PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G5959 Table Saw: Is it any good?

Doug W Swanson
04-23-2010, 9:12 PM
I'm hoping to look at a used Grizzly G5959 TS this weekend. It's a 12", 5hp table saw that is probably way more saw than I will ever need but I might be able to pick it up for 1/3 the cost of a comparable new saw (G0696X).

Just about anything will be better than the 1954 Delta Homecraft I'm replacing but I don't want to throw money away either.

Is the G5959 a good saw? Any problems I should look for when I check it out?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Doug

Doug W Swanson
04-24-2010, 9:23 AM
Supposedly the replacement to this saw is the G0696X. Anybody have any experience with this saw? Would appreciate any feedback you can provide. I am going to look at the saw today.

Thanks! Doug

John Thompson
04-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure if the saw is rigth tilt but.. that may be the saw Shiraz (owner of Grizzly-Shopfox) has in his shop. If you can pick up a 5 HP.. 12" TS for 1/3 which is around $700 that is an outstanding deal IMO regardless of if it was upgraded. Ask the owner if it has an adapter to use 10" blades as I believe it does. If so.. then ask how difficult it is to apply the adapter as I seem to remember someone who purchased that saw when closed out and found the swith-over was somewhat difficult so he just purchased new 12" blades.

The 12" will give you the ability to cut 16/4 stock and the 5 HP will give you the power to get it through. I love my 10" 5 HP as I do rip 16/4 on occasion by addinga a 5/8" to 1" adapter ring and then using a 12" blade.

Good luck...