

Viktor Voroncov
04-25-2010, 8:11 AM
Mike, IMHO Mike said good proposal - just make few 3-4 subforums in CLASSIFIEDS and that's all - like WOODWORKING, ENGRAVING and etc. SMC became really huge source of helpful information and this option will add flexibility.

Dan Hintz
04-25-2010, 9:30 AM
This topic is brought up from time to time, but in the end it always comes back to leaving it all in the same forum. I've also suggested offering a way to tag posts for a certain group (color, keywords, etc.), but it's a timesink to program that neither Keith nor Aaron has at the moment.

Lee DeRaud
04-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I've also suggested offering a way to tag posts for a certain group (color, keywords, etc.), but it's a timesink to program that neither Keith nor Aaron has at the moment.Uh, doesn't vBulletin already allow you to add (and search by) tags at the thread level?
(At least I assume that's what the "Tag" box down at the bottom is for.)

Mike Null
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Victor

Your idea will certainly be considered but because something is used for engraving doesn't mean that it is not also used for other work. Just to name a few, veneer, wood thins, baltic birch, pen boxes etc.

Finishing items can be used in several forums. Engraving machines can be appealing to all woodworkers as an additional tool in their arsenal.

Dan Hintz
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Lee,

Yes, but it's not a feature most are aware of, not to mention getting them to use it is another beast to slay. Tags can also be inconsistent (even minor misspellings can lose a thread from the search engine). A dropdown list of "expected" tags would make for a more consistent, searchable forum.