PDA

View Full Version : Nova Soft Jaws - any users?

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 7:17 AM
I have a couple sets of these coming from Sean at Toolnut, and I am curious as to whether anyone has experience with them - good or bad.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck_accessories/Soft%20jaw/Close_up_of_Soft_Jaws_Low_Res.jpg
http://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck_accessories/Soft%20jaw/Close_up_of_Soft_Jaws_Profile.jpg
Easy to use - The four segments of quality nylon can be turned to shape using standard tools. They can be turned, sawn, drilled or tapped.
Markless holding - Being made of nylon, they also hold most woods without marking.

Since I already own them ;), I guess I would prefer some creative ideas on how you may have used them.

Or, if you have had bad experiences, what "uses" should be avoided.

If they are junk, go ahead and comment! It won't be the first ill-advised purchase that I will have made!:D

Thanks!!

Tony De Masi
04-24-2010, 8:24 AM
No experience with them John. But I'm curious as to what you may have in mind for them?

Tony

Lance kanaby
04-24-2010, 8:33 AM
I would think that the soft jaws could be used to hold the inside rim of a bowl that is a slight hollow form. Sometimes Cole jaws just won't work and maybe these will?

Mike Minto
04-24-2010, 8:34 AM
Won a pair in a TeknaTool contest; haven't used them yet.

kenneth walker
04-24-2010, 9:04 AM
John the soft jaws are made to fit anything you what to hold, you have to machine them to fit the part you want to hold. put some that will fit inside the middle of the chuck and tighten then machine the jaws they way you need them. I am a machinist by trade I used soft jaws everyday on my metal lathe they are more for doing alot of peaces the same size. Hope this helps
Ken.

Toney Robertson
04-24-2010, 9:10 AM
John,

I will be interested in reading the comments from users. I have looked at those jaws but I never did take the dive.

Interesting that you ordered the jaws and THEN posted the question on here. Isn't that kind of backwards??? :D

Toney

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 9:26 AM
John,

I will be interested in reading the comments from users. I have looked at those jaws but I never did take the dive.

Interesting that you ordered the jaws and THEN posted the question on here. Isn't that kind of backwards??? :D

ToneyWell, sure!!! But, then to have done it correctly would have removed that adrenaline rush one gets when they discover they have screwed up really bad!!:D Every now and then, Toney, we must live on the edge!;):)

My thought on these was to use them to do small vessel lids in expansion mode, among other things. I have turned a few lids with a very slight dovetail recess on the underside to use to do the outside/top surface. That works very well, except I only have the 50mm jaws, so I can't do that with anything smaller than about 2.5" in diameter.

Matt Owen
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I just received a set of these in the mail the other day. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I'm sure they will work fine.

I don't know if you have ever turned nylon before, but it is a different beast compared to wood. Very stringy, and the curls will wrap around anything they can find. The back of the package has some hints on how to turn this stuff.

I made my own soft jaws to hold yo-yo halves while turning the inside of the yo-yo. While the jaws work wonderfully, they were a real pain to make. Once I was finished, I decided that from then on, I will just buy a set of Nova soft jaws for any others that I may need.

Matt

Bob Borzelleri
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
John...

I have always thought that the appeal of these jaws was in the added color to an otherwise monochromatic set of spinning parts. It never occurred to me that there might be a secondary purpose for them. :cool:

...Bob

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 10:53 AM
John...

I have always thought that the appeal of these jaws was in the added color to an otherwise monochromatic set of spinning parts. It never occurred to me that there might be a secondary purpose for them. :cool:

...BobBob, I really should have disclosed in my OP that the "real reason" for getting these was to add a splash of color to my lathe! Got the idea from a program Ms. Keeton was watching on HGTV!:D:D

Leo Van Der Loo
04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
John I have the flat jaws for the Talon chucks, and screw softwood blocks to them, some I made to hold some scoops for turning the inside looked just like the ones you have there, before shaping them for just that purpose.
The nice thing with those blocks is you can make them hold over a larger area of a delicate piece where jaws or rubber buttons would damage or just not work.
Of course with the wooden blocks on the flat jaws one can make them large or small from any wood you have lying around ;-))

Wayne Spence
04-24-2010, 2:12 PM
John
I have used the soft jaws 5 or 6 times over the past year. Mostly as a jam chuck but once for holding a delicate piece without the tailstock. That stuff is slippery so put in a slight dovetail if possible. Use sharp tools. If you are using a parting tool cut the outside parameters with the long point of a skew first then go inbetween the skew cuts with the parting tool. Even at that it is difficult to get good sharp corner. I am thinking that perhaps increasing the rpm would help.

There are probably other more creative uses as the writers say but I will leave that to those creative devils.

David E Keller
04-24-2010, 2:53 PM
I would never use them as I feel they would clash with the mustard yellow lathe theme... I just couldn't stand the thought of turning on a tacky lathe. The only thing worse would be adding Christmas lights to the lathe:eek::D... Sorry Steve.

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 3:40 PM
... I just couldn't stand the thought of turning on a tacky lathe. The only thing worse would be adding Christmas lights to the lathe:eek::D... Sorry Steve.Now, that was a low blow!!! I can't believe you would bring up that topic again, David. I mean, wouldn't it be better to just let the memory fade.....NAHHHH!!!:D:D

For those that may not recall Schlumpf's version of the Christmas spirit!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134047&thumb=1&d=1259642580 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134047&d=1259642580)

Sean Ackerman NY
04-24-2010, 4:12 PM
Now, that was a low blow!!! I can't believe you would bring up that topic again, David. I mean, wouldn't it be better to just let the memory fade.....NAHHHH!!!:D:D

For those that may not recall Schlumpf's version of the Christmas spirit!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134047&thumb=1&d=1259642580 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134047&d=1259642580)

great! Never saw that before. Can someone link me to the story, assuming it was posted?

John, keep us up to date with the jaws. You and I are both learning.

Curt Fuller
04-24-2010, 4:45 PM
John, I believe Keith Burns uses the nylon jaws to grip some of the incredible finials he turns, including those that are double ended. It might behoove you to see if you can squeeze a secret or two out of him.

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 5:44 PM
Thanks, Curt!!! Never thought of doing that, but with a hollow spindle it makes sense! And, you are right, Keith does some fantastic work on those finials, not to mention the beautiful hollow forms.

Sean, here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=126018&page=2) is the thread on Steve's festive exhibit last Christmas season. As most know, not only is Schlumpf a phenomenal woodturner, he uses a variety of mediums in his artistic expression!!:D;)

Philip Duffy
04-25-2010, 4:41 AM
I have used them for particular situations requiring a soft hold. One thing I noticed immediately was the noise they create at high rpm. Amazing! Keep the speed down or wear ear plugs. Phil

John Hart
04-25-2010, 7:03 AM
Thanks, Curt!!! Never thought of doing that, but with a hollow spindle it makes sense! And, you are right, Keith does some fantastic work on those finials, not to mention the beautiful hollow forms.

Don't kid yourself. Keith sends me the wood and I do all his turnings for him. Then he takes all the pictures......and the credit.

But he pays me $12 every time. I'm going to be rich!! :)

John Keeton
04-25-2010, 7:58 AM
Don't kid yourself. Keith sends me the wood and I do all his turnings for him. Then he takes all the pictures......and the credit.

But he pays me $12 every time. I'm going to be rich!! :)I knew there had to be some deep secret to his success!! Now I understand! He is so fortunate to have you employed in his sweat shop, John.:) Up to this point, your humility in letting Keith take the credit has been so gracious. I am appalled that you would go public with this revelation at this point in Keith's turning career!!:eek::D:D;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2010, 11:29 AM

But he pays me $12 every time. I'm going to be rich!! :)

ROFLOL. John you almost owed me a keyboard as I about spewed coffee all over it.

Beside you don't get $12. When the president and CEO of the household gets her share doesn't that leave you with about 48 cents?:eek::D:rolleyes:;)

John Hart
04-25-2010, 1:15 PM
ROFLOL. John you almost owed me a keyboard as I about spewed coffee all over it.

Beside you don't get $12. When the president and CEO of the household gets her share doesn't that leave you with about 48 cents?:eek::D:rolleyes:;)

Less Bernie.....much less.:(

Tim Browne
04-26-2010, 7:45 AM
I bought some last year. I was looking for a better way to turn the bottom of candle holders and they work well for both the tea lights and the oil inserts. I also use them when drilling pen blanks, they don't crush the wood like metal jaws. I'm going to buy another set next time they're on sale for the bottoms of small bowls.

Keith Burns
04-26-2010, 2:20 PM
Well John, John let the cat out of the bag about my stuff.

Yes I do use them. The are great for holding small pieces like lids, etc. and don't require any specific diameter, you just cut them to fit. I think I'm on my third set. At least thats what John told me to say I did.

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 3:04 PM
Thanks, Keith. Since John Hart is actually doing all your work, I will wait for confirmation of this information from the master behind the scenes before putting it into use!!:D;)

John Hart
04-26-2010, 3:11 PM
Yes, it's true....just as Keith sai... I mean, just as I told Keith to say.

Keith..you owe me $6.27 for the advice.:rolleyes:

Allen Neighbors
04-26-2010, 3:53 PM
See????? I told you, you all were crazy!!