PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale gloat

Andrew Gibson
04-24-2010, 9:18 PM
So I spotted a tool estate sale auction for today on CL that was only about a mile from the Lie Nielsen tool event, so I thought I would swing by and attend my first auction.

A Bunch of stuff sold in larger lots then I wanted to buy just to get 1 or 2 things and they really weren't worth asking to be drug out and made into smaller lots for a starting bid of $10.

I had them put a big roll of steel wool and a brand new glue pot together and darned if an old man didn't stone wall me. (no offence to any old men out there :D)

Anyway I picked up a new 2&3/8" forstner bit in a nice wooden box for $10 and two big lots of clamps for a total of $70.

So at the end of the sale I walked away with 42 assorted clamps (mostly 6", 12", and 18" bar clamps) a woodcraft holdfast and big forstner bit for $80. I think I did pretty good for my first time.

I also got to talk to Ron Brese again today for a while ( I stopped by Yesterday and ended up staying most of the afternoon) and I met our very own Rick Markham ( It was great to get to meat you Rick!)

All and all I would call it a good day.

Rick Markham
04-24-2010, 9:44 PM
That sounds like a much more productive day than I had! I got to go to the event, see all the tools I wanted to take home today... and had to leave them LOL. It's OK, I will just have to make an order soon.

Sounds like you did pretty fantastic at the estate sale! Next one you hear about you will have to let me know! I think I managed to get Tiffany pretty interested too, her and her father have done some woodworking in the past and she wants to start again. Do you belong to any woodworker's clubs? Do ya ever end up in Lakeland? It was cool getting to meet you.

Ron Brese is one heck of guy! I wish I could have spent a lil more time picking his brain, good thing for Sawmill creek. If ya'll creekers ever get a chance to go meet Ron take it, he is one smart cookie! Thanks for showing me your and Jameel's sharpening technique, and those are some amazing planes and bench vises... Next time bring Jameel with ya! guess I am gonna have to build a bench now... for some reason the Sjobergs bench just looks like a play toy now. (It will have to do for now)

Tiffany got to go have some lunch and a shopping trip at the mall (good suggestion Ron) and I still managed to leave with some "folding" money in my pocket :D

David Christopher
04-24-2010, 9:50 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=347&pictureid=3349

Andrew Gibson
04-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Rick I am planning to join the Tampa woodcraft's club. I met them at the tool show a few months ago and went to a meeting and had a really good time. Though I really help bring down the Median age... The more experience I can expose myself to the better. I don't usually make my way to lakeland, but I was up there a few weeks ago visiting a lumber yard. If I am headed your way I will be sure to shoot you a line. I hope if you are around these parts you will let me know.

As for Ron, He blew me a away and he knew me from here! His bench was beautiful... one of these days I will have to build a bench and hopefully I will be able to afford at least one of those tail vises.

Rick Erickson
04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, like "they" say - you can't have too many clamps. Nice score.

Rick - I can't believe you left there without a purchase. I admire your self control. I've met Ron a few times here in Atlanta. I was taking a class with Rob Cosman and Ron walks in with a brand new plane he was delivering to Rob. We all got a chance to play with it. I would love to get one of his small smoothers.

Rick Markham
04-25-2010, 2:16 AM
Rick, not sure if it was self control or the thought of not being able to make my next mortgage payment, or eat for the next month LOL That and not being able to choose :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got to try Ron's new smoother, the one thats in stainless, and is a bedrock type design. All I can say is WOW! His planes are really amazing pieces of functional art. The absolutely most beautiful perfect shaving I have ever seen came out... just like Jameel's video of the plane on a string. Now I just need to sell most of my worldly (non woodworking of course) possessions so I can get him to make me one.

Andrew, was it Hardwood Lumber and Millwork you were visiting here in Lakeland? I have gotten to know the owner Jim Hamer and his son Kevin Hamer, they are great guys and often have some great looking boards. They also have a woodworking club that meets once a month at their shop, it has been a few years since I have gotten to go (I forget about it) but it might be worth checking out too. I am definitely going to have to check out the Tampa club. Gotta love the older generation, they are the ones with all the good tips and tricks ;)

Andrew Gibson
04-25-2010, 9:25 AM
Yea it was hardwood Lumber and Millwork. Jim had a ton of stuff and I ended up wandering around for a good couple hours looking arould. I felt bad because I didn't buy anything... He just gave me to many options to make up my mind.