PDA

View Full Version : wood i got today

brian watts
04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
i got this walnut and 2 cedar logs from( Charles Cannon ) a memeber here on the creek. i want to say thanks for your kindest to give me the wood and help me load it. that mean alot now days . you donot see people like you very much any more..and if you ever want to get the wood gone at your house YOU know were iam at . again thanks for the wood sorry for the pic but it is raining cat and dogs here..

Baxter Smith
04-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Nice haul!

Randy Gazda
04-24-2010, 12:57 PM
That should keep you busy for the weekend, or many many weekends to come. Looks like lots of nice bowls in the walnut offcuts, I like to see walnut bowl with sapwood and hardwood.

Enjoy!:)

brian watts
04-24-2010, 1:05 PM
That should keep you busy for the weekend, or many many weekends to come. Looks like lots of nice bowls in the walnut offcuts, I like to see walnut bowl with sapwood and hardwood.

Enjoy!:)

no bowls here. i donot KNOW how to turn a nice bowl. i need to get some one to show one how some day.. i SEE all turkey pots and strikers in that wood..

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2010, 1:12 PM
Brian - congrats on all the wood! Doesn't look like you will have to seal it today - but you should fairly soon!

Bowls are fun to turn! Check in with your local turning club - I am sure someone there would be more than happy to show you the basics in bowl turning!

brian watts
04-24-2010, 1:47 PM
Brian - congrats on all the wood! Doesn't look like you will have to seal it today - but you should fairly soon!

Bowls are fun to turn! Check in with your local turning club - I am sure someone there would be more than happy to show you the basics in bowl turning!

going to WC and get a gallon of sealer in a bit ...well unload it today some time after the rain stop.. been raining cas and dogs all morning

David E Keller
04-24-2010, 2:55 PM
Nice haul... That looks like a lifetime of strikers and pots.

Dick Strauss
04-24-2010, 3:10 PM
Brian,
You've got some really nice wood there! If you can, try to get the pith (center + a few years growth) out of the big walnut chunks like the one shown in the center to prevent cracks. The Anchorseal is a good idea too!

Take care,
Dick

Donny Lawson
04-24-2010, 8:26 PM
Brian,
That's a nice haul for today. When you get ready for that load of Cherry let me know and I'll help you load it.
Donny

alex carey
04-24-2010, 8:29 PM
nice haul. I wish I lived close to Charles.

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 9:36 PM
Congrats on a nice haul. Really some nice looking walnut.

brian watts
04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Brian,
That's a nice haul for today. When you get ready for that load of Cherry let me know and I'll help you load it.
Donny

this WEEK for sure. iam all most done with that job in athens. sunday are you busy in he after noon??

Tom Hamilton
04-28-2010, 7:32 PM
Hi Creekers: Brian's visit to Charles' wood pile filled his truck but left some for turning. I drove two hours from Douglasville this AM to meet Charles and help him with his walnut storage problem.

We quickly filled the wood hauler
with about 16 pieces of freshly cut walnut off his property. Charles graciously also toured me through his shop, fully equipped to turn his forest into lumber, and showed me some of the furniture he made that he and his wife live with daily.

Interestingly, Charles property is practically at three corners: where Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia all meet.

We had a nice visit and I headed back to D'Ville to unload

and paint the ends of the walnut. I ran out of Anchor-Seal so some of the pieces got white latex though there is no pic of the painted ends. Highland Hardware in Atlanta is on the radar for a visit soon.

Here's the last pic: 149379 the largest pieces are 17 inches across and about 20 inches long. The uncut logs are 8-12 inches in diameter.

All in all a great day with a fellow Creeker and a wonderful additional to my wood stash.

Thanks Charles for your generosity and kindness.

All the Best, Tom, in D'Ville overwhelmed by the potential from this wood.

George Guadiane
04-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Looks like both of you really scored!
Nice gloat!!

John Hart
04-28-2010, 8:04 PM
Creeker visits are cool:)

Alan Huey
04-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Tom:
Nice Haul! I think that you will really enjoy the walnut. That has been my mainstay from the freindly orchards here in CA for me.

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 6:23 AM
About the only thing better than a load of walnut is a great friendship!! Looks like you guys double scored on that point!:)