PDA

View Full Version : Lathe back to normal (almsot)

Moshe Eshel
04-24-2010, 3:12 PM
My continuing saga has come to a happy end this Friday, the story till now in short:
Had my Lathe's VFD (1642EVS2) burn from an electrical surge, JET wanted $450 for the part before shipping (which living in Israel would have raised the price to about 800 at least). Bought a replacement VFD (TECO) here in Israel for ~$250 - but since I'm totally clueless in this - I didn't really know how to connect it correctly - after a lot of guessing and a lot of help here (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137813) - thank you so much guys! - I got the lathe almost working (the VFD was working properly, but the original potentiometer was not doing its job). I could change the speed from the VFD, but that was not ideal :(

Anyway on Friday a good friend came by to be swallowed by the vortex (this happens even in Israel :)) - He just bought a lathe after constant nudging by fellow turners - and wanted to get some pointers... This guy is an electronics engineer by trade, and I told him of my problem, he came with some electronic gadgets and did a few tests. then he soldered a wire here, and connected it there... and voila! it was running smoothly and perfectly!!!

Since then I already made a small pine bowl, and a tall mushroom for my garden, I'MMMMM BAAAACCKKK!

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2010, 4:20 PM
Congrats Moshe! Glad you are finally up and running!

Don't forget to post some photos of your work!

David Christopher
04-24-2010, 5:14 PM
Since then I already made a small pine bowl, and a tall mushroom for my garden, I'MMMMM BAAAACCKKK![/QUOTE]

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=347&pictureid=3349

we need to see the bowls.....and congrats on getting the lathe fixed

David E Keller
04-24-2010, 5:22 PM
Congrats on the fix... Awaiting photos of the completed turnings.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-24-2010, 5:49 PM
Hé good for you Moshe, I missed your post on the trouble with your lathe, sorry :o.
Happy to hear you are able to do some turning again, have fun and take care :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 6:52 PM
That is great getting it fixed. Now the fun begins.

bob svoboda
04-24-2010, 7:10 PM
Great Job. Glad you are back up and running. Can't wait to see photos of your work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2010, 7:12 PM
Moshe...... Let's see if I understand this correctly......A guy comes over and helps fix your lathe and YOU SHOVE HIM INTO THE VORTEX?:confused::eek:

Was this guy a friend in the past?:rolleyes:

Glad it is working Moshe! Have fun!

alex carey
04-24-2010, 7:33 PM
haha, nice to have an electrical engineer friend. Congratz on the lathe working again.

Joseph M Lary
04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear you are back. Let the turning begin. now we need to see some pictures :D

Jeff Fagen
04-24-2010, 11:23 PM
I found out today that a guy in our local club who bought a new jet four months ago had the motor go out.
Jet replaced it but the dealer did try to talk him out of buying a Jet.