PDA

View Full Version : Oak Mallet

Mark Kelly
11-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Ok, so I tried to turn the elm bowl yesterday at my last class. Unfortunately, the spar chuck would keep slipping and the blank was never stable to 'square' up the faces and edge. I only spent 10 min with it as I knew my time was limited and I didn't want to waste it trying to figure it out. Some other day, perhaps.

I then mounted my red oak and proceeded to turn it. It was fairly dry throughout as mentioned it should be and turned rather nice. I didn't get the exact shape of the mallet handle that I wanted, but the face of the mallet head is a nice continuous line from top to bottom. The hardest part for me was turning the transition from head to handle. I continued to keep getting catches on the 1/2 gouge I was using. I didn't have a smaller tool to turn it, so I had to make do.

It is a monster. 10 inches long and the head is 3 inches in diameter! I coated it with 1 coat of BLO. I will cut off the base after I have another coat of BLO and maybe a few coats of shellac on it.

Charles McKinley
11-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi Mark,

Verry nice mallet. Won't the shellac crack as soon as you hit it?

Mark Kelly
11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Probably. Maybe I'll just use it on the handle or skip it altogether. I wanted to fill in the pores, especially on the handle, but it may not matter anyway.

Chris Padilla
11-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Mark,

Just apply BLO to it as needed. At least the handle will get natural oils from your hand. It should get some nice color over the years. :)

Leif Hanson
11-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Nicely done, Mark! :cool:

When I'm having trouble with a transition area like that, I sometimes switch to a round nosed scraper. Properly sharpened, they can cut as fast as a gouge... and smoother. Otherwise, mastering a skew chisel is another good method, but takes a bit of practice.

Mark Kelly
11-16-2004, 1:06 PM
Well, let's just say I was using tools that were no where near sharp. It was actually frustrating, but I got what I needed done. If I take the class next year (assuming I won't get my lathe built before January) I think I will buy/bring my own tools so that I can sharpen them when they get dull. Thanks for the tips on what to use. In the last class I tried to use a skew to smooth out a chisel handle and ended up almost destroying the handle from the catch I had! I am learning....very slowly.

Steve Inniss
11-16-2004, 2:10 PM
Mark, Great mallet - WHACK.

-a catch on a skew chisel when you are new to turning is really something isn't it?
-Steve

Jack Hogoboom
11-16-2004, 2:30 PM
Mark,

Very cool mallet. I have a nice piece of lignum vitae that I'm going to try to turn into a mallet head as soon as I have the guts to try it.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Mark Kelly
11-16-2004, 2:47 PM
Uh, yeah, I'd say so. Pretty scary! I hope someday to get a feel for all these tools.

George Tokarev
11-16-2004, 4:48 PM
Nice looks, but you may be a bit disappointed in using it. Ring porous woods have a tendency to split off along the annual rings when you whack at them. Think of the process used to make splints from oak and ash, and you'll know what I mean. My education came with elm. I've made hard maple and hop-hornbeam versions for years for my own use, the school shop and for my carving classes, and they stand up well.

Back when I was trying all manner of techniques on my turnings, I bought ten pounds of PolyEthelyne Glycol (PEG) to experiment with. It keeps things from splitting, but it's almost impossible to get a finish to stick. Now all I use it for is mallets. I turn them as green as possible, soak them in 50/50 by weight for three months at about 70, and then enjoy the dead blow effect their hygroscopic action provides. Since the surface is always damp, it hits with a satisfying thud that doesn't transfer vibrations to my (carver's) elbow.

Now that you're on the lathe, make a set of different weights, lengths, and grips so you can reduce grip fatigue when carving as well.

Mark Kelly
11-16-2004, 4:55 PM
Yes, I was worried about oak being good for a mallet. However, I don't intend to use it to chop mortises. I think it's main use will be for tapping chisels while paring. Or possible tapping drawers to fit? Hopefully it will last until I can get the appropriate wood and more lathe time to make a heavy duty mallet for mortise choping, etc. We'll see, and thanks for the tips.

Glenn Hodges
11-16-2004, 7:25 PM
Good looking mallet, try it on anything, if it doesn't work out have fun, and make another.