PDA

View Full Version : My First Gloat

Charlie Gummer
04-24-2010, 5:21 PM
Some of you will remember recent threads in which I've asked for advice on both bandsaws and jointers. A brief re-cap: my wife and I are currently renting our house from her parents. My 'shop', like so many others, is our garage. Currently there is no 220V service available and there isn't really any interest in renovating the wiring.

I've been interested for quite some time in acquiring a 14" bandsaw for re-sawing and for cutting curves. I originally started my search focused on the Grizzly GO555. This turned into the GO555X which turned ultimately into the Rikon 14". I had my finger on the trigger for the Rikon but just wasn't comfortable with paying new retail price (hence starting at the GO555).

The urge to buy the bandsaw waned somewhat when my wifes uncle made it known that I was welcome to use his for my upcoming bookcase project (rear & side panels will be re-sawed). I turned my attention to a jointer. I know that ultimately (when we buy a house) I will have either an 8" jointer or a combo J/P and as such I've been less than thrilled about the idea of buying a 6" jointer. I was, thankfully, talked out of violating the electrical code by tapping the 220V circuit to our water heater (located in the garage) to jump into an 8" jointer. Ultimately I decided to not buy the jointer new either.

Fast-forward to this past week: after the tumult of first the bandsaw agonizing and subsequently the jointer decision I've been obsessively watching CL for any deals that pop up. On Monday of this past week an ad for an estate sale came up that had listed a slew of woodworking tools. On the list were these:

JET JJ-6CSX Long Bed Jointer

&

JET JWBS-14X Bandsaw with mobile base

I was the first person to email on both items. The seller responded by saying that my offer was reasonable and that they would hold the items for pickup before the sale.

I picked them up this morning: $500 for the pair!

I'm beyond ecstatic. I've seen nothing wrong with either, the BS seems barely used. I haven't had the opportunity yet to fully dial in either. Unfortunately I have to pretend they're not in my garage, calling my name, as I have homework / research to do :( I'm hoping to sneak some time in tonight to play.

First addition will be the riser block to the BS.

John Peterson
04-24-2010, 6:45 PM
thats a pretty good deal, considering most crackheads around here think the jointer is worth that much.

Chip Lindley
04-24-2010, 7:58 PM
Good Grab Charlie! "He who hesitates is Lost!" Especially on CL! You certainly got your $500 worth. I see that BS even has the Quick Tensioner on it! Enjoy your *new* 110v tools, but don't let those grades fall!

Peter Quinn
04-24-2010, 8:16 PM
Fantastic del Charlie. Good for you! Enjoy those tools.

Charlie Gummer
04-24-2010, 8:42 PM
Good Grab Charlie! "He who hesitates is Lost!" Especially on CL! You certainly got your $500 worth. I see that BS even has the Quick Tensioner on it! Enjoy your *new* 110v tools, but don't let those grades fall!

Oh no chance of the grades falling. I've been doing the school thing too long and am paying too much per credit hour to do anything less than my best. I'm currently finishing the second year of my M.S in Mechanical Engineering as a distance education student at the University of Washington. Only two more years to go! (one course per term will do that)

On a more interesting note: does anyone know if the riser block available on Amazon (JRB-14 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223N9/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0665R1WVQM92JZX8DZHQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846) is compatible with the older 14" BS?

Thanks!

Dave Lehnert
04-24-2010, 9:22 PM
Good score.

Just a note on 220 service. Unless your box is full, nothing special about it. Just two 110 lines hooked together via the correct size breaker installed in two spaces in the box.

Joe Mioux
04-24-2010, 9:27 PM
Looks like you have the four basic food groups ;) (wood food) covered now. New BS, jointer, Dewalt planer and a Jet ts.

congrats on the recent purchase.

joe

Van Huskey
04-24-2010, 9:45 PM
On your first gloat may I be the first one to say:

YOU SUCK! :D

Charlie Gummer
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM

There it is! I feel like I've officially made it through the rite of passage...:D

Charlie Gummer
04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Good score.

Just a note on 220 service. Unless your box is full, nothing special about it. Just two 110 lines hooked together via the correct size breaker installed in two spaces in the box.

Understood. Unfortunately we're full up in the box.

dan grant
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM

first thing i thought of right after jealousy:)

David Nelson1
04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Good deal dude and you a got a bonus, the fence was an option. You should be able to get a riser block. Just dont spend a cent on blades till you do.

David Nelson1
04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Look in the back of your manual 2 -3 from the end, they should list the options available for your BS. PN 708717 fits a DX model. Should be the same for the plain X.

Mike Cruz
04-25-2010, 6:53 PM
Very nice! Before I saw how much you paid, I looked at the pic and figured $500 would be a good deal (certainly worth more, but $500 would make it gloat worthy. Sweet pick up. ENJOY!

Ken Shoemaker
04-25-2010, 7:48 PM
Outstanding haul!!! You really do SUCK!!!!!!

Enjoy'em... Ken

Chris Nolin
04-26-2010, 9:36 AM
Wow, Charlie, that's an INCREDIBLE deal! You really got lucky. Congratulations!

Dennis Lopeman
04-26-2010, 10:01 AM
How come there's nothing but crap in my area on CL!??!?!?! You're a lucky dude... you pretty much have all the tools you need to do anything for a long while. You'll want more, eventually, which is "natural" for most of us!

( I thought I read that you also have a TS and a Planer)

You need a good drill press. Go ahead and get a floor standing one...

and start collecting routers, too!!!

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I can't believe it took 8 posts for you to get the first YOU SUCK. Heck of a haul.

Charlie Gummer
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
How come there's nothing but crap in my area on CL!??!?!?! You're a lucky dude... you pretty much have all the tools you need to do anything for a long while. You'll want more, eventually, which is "natural" for most of us!

( I thought I read that you also have a TS and a Planer)

You need a good drill press. Go ahead and get a floor standing one...

and start collecting routers, too!!!

I've been watching for MONTHS and the majority of stuff (in my price range) hasn't been much to write home about.

I have the JET Proshop 10" hybrid TS and the DW735 planer (got that at the Home Depot closeout price) I also have a Delta bench top drill press and a Bosch 1617 router in a table I built out of re-claimed bamboo plywood.

Just last night I cut triangular pieces out of the supports for the in-feed / out-feed tables for the planer stand that can be seen in the pic. Normally I would have gotten the straight-edge guide and router, clamped everything down, made a bunch of passes (2 boards 3/4" plywood) and a huge mess.

This time it was less than 20 min on the BS. Having the right tool for the job is amazing.

Dan Scherer
06-10-2010, 9:54 AM
I just picked up a blue Jet jj-6csx long bed jointer, reliant ( i know it is probably a crappy one) table top mortiser, never used Delta tenoning jig, a set of mortise bits, router table with a craftsmen router , a nice parallel clamp and a sanding drum set .

The jointer has some surface rust and runs like a charm. the mortiser the same. A little elbow grease should do the trick.

Here is the best part. I paid $140 for everything!!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/1739391927.html

Mike Cruz
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Dan, first of all, congrats on your CL deal. Looks like a great bargain. However, seeing as how you are new here, you may not realize that you probably should have started your own thread and gloat about it there. You still can. Maybe just edit this past post and go start a new thread about your fortune. And don't forget pics...it didn't happen unless you post pics...

Dave MacArthur
06-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Great job Charlie! You SUCK! I see the same Jet band saws, which are quite nice, for $500 on CL in my area all the time--to get BOTH those tools for that is just fantastic.

Not only that, but you get bonus points for finding them on CraigsList after a long search, AND you get even MORE points for purchasing it from an estate sale. Nice!