PDA

View Full Version : wax

kenneth walker
04-24-2010, 1:43 AM
I would like to know of the name or type wax everyone puts on there bed ways?
Thank You Ken.

Tom Hintz
04-24-2010, 2:56 AM
Johnson's Paste Wax is very popular. I find it in home centers in the floor care section mostly but it can be a bit tough to find in some areas. There are purpose-designed materials like TopCoat that you can get from woodworking stores that also do a good job of keeping the surfaces slick and protected to varying degrees.

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 6:51 AM
I use Johnson Paste Wax because that is what I keep in the shop for my other flatwork tools. I understand that it does not contain silicones, which can play havoc with some finishes. That wouldn't matter on the ways of your lathe, but it sure can on the tablesaw and other tools!

Tony De Masi
04-24-2010, 7:03 AM
I use Butchers Bowling Alley Wax. Why? Because for some reason I had a can of it when I got my lathe. I have no idea when or even where I got it either. Works quite well too.

Tony

kenneth walker
04-24-2010, 8:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. Now to find it. Ken

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2010, 9:21 AM
Ken,

I use the SC Johnson paste wax and you can find it at most home improvement stores - even grocery stores. It is sold as a floor wax - so that may influence where it is located within the store.

Tim Malyszko
04-24-2010, 9:23 AM
I just use Johnson's Paste Wax.

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 9:44 AM
Johnson Paste Wax from Wally world.

Nathan Hawkes
04-24-2010, 9:58 AM
I use regular old paraffin wax, mostly because I turn green wood often enough to eat through paste wax in short order. Also, I slide the headstock back and forth often enough to scrape away paste wax in little lines that rust before the rest of the bed. It just isn't worth it to me to waste the time when its going to rust the first or second time after I apply the wax. The wax for me is just to keep the headstock sliding easily! I keep a squeeze bottle of WD-40 to polish any rust with 4/0 steel wool before it has any chance to pit. I should mention too that in central VA, it stays rather moist in warm weather, which may add to my love/hate relationship with iron and rust.

Allen Neighbors
04-24-2010, 7:21 PM
I use Mineral Spirits applied with a paper towel.