PDA

View Full Version : PVC-Shop vac

Brendan Plavis
04-24-2010, 6:13 PM
I recently purchased a Delta BS. But the issue is, the dust collection port is too stinking large for my shop vac's hose. I was thinking of attaching a piece of PVC, then attaching the shop vac to it, by making a step down with cardboard(essentially tape a piece on, then cut a hole just big enough for the SVAC.)

Would this work?

I am having trouble with my saw blowing fine red dust all over the garage... I am beginning to sneeze out paper...

I dont currently have the funds to buy a DC system, and the only reason I have this idea, is because I happen to have a piece of PVC(I think its 4in ID), and cardboard is usually lying around from my toys that I buy atleast a few times a year...(computer parts, surround sound, you name it...)

Thanks
-Brendan

Dan Friedrichs
04-24-2010, 6:18 PM
Sure, that would work fine.

The other thing you can do is get a rubber pipe coupler (called "Fernco" coupler) with hose clamps on it, which can usually be stretched or compressed (with the hose clamps) to fit your application - see attached picture. Lowes carries these.

Brendan Plavis
04-24-2010, 6:27 PM
Okay thanks....

I have to try and keep the dust out of the air(asthema, reflux(says the doctor... I think its just from too much sawdust) not to mention how I hate to cough up red dust(or yellow depending on what I am working with) and sneeze out paper....

Neil Brooks
04-24-2010, 6:37 PM
I also once bought a 2-1/2" > 4" adaptor for just the same reason ... before I got my DC.

Worked fine ... particularly since bandsaws are notoriously rather weak, unmodified, for dust collection.

I think Woodcraft sells them. Mine probably came from Amazon.com.

Cheap.

Dan Friedrichs
04-24-2010, 9:30 PM
I'd also recommend a HEPA filter for your shop vac, then. The "CleanStream Pro" filter fits many shop vacs, and many people here on SMC have them and love them (me included). I think they're like $30, and last significantly longer than standard filters (plus, they're HEPA).

David Christopher
04-24-2010, 9:46 PM
check these out

http://www.nosawdust.com/reducers.htm