PDA

View Full Version : New band Saw

Greg Labacz
04-24-2010, 8:10 AM
I am in the process of replacing my delta 12" band saw.
I am looking at 14" saws made by Grizzly, Delta, and Jet. I'm need to stay under the $500 mark. The Grizzly Go555 seems to be the best bang for the buck and all the reviews place it above the others. What are your thoughts? Does anyone have the Grizzly? :confused::confused::confused:

glenn bradley
04-24-2010, 9:05 AM
I don't have the 555 but this could help:

http://www.google.com/search?q=G0555&sitesearch=www.sawmillcreek.org

Louie Ballis
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Let me prefice this by saying that I am a relative newbie to ww and this is the first bandsaw that I have owned or even used.

I do have the 0555 by grizzzly with the riser block. I would reccomend it.

I have had, and still ocassionally have problems getting the blade to track properly, esp. the real narrow ones (3/16s) but I think that most of it is my ignorance. So I can not blame the bandsaw. I do think that the riser block (causing deflection) or my inability to get the tension just right is the main problem.

A very good friend of mine recently purchased the 14 inch Powermatic BS and I dont see it being superior at all. In fact I (IMHO) think that the fit and finsh of the grizzly is far superior, esp the powder coating.

Hope this helps, it is alot of saw for the money.

Louie

Brendan Plavis
04-24-2010, 6:03 PM
I like Delta.... I recently found myself in the same predicament, and chose said brand. I have been very pleased with the customer relations(sent me free parts, after I bought the floor model which was missing a few parts(knobs, nuts, and an insert.)

With that said, I have no prior experience with the other too. And I have only been playing with my new toy for two days now...

brian watts
04-24-2010, 8:54 PM
Let me prefice this by saying that I am a relative newbie to ww and this is the first bandsaw that I have owned or even used.

I do have the 0555 by grizzzly with the riser block. I would reccomend it.

I have had, and still ocassionally have problems getting the blade to track properly, esp. the real narrow ones (3/16s) but I think that most of it is my ignorance. So I can not blame the bandsaw. I do think that the riser block (causing deflection) or my inability to get the tension just right is the main problem.

A very good friend of mine recently purchased the 14 inch Powermatic BS and I dont see it being superior at all. In fact I (IMHO) think that the fit and finsh of the grizzly is far superior, esp the powder coating.

Hope this helps, it is alot of saw for the money.

Louie

i got got the 555 with a riser block and a timerwolf 1/2" blade for re-saw and LOVE IT..

Prashun Patel
04-24-2010, 9:03 PM
I have the G0555.
Under $500 it's very good.
I want to eventually upgrade this to a saw with more power. It does struggle a little with thicker stock, and the guides are not the best.

I've also had issues tensioning it perfectly. But that might just be with all bandsaws (this is my first).

It's critical that you get a good blade. A bad blade can mislead you into thinking your saw or technique is messed up.

I also wouldn't try using a 3/4" blade on this. 1/2" is the thickest I find properly tensionable.

Mark Woodmark
04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I am going to be selling my 14 inch Delta in the very near future. I am replacing it with an Agazzani B-20. Do you live anywhere near Omaha, Ne?

Robert Malone
04-25-2010, 5:48 AM
I think Grizzly has the best price right now at $420 plus $74 shipping.
That keeps you under your mark shipped to your door.

Greg Labacz
04-25-2010, 8:25 AM
Sorry Mark I live in Philadelphia PA. Robert I agree the $419 price is good, I'm hoping to drive up to Muncy PA (2 1/2 hours) for the Tent sale at Grizzly and hope to pick one up cheaper and save the shipping.:D

Jamie Buxton
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
If you want maximum bang for your buck, consider buying used machines. The Delta and Powermatic 14" bandsaws have been standards for decades. That means there are lots of them on the used marketplace, and that their prices are quite reasonable. Check your Craigslist or newspapers.

Zach England
04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I have no complaints about my 555, though the wheels were not co-planar when it arrived. A couple of washers fix that.

Aaron Wingert
04-25-2010, 3:09 PM
I had a G0555 before upgrading to a 19" saw, and it was an excellent machine out of the box. You get more bang for your buck with that saw than with other brands. I didn't love the guides on it, but they're as good or better than what Delta and Jet put on theirs. I'd buy the Griz and upgrade to Carter guides when finances allow.

David Helm
04-25-2010, 6:11 PM
I have the Jet 14 inch. Have had it for 5 or 6 years. As with just about all 14 inch saws it is a good idea to upgrade the guides.

Dave Gaul
04-26-2010, 8:45 AM
Sorry Mark I live in Philadelphia PA. Robert I agree the $419 price is good, I'm hoping to drive up to Muncy PA (2 1/2 hours) for the Tent sale at Grizzly and hope to pick one up cheaper and save the shipping.:D

What time do you plan on getting there? Wanna make sure I get there first!

Curt Harms
04-26-2010, 9:00 AM

If you can find one at the tent sale, you'll probably pay 1/2 -2/3 of retail, depending on what's wrong or missing. If you have some mechanical aptitude it helps. I went to the last one, doubt I'll go to this one--I'm out of room and money:o.

Bob Dupras
04-26-2010, 9:17 AM
Lowes has been in the process of replacing all their Delta products. I recently bought the floor model Delta for $225. And the current sale price of the boxed unit was $319, but without even asking, they offered it for $300. It would be worth at least a call to see if a store near you has any left.