PDA

View Full Version : first ever segmented bowl

Steve Vaughan
04-24-2010, 8:04 PM
OK, been wanting to make one because ya'll have inspired me. First attempt and it almost made it to the nice gift category. But, it turned out to just be an experimental piece this time 'round.

It's maple and walnut. Size is 6 3/4" in diameter, 2 1/4" deep. Walls are about 1/8" and a tiny bit thinner near the rim. Thanks for the courage ya'll! :)

John Hart
04-24-2010, 8:06 PM
I like it!!
Maple and walnut is my favorite combo. Segmentation ain't my cup of tea though....I fail every attempt.

Nice piece :)

Randy Gazda
04-24-2010, 8:09 PM
Very nice looking bowl.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert McGowen
04-24-2010, 8:37 PM
It makes me strangely dizzy looking at it for too long.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2010, 8:58 PM
Steve - great job on the bowl! Interesting design!

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 9:18 PM
UH OH!! No more kindlin' from your shop!! You will be saving every piece of wood now.

Nice work - love walnut and maple together!

David E Keller
04-24-2010, 9:20 PM
Pretty good for a first go I think. I know nothing about segmenting, and strangely, it's a part of the vortex that I seem to be able to resist. I do like the visual effect. Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 9:33 PM
That is a beauty. Really nice wood combo.

Steve Vaughan
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
It will definitely play with your eyes...but it's way worse when you're actually putting the thing together :eek:! Thanks for the comments, and thanks to whoever it was on the board that told me to google "bowl from a board" or something like after someone else had put a segmented bowl on here.

I like the effect and look forward to playing around with some other pieces. It sure allows for a lot of creativity and flexibility. This was glued up and then cut out with the bandsaw, not sure I'm ready for the actual segmented pieces that so many of ya'll are so gifted doing.

Richard Madison
04-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Very nice first piece of that genre Steve. Was going to comment on "segmented" vs. "laminated", but see that you do know the difference. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.