PDA

View Full Version : D.D.C (ala Eureka)

Paul Berendsohn
11-16-2004, 8:44 AM
So, I recently had the pleasure of testing a prototype device from our friend Dino of Eurekazone. He and I were kvetching about dust collection and I mentioned some things I had tried. I sent him my PC 325 circ saw to tinker with and he returned it to me with what I'm going to call the D.D.C... Dino Dust Collector...;)

I'm not going to spill the beans about the specifics as I don't have Dino's permission to do anything more than tell you about my experiences. Visually, the effect of the DDC is remarkable. I'll admit to never having used a Festool saw extensively but this has to be darnnnnnnnned near as effective if not equal. The amount of dust that escaped the saw was minimal with the DDC installed. Now for a little empirical evidence...

I ripped up the first sheet of plywood using the DDC equipped saw and a new bag on my PC vacuum. As I don't have a scale sensitive enough here I then tore the bag open and carefully emptied the contents into a clear plastic cup. In terms of volume I'd estimate about 4 cups of sawdust.

Then I took my other PC saw (identical but without the brake) and made the same cuts to the second sheet. Again a new bag on my PC vacuum, all the same protocols were followed, same blade installed. This time I'd say I captured less than 1/2 a cup by volume. A difference of roughly 8 times the sawdust captured!

Now the good news gets better. My understanding (again I don't want to put words in Dino's mouth...contrary to what has been suggested I have no business connection with Dino), this attachment will sell for something in the ten dollar range. Without stealing Dino's thunder I'll say that this is a very simple, sturdy device that does not interfere with any of the functions or ease of handling of the saw.

JayStPeter
11-16-2004, 9:18 AM
That sounds great. It would've made the F vs E decision much more difficult for me.

Jay

Rich Konopka
11-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Paul,

We want pics !!! :D I'd love to see what it looks like .

Paul Berendsohn
11-16-2004, 10:34 AM
LOL... I don't know if I have Dino's permission for that Rich. He sent me a PM about the thread and mentioned that the DDC will be available for other makes as well as the PC apparently. I'm trying to get the time to set up some studio strobes and get some photos of the dust cloud (or absence thereof) with and without the DDC... it's quite remarkable.

Rich Konopka
11-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Okay !!

Dino, now that Paul "Let the Cat out of the bag" you have to fill us in. Will you be showing this at the Edison WW show? How about some pics from YCF?

Frank Pellow
11-16-2004, 10:46 AM
That's good news Paul. Do you have any idea when the device might become available?

Charles McKinley
11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
I would love something to keep me from getting hitin the face with sawdust comming off of the blade. The dust collection would be great too.

So lets see it.

Paul Berendsohn
11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
My impression Frank is that for the PC it's probably available in the immediate future. I gather he's been looking at other saws as well. Drop him an email and maybe he'll put together a waiting list or a list of requests to have various models adapted (http://www.eurekazone.com/contact.html)

Paul

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I was messing with something for the Ryobi and, although there's improvement, it's still not where I'd like it to be. I think some saws will just inherently do better than others. Even though the Ryobi has a "stock" DC port, it's not very efficient unto itself. What I'd really love to see is the OEM's start supplying the US market with some of the saws they do in Europe! Some of them (I'm talking about Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi, PC,etc...) look to have very nice dust collection built-in right on the stock units! :cool:

Paul Berendsohn
11-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I agree John...

I also have the Ryobi and aside from the DC being inefficient the port itself is pathetic. I had to put a hose clamp on mine just to hold it together.

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
I agree John...

I also have the Ryobi and aside from the DC being inefficient the port itself is pathetic. I had to put a hose clamp on mine just to hold it together.

LOL! :D I said the heck with it and used some wide head sheetmetal screws to try and keep it from popping off! :eek: :D :cool:

Frank Pellow
11-16-2004, 11:44 AM
My impression Frank is that for the PC it's probably available in the immediate future. I gather he's been looking at other saws as well. Drop him an email and maybe he'll put together a waiting list or a list of requests to have various models adapted (http://www.eurekazone.com/contact.html)

Paul
Thanks Paul. I won't go on a waiting list becuase I don't ned one of these things myself.

Jerry Olexa
11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Sounds interesting. You have whetted our appetite,,,,Pics would be great

brent lenthall
11-16-2004, 9:42 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the advance info. I bought a guide system from Dino a couple weeks ago. I'm impressed with the cut and accuracey of the system. However, my first several cuts were breaking down sheets of MDF that left me wanting for better dust collection. I'll be checking the website for this new product to go on sale.

thanks again.

brent

Dino Makropoulos
11-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the advance info. I bought a guide system from Dino a couple weeks ago. I'm impressed with the cut and accuracey of the system. However, my first several cuts were breaking down sheets of MDF that left me wanting for better dust collection. I'll be checking the website for this new product to go on sale.

thanks again.

brent

Hi Brent.
It will take few week's for the mold's.
Untill then you can do something like that. :D
Do you think this guy apply for a patent? :mad:

http://www.eurekazone.com/images/feedback/carlson1.jpg

I like his OSRDCHS. (Overhead-Suspended-Rotational-Dust-Collection-Hose-System)... :) You know...the string.

This is what I call Smart. Do toy see the IVROCS
I just notice the Intergraded-Veriable-Rotational-Overhead-Clamping-System?
You know...The 1"x4". on the left of the monster.(RAS)

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, I figured I'd give you an idea of what I tried with the Ryobi. Like I said, it wasn't right where I'd like to be with dust collection on a CS, but it did help. I have to believe that if a bit more attention were paid by whomever does the actual guard design, it could improve a lot more. Also, I found that there was still a fair amount of dust escaping directly in front of the blade. The whole thing is certainly better than NO collection or "dust guard", but still not as good as it could be. The pictures are strictly "prototype" in the crudest sense of the word. The first shows a piece of sheetmetal, which I simply stuck to the guard w/some double-sided tape. The next shows my "dust guard". It's just a hunk of some ply with rare earth mags recessed into it. The third pic is with the whole contraption attached. I did have to remove the guard lever for the ply to clear it, but otherwise, everything clears across all depths just fine. No, NOT rocket science and I'm sure that the OEM's out there could easily come up with something similar, albeit, just "slightly" more polished! :rolleyes: :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, I figured I'd give you an idea of what I tried with the Ryobi. Like I said, it wasn't right where I'd like to be with dust collection on a CS, but it did help. I have to believe that if a bit more attention were paid by whomever does the actual guard design, it could improve a lot more. Also, I found that there was still a fair amount of dust escaping directly in front of the blade. The whole thing is certainly better than NO collection or "dust guard", but still not as good as it could be. The pictures are strictly "prototype" in the crudest sense of the word. The first shows a piece of sheetmetal, which I simply stuck to the guard w/some double-sided tape. The next shows my "dust guard". It's just a hunk of some ply with rare earth mags recessed into it. The third pic is with the whole contraption attached. I did have to remove the guard lever for the ply to clear it, but otherwise, everything clears across all depths just fine. No, NOT rocket science and I'm sure that the OEM's out there could easily come up with something similar, albeit, just "slightly" more polished! :rolleyes: :cool:
Hi John.
The guard lever can be free if you mark and cut the ply.(just for the lever)
And for the front you can form (with heat) any clear plastic.
I have the same Ryobi and I will form some Lexan. I send you one.
The magnet's is a good Idea.
In few day's I will have the Euro Ryobi with very good dust protection and dust port. I post some pictures Up.

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks Dino! I'll see about making that additional mod for the lever. That is, WHEN I have a few "spare" moments! :rolleyes: Between that house and LOML, that's a rare thing anymore! :D (Well, at least until the Packer game comes on! :D ) :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
11-17-2004, 8:05 AM
Okay !!

Dino, now that Paul "Let the Cat out of the bag" you have to fill us in. Will you be showing this at the Edison WW show? How about some pics from YCF?

Hi Rick.
In (my hometown) Edison I be using the PMDS. The new Smart clamping system , the new Smart Table the new sliding square and the Pinifarina.
See You in Edison.
YCF Dino