PDA

View Full Version : LV medium shoulder plane as nice as it looks?

James Taglienti
04-24-2010, 1:38 PM
I am looking to buy a new shoulder plane. I use an ancient dovetailed shoulder/rabbet plane for my tenons and end grain shoulders and it isn't quite square enough. Also the iron is a hair too narrow for it. I don't want to alter the plane because of it's collectible value and I can't see buying a new blade for it as most of them are $40+. I think I can get more precision out of a new one.

I have been looking at the LV medium shoulder plane a lot... plenty of bells and whistles, and the 11/16 width would be ideal for dadoes where i have to put plywood, which is all undersized now. Also it looks like a better user than most of the traditional early 1900's copies that are out there... they're prettier though.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I have fat fingers and I'm wondering if they will fit on the finger hole on the plane, which I am really digging. Maybe there is something else out there that's really cool that I don't know about?

Also I am toying with the idea of getting the A2 cutter... i have always been a bigger fan of O1, I'm much more familiar with it. Will A2 hold an edge at a low angle or is it more prone to fracture? I am more interested in less chipping, and even wear. I don't mind honing more often. I just don't want to be grinding chips out every time i use the plane.

Thanks guys!

Brian Kent
04-24-2010, 3:09 PM
I am anxiously awaiting extra cash floating through my wallet to buy one of these too. I have tried them out and they feel great. They are also by far the most frequently recommended on this forum.

I have tried the Mujingfang Rosewood and it chatters.
I have the ebony Mujingfang, (different shape than the rosewood) bought at a show for under $30 and it works well, while I am waiting to get the Lee Valley Medium.

I can only pass on the recommendation from others that either blade will be excellent.

Jim Belair
04-24-2010, 3:18 PM
The Veritas medium shoulder is a very nice plane. Size is just right and the through body hole combined with the movable knob on top makes for an easy grip. I don't think you'll have an issue even with larger fingers. The hole might not be big enough to stick a finger through but you can still get a bit of a grip with a finger tip and another finger through the mouth area.

I have the A2 iron, haven't really seen an issue with edge failure. But if you are more comfortable with O1 then you might want to stick with it. As on all the Veritas planes, the blade alignment screws really make it easy to set the edge of the blade just right.

Probably haven't given you much new info. I'm just a satisfied owner and think you would be too.

Jim B

glenn bradley
04-24-2010, 3:34 PM
By all accounts here and elsewhere, the medium shoulder plane is one of the more personal tools one might own. There have been posts about both the LV and the LN asking "how am I supposed to hold this thing anyway?" or similar remarks.

I was lucky enough to be at a show where LN and LV were just steps away from each other and so got to spend some hands-on time with both the tools I was considering. The Veritas just fell right into my hand and was very easy to use and control. The Lie Nielsen gave me that 'handful of spaghetti' sort of a feel. The very next guy to try them probably reported the opposite.

In the end it will be up to your hand size, finger length and all of that as to what feels right for you. As for me; I may yell at someone who is running off with any number of things I own; if they have my medium shoulder plane, I'll shoot.

Brian Kent
04-24-2010, 4:12 PM
As for me; I may yell at someone who is running off with any number of things I own; if they have my medium shoulder plane, I'll shoot.

That's a great line, Glenn. :D

Richard Kee
04-24-2010, 4:22 PM
James,

It's better than it looks. I'm 6' 4", weigh 265, and have large hands. the LV medium shoulder plane fits nicely - in fact, I find myself looking for other ways to use in addition to its intended purpose. You'll not be sorry to get one.

Richard

Chris Kennedy
04-24-2010, 4:42 PM
James,

It's better than it looks. I'm 6' 4", weigh 265, and have large hands. the LV medium shoulder plane fits nicely - in fact, I find myself looking for other ways to use in addition to its intended purpose. You'll not be sorry to get one.

Richard

I'm built along the same frame, and I agree -- it will work for you. I have the LV medium shoulder and I think it is the greatest thing. To keep the earlier analogy going, someone will get my shoulder plane "from my cold dead (but oddly large) hands."

I would also say if you can try the Lie-Nielsen, you should do so. There are people who really like it. If you have a Woodcraft nearby, you can give it a heft and see if it is to your liking.

Cheers,

Chris

Andrew Gibson
04-24-2010, 6:24 PM
A couple months ago I went to a tool show and got so see and feel all of lee valleys planes. I really liked all of there shoulder planes, and the medium is definitely on my list.

Yesterday and today I attended he Lie Nielsen show here in Tampa and got a chance to see and try pretty much everything. There shoulder planes are very nice as well, but I think the LV is a bit more comfortable and would be what I would go with.

that is my observation from handling them at a show... not as definitive as getting to try them in a shop.

Zach England
04-24-2010, 7:07 PM
I use mine all the time. I just ordered the Veritas large shoulder plane, too. I will be interested to compare. I was deciding between the Veritas and Lie-Nielsen large shoulders and got the Veritas because of the front knob.

That and my skew rabbet planes should be here early next week. Hopefully I will be able to make time for them.

Callan Campbell
04-24-2010, 7:51 PM
James, I've had mine for 2 years now, it works very well, haven't had any blade/iron edge issues, and it feels a bit better in my hands than the LN design. But, they're so different, please try them both out if you haven't already.

paul cottingham
04-24-2010, 8:30 PM
I, too, have big, awkward hands that are prone to bouts of neuralgia. I use the LV shoulder plane tons, and find it very comfortable, and use it all the time, often for uses that were never intended.

Dave Cav
04-24-2010, 8:57 PM
I have had the LV Medium Shoulder plane for over a year; I like it a lot. It works just like it's supposed to. I did take the front knob off, though; it always seemed to be in the way. It works fine (for me) without it.

Paul Ryan
04-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I have owned the LV medium for about 2 years. And I liked it at first but i still have never found a real nice way of holding it, it is just goofy. I recently bought a small LN 5/8. It is a different style but so far I like how it holds much better. My hands are kind of average size but thick, it is smaller but holding it one handed is no problem. I like it's width for tendons and shoulders better. So far is seems more versatile because it lost the 1/8" to me. A couple of months and I may sell the LV but I am not ready to at this point.

Zach England
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I have had the LV Medium Shoulder plane for over a year; I like it a lot. It works just like it's supposed to. I did take the front knob off, though; it always seemed to be in the way. It works fine (for me) without it.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about the large one? The medium does not have a front knob (at least mine does not) and the large has front and rear wood knobs.

if you are talking about the large one I'd like to know what you think about it. I'd been waiting for a Lie-Nielsen to show up used, but I ordered the large Veritas on an impulse the other day without having read anything about it.

Frank Martin
04-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I am not a pure hand tool user, but enjoy hand tools where they make sense. Among nearly all Veritas planes (except the ones released in the last year or so) I have the large, medium and bull nose shoulder planes. I find them very well engineered and made. They work beautifully. I never tried the Lie Nielsen versions. I am sure they are well made as well, but I prefer the engineering that goes into Veritas planes.

Derek Cohen
04-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi James (and all)

Here are links to reviews ..

... of the Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane (compared with the HNT Gordon 3/4" and Stanley #92) .. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Medium%20Shoulder%20Plane.html

... and the Veritas Small Shoulder Plane (comapred with the Veritas Medium, and reference to larger and smaller shoulder planes) ... http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasSmallShoulderPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Larry Fox
04-25-2010, 9:38 AM
I have one also and really like it a lot.

michael osadchuk
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Also I am toying with the idea of getting the A2 cutter... i have always been a bigger fan of O1, I'm much more familiar with it. Will A2 hold an edge at a low angle or is it more prone to fracture? I am more interested in less chipping, and even wear. I don't mind honing more often. I just don't want to be grinding chips out every time i use the plane.

Thanks guys!

I've had the LV medium shoulder plane for about a year - with an 01 blade.
I've had no problems with this blade, including any apparent need to go back to honing it with any excessive frequency.

good luck

michael

Bill Pitz
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
The LV Medium shoulder plane is nearly perfect. It is one of few items that I own, tools or otherwise, that would be replaced literally within a day should they go missing.

Phil Maddox
04-25-2010, 7:06 PM
I love mine - out of the box it was spectacular - after tuning - unbelievable. I don't use it everyday but when I do, it amazes me.

Good luck.

Phil

Dave Cav
04-26-2010, 4:03 PM
[QUOTE=Zach England;1407746]Are you sure you aren't thinking about the large one? The medium does not have a front knob (at least mine does not) and the large has front and rear wood knobs.

Sorry; it's the rear brass knob I was referring to. You are correct, there is no front knob.

Mark Roderick
04-26-2010, 4:06 PM
I love mine and use it often. Never tried the LN.

Ken Werner
04-26-2010, 4:26 PM
I've had mine for years. Bought it new for $139, now they sell for about $175. what does that tell you about value?

It is a beautiful tool, which has never failed me. I too don't use it every day, but I always feel good using it when I do. I have the A2 blade, and it has not been prone to problems, and does stay sharp a good long time.

I am sure you won't regret buying one.

Eric Brown
04-26-2010, 7:04 PM
I have the medium and really like it. I have very small hands with skinny fingers and it feels good in my hand. One thing I really like is using it on my wooden miter vice. I like using a router plane more than the shoulder plane for cleaning up the bottoms of grooves.

Eric