PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Coffee Tree

Allen Tomaszek
04-24-2010, 2:40 PM
Has anyone here used Kentucky Coffee Tree? What are your thoughts about this wood as far as workability? Any photos of projects you've made using this wood? Thanks.

Allen

Paul Ryan
04-24-2010, 3:51 PM
Allen,

I made an small cabinet out of MN coffee to hold some television equipment out of is a couple of years ago. It is alot like red oak hard to tell the difference if the 2 arn't next to each other. But it stinks not a nice smell like oak when cutting it. IT stained well and has acutally turned more brown with age. I would send a picture but I am not located near it at this time. I tried it because oak was more expensive at the time and it was a new wood to try. It is a usable hard wood that makes nice furniture if you ask me. That is if the MN coffee is the same as the kentucky tree.

george wilson
04-24-2010, 4:10 PM
Back in the 50's Gibson guitar co. advertised that they used "coffee wood" fingerboards. I wonder if that was a euphemism for a rosewood.

Glenn Vaughn
04-24-2010, 7:35 PM
I am in the process of making kitchen caqbinets from Kentucky Coffee Tree. Only done one door so far. Have 3 more cabinets to do then a "mormon" pantry and a bread making table to finish this project.

brian watts
04-24-2010, 8:47 PM
i make turkey calls out of it all most every week and love it. i have a some on hand all the time

Paul Ryan
04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
That looks like the coffee I used. I just cant get over the smell. Smelled like a rotting pheasant to me.

Allen Tomaszek
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. It does look a lot like oak and is a little bit pink in comparison. Just a wood that I've heard of but never worked with before. I picked some up recently and wanted to see what other members' experiences were before I started using it.

Brian...I know a couple of guys that make game calls but neither of them have used Coffee Tree before. I'll have to recommend it to them. Do you have a website or posted pictures of your turkey calls somewhere?

Thanks again.