PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a laminate router?

Greg Peterson
04-24-2010, 3:12 PM
I have a few small tops I am installing laminate to. Obviously a laminate router would be nice for this task, but is there any reason why I can't use my PC 890 router with fixed base?

Matt Meiser
04-24-2010, 3:17 PM
No reason you can't. Just buy the right bit.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-24-2010, 3:54 PM
Laminate trimmers are handy for a lot more than laminate, though. I use mine for seaming veneer with a 1/8" spiral bit, and have one that I keep an 1/16" roundover bit in. Amazon has PC 7310's for about $64. For that price, I was tempted to buy a couple more.

Jason White
04-24-2010, 3:58 PM
You should get a laminate trimmer (palm router) anyway. Mine is dedicated for quick round-overs and chamfers on projects where I just need to soften an edge.

Jason

I have a few small tops I am installing laminate to. Obviously a laminate router would be nice for this task, but is there any reason why I can't use my PC 890 router with fixed base?

Myk Rian
04-24-2010, 3:58 PM
Make or use a large base to make holding that weight of the 890 easier.

Van Huskey
04-24-2010, 4:21 PM
Laminate trimmers are useful for a lot more than laminate. I have about 20 1/4" shank bits just because My Colt is so easy to handle. Think of it as the sports car of routers and you will see a whole world of uses.

Chris Kennedy
04-24-2010, 4:35 PM
My laminate trimmer has yet to touch laminate. As has been pointed out, their small size makes them very convenient. I have a Colt and a PC 890 and probably reach for them equally.

Cheers,

Chris

Frank Drew
04-24-2010, 4:51 PM
I'm with the others who've said a small, one-handed router is handy in lots of ways apart from laminate trimming; I used one a lot and never once trimmed laminate.

Think of routers like hammers, or chisels: You probably could get by with one, but different sizes make life so much easier.

glenn bradley
04-24-2010, 4:59 PM
Absolutely not. However, I find my VS Bosch Colt to be very, very handy and would be loath to part with it ;-)

P.s. I have never trimmed laminate.

Bruce Wrenn
04-24-2010, 8:09 PM
For the past month, I've been doing nothing but laminate work. I have five of the PC 7310's, but I like my Bosch Colts a heck of a lot better. I do keep a solid carbide trim bit in one of my 7310's though for doing stuff that is edge banded with laminate. (Lots of Vasaline and keep bit moving.) If you haven't tried Dap / Weldwood's new gel contact cement, I highly recommend it. Spoon it out with a paint stick, and spread it with a roller made for contact adhesive. After roller dries, store it in a bag from a loaf of bread to prevent contamination.

Greg Peterson
04-24-2010, 8:09 PM
Well, thanks fellas. Unfortunately, I blew my tool budget for the short term on a too good to pass up acquisition. BTW, if the LOML asks around, I've had the DeWalt XRP LiOn impact and drill kit forever.

Local electrical supply company was offering a $100 instant rebate on DeWalt tools if you trade in an old cordless tool, battery and charger. My old 12v Bosch drill had served me well but the batteries were dead. And I have been coveting an impact driver for a while. So for $179 I got the latest greatest DeWalt 18v LiOn impact driver and drill. Guy at work has an older DeWalt 18v setup. I weighed his battery and it came in at 2.35 pounds. The impact driver w/battery wieghs 3 pounds. Amazing.

Oh, did I just do a stealth gloat? Oops, clumsy me.

BTW, Platt Electric (Portland, OR) has been running this special for a few weeks now.

Myk Rian
04-24-2010, 8:15 PM
BTW, for you local guys, Platt Electric has been running this special for a few weeks now.
Since you haven't filled out your location, we have no way of knowing what is local.

Jim O'Dell
04-24-2010, 8:22 PM
I've done all of mine with a PC 8529. I now have a smaller Hitachi that was free with the slider I bought 2 years ago. I'll use it next time. I do find that the bigger/heavier router is a little cumbersome hanging off the edge, and I tend to fall off the edge and create little problems that have to be fixed. I'm thinking the lighter router would be easier. But maybe one of the offset bases with the knob handle would help. Those are easy to build...1/2" ply and a handle and you're in business. Is this a project for your wife by chance??? Perfect opportunity to get the right tool and it not be out of the tool budget!!! In fact, while typing this, I just proposed that to the LOML about a router bet set for panel doors she wants me to make. :D She asked how much. Yes, she rolled her eyes and walked away when I told her. ;);) Jim.

Greg Peterson
04-24-2010, 8:28 PM
Not a project for the wife. Although she has asked for a book case. But the backlog of things to make grows every week. She'll eventually pull rank on me and get her book case. But probably not before then!

Mike Wilkins
04-26-2010, 9:38 AM
No, you don't need 'a' laminate router; you need 6 like I have. These cute little buggers just keep multiplying. One of mine is in a plunge base, one is on loan to a neighbor and 3 have bits in them for quick use and one is on stand-by mode. This is a sickness.

Paul Johnstone
04-26-2010, 1:54 PM
I dunno.. I have the Bosch Colt, and I'm not sure I would recommend it or any other laminate trimmer.

The base is small, making it more difficult to use flush trimming bits.
You are limited to 1/4" shank bits.
The height adjustment is adequate, but not as nice as my medium sized Dewalt and PC routers.

I haven't really decided if I'm going to keep this thing or sell it. I will probably keep it, since there's no point in selling it at 50 cents on the dollar, but if it dies, I'm not going to replace it.

I know people love these things, and I'm not bashing them, but I'm much more likely to grab a medium sized router instead.

Cody Colston
04-26-2010, 2:35 PM
I know people love these things, and I'm not bashing them, but I'm much more likely to grab a medium sized router instead.

I'm the same way. I have a PC laminate trimmer but I inevitably reach for the 690 with D-handle base.