PDA

View Full Version : PM2000 Casters Disintegrated

Rick Akl
04-24-2010, 6:32 PM
So, I'm going to be floating the slab in my shop and I go to push my PM2000 around on its integrated casters only to find the saw won't budge. Begrudgingly, I flip the saw on its back, putting everything out of alignment and find that the red plastic caster wheels have come apart. I'm not talking about one. They all disintegrated! Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

Van Huskey
04-24-2010, 9:51 PM
I heard about this happening to some early saws, I thought this was rectified. How old is your saw?

Rick Akl
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
I heard about this happening to some early saws, I thought this was rectified. How old is your saw?
I bought it back in 6/07. I've never really moved the table saw since I situated it. I'll contact Powermatic since it's still under warranty.

Van Huskey
04-25-2010, 1:01 AM
I bought it back in 6/07. I've never really moved the table saw since I situated it. I'll contact Powermatic since it's still under warranty.

Sorry to hear about that, let us know how it goes.

Chip Lindley
04-25-2010, 3:07 AM
Disintegrated HOW, Rick? Wheels deformed or cracked in two?

I have had soft rubber casters go *flat* on the bottom after resting in one spot for a long time; but Never disintegrated! Those red polyurethane casters are supposed to fix all that. I quote from a popular store's online discription for 3" double locking swivel casters:

"Load rating for each caster is 300 lbs. Easy rolling, non-marring, polyurethane tires will not "flat spot" during long periods of remaining stationary."

Yours are red?? Hmm...

Rick Akl
04-25-2010, 7:57 AM
My casters are the red variety. The poly just turned hard and broke into tiny pieces.

Tom Godley
04-25-2010, 9:20 AM
Mine is from 8/07 -- Maybe I should check them !!

Rockler had a cracking/ de-lamination problem on one line of casters they sell -- wonder if its the same stuff.

george wilson
04-25-2010, 9:42 AM
They'll possibly send more that will disintegrate. Can you put on some small cast iron wheel casters?

I made some pull out trolley/shelves that live under one of my workbenches. Put those type on it. I can put 1000# on each shelf. This was for my machine shop section of workshop,where I have very heavy accessories.

Rick Akl
04-25-2010, 4:47 PM
I can remove the wheels on the Powermatic casters. I may try out those wheels if I can find them in the right size.

Glen Butler
04-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Mine are late 05, early 06. They roll just fine. My problem is the gumming up of the chain and threads with sawdust. Has anyone figured a solution for that?