PDA

View Full Version : Rope Border Help

Stanley Waldrup
04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I have been trying to put a Rope Border around a Dog Bone Shape for a while now. Is there an easy way to do this. The bone is 11 inches long and will be used for an award in a dog show.
Stanley

James Stokes
04-24-2010, 10:45 AM
I would just do it as an oval and let it go.

Dee Gallo
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I find you can spend more time and effort looking for "an easy way" than just sitting down and doing it. A dogbone shape is simple, just draw one using your image as a model, copy and enlarge another one. Center, then draw lines between to indicate rope. Group and adjust to size.

Done! :) dee

Joe Pelonio
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
See if you can use this eps file, it's the ( ) from my Rope font.

Darryl Hazen
04-24-2010, 7:54 PM
Stanley,

Have you ever used Artistic Media in Corel? If not, Type in Artistic Media in the Help section. It will tell you how to create new artistic media. You can create a rope design by using Joe's rope file and following the instructions. After you have created and saved the cmx file you can outline the bone with the paint brush icon. It will create a line that, when released, will replace the black line with a rope design. Do some test runs using the installed "brushes" under Artistic Media.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey Stanley,

get creative. Skip the rope. it will look like a copy of LaserBuzz tributes. Think like a dog owner. ropes don't apply. make little dog bones, paw prints, assorted vectored dog faces, name of dog show repeated around perimeter,etc...

just my 4 cents and ...

Stanley Waldrup
04-28-2010, 6:15 AM
I like that Idea and will make something along that line but the lady wanted a rope border around a dog bone that measured 11.5 long by 6 inches tall. I will talk to her a little later today and see if I can change her mind. She started out with ordering 20 of them. New pet store in town and wanted something different.
Stanley

Dave Johnson29
04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I like that Idea...

snip...

and see if I can change her mind.

In my humble opinion, that's the quickest way to lose a customer. If she wants something different, how does using something more conventional equate?

Just because it is easier for us to do, should not be a criteria for the customer to have their mind changed. Give the customer what she asked for.

We get postings here about business not being so good, well changing the customer's mind is the first step in achieving that. If she is a smart business woman, she will be off looking for someone who can do what she wants.

For all the time it has taken to discuss this you could have created ten different ropes. I used Joe's EPS offering and Darryl's suggestion and have a rope border in under 10 minutes. Start here... "HELP: To create a custom brushstroke"

My business, even though hobby based is growing out of control. I send off about 1/3 of my work to a trusted friend in Phoenix. I believe the growth is because of how I relate to customers. I give them what they want whether it is difficult for me or not. I think about "how I can do it" and not "how can I do it an easier way for me."

Michael Kowalczyk
04-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey Dave,
I respectfully disagree. She may have seen the rope border on a Laserbuzz product that Stanley may have and saw that as the only choice. By offering a more directly dog related border, IMHO, shows creativity and with many of my customers, it keeps them coming back for more because they know I am really thinking of them and not just settling for what is easiest. Give them the option.

Just another way of looking at it without knowing all the facts that only Stanley and his customer are privy to, at this point.

Thanks and ...

Jim Beachler
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Would have been better if Stanley had said that he would present different ideas to his customer. Nothing wrong with letting the customer know of other options. Doing that lets the customer know that you are thinking about the project instead of being a mindless robot and doing whatever they say.

Stanley Waldrup
04-29-2010, 3:23 PM
Well Here is what happened. I was doing one of the Craft shows last March when a couple of lady's were looking over my displays. I do a lot of Laserbuzz's Products. The lady's were in the process of setting up a new high end dog gromming business and want to know if I would be interested in putting a product line together for them. I am able to use Buzz's Graphics but they wanted the out lines to be different and exclusive to there store. No problem with any of the items untill I tried to do the picture frame. I tried to follow the instructions left by everyone but I guess I missing something. When I tried to follow the outline using the spray I never could get the results I wanted. here is the picture frame out line if anyone want to play with it.
Thanks
Stanley

Dave Johnson29
04-29-2010, 6:11 PM
untill I tried to do the picture frame.

Do you want a rope frame around the dog bone or is the dog bone the profile that you want to be a rope pattern?

Dee Gallo
04-29-2010, 6:50 PM
Stanley,

I looked at your CD file and it is done in pieces, which makes it hard to do anything involving following an outline. What you needed to do is select all 4 of the segments of the bone, weld them together to make one outline. Now your other processes should work.

Here is an example of just making a simple contour inside. You could add lines to indicate rope if you wanted them. The photo box can still be cut out of the center.

Please do yourself a favor and do some practice with CorelDraw tools.

FYI: The small jpeg is only 72 dpi, resulting in the white spaces you see, but the CDR file is continuous. Click on the thumbnail here and they disappear.

Keep working, you'll get it!

cheers, dee

Bob Heltibridle
04-29-2010, 8:06 PM
Not sure if this is what your looking for

Mike Null
04-29-2010, 8:49 PM
Bob

It would be helpful if you'd save files that you want to share back to earlier Corel versions such as v11. That will accomodate all of us who are not current with Corel.

Dave Johnson29
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM
It would be helpful if you'd save files that you want to share back to earlier Corel versions such as v11. That will accomodate all of us who are not current with Corel.

Er, make that v9. I know there are some here with v9 and I have v5 and v10. I remember from the trial of X4 that it goes down to v7. Fortunately v10 goes down to v5.

Bob Heltibridle
04-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry folks Hope this helps.