PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Freud router bit???

Michael Dunn
04-23-2010, 7:30 PM
I pretty much exclusively use Freud blades in my shop. A few months ago I bought my first Freud router bit. It is just a basic 1/2" diameter 1" long bearing guided template bit.

I just recently bought a Whiteside from Hartvilletool. Long story short the Freud is LOUD as heck, even with small passes. The Whiteside is very quiet.

The Freud is a bit older (bought it in December) than the Whiteside. Has anybody encountered this? Typically it wouldn't bother me. It's just that most of shop time is from 12:30 a.m. until about 3:00 a.m. My shop is in my attached 2 car garage. My router is the one tool that consistently wakes up my wife, even more so than the table saw. This Freud has been in the router most of the time.

I have been cleaning it with Blade & Bit cleaner. What could it be?

shotgunn

Neil Brooks
04-23-2010, 7:49 PM
Michael-

Bearings being bearings, you're probably looking at loose pack, or caged, BALL bearings within the bearing housing, and packed in grease.

Any degreaser that will do a NICE job on cleaning your blades and bits ... should also do a great job on DEgreasing your bearings -- generally considered a bad thing.

Is it possible that -- in your cleaning of the bits -- you sprayed and hit the bearings a time or two? It wouldn't take much.

I've got crappy eyes, so I've NEVER looked at my bit bearings, but ... even if they WERE serviceable, I'd sooner replace them than disassemble them.

And if they aren't replaceable ... a new bit might be your only option.

Michael Dunn
04-24-2010, 12:43 AM
That is totally possible. However, I think it was making that loud whining noise even before I began using the cleaner. I have only been using the blad & Bit Cleaner about 2-3 weeks.

I'll try another bearing next time. I have some spare bearings anyway.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Michael-

Bearings being bearings, you're probably looking at loose pack, or caged, BALL bearings within the bearing housing, and packed in grease.

Any degreaser that will do a NICE job on cleaning your blades and bits ... should also do a great job on DEgreasing your bearings -- generally considered a bad thing.

Is it possible that -- in your cleaning of the bits -- you sprayed and hit the bearings a time or two? It wouldn't take much.

I've got crappy eyes, so I've NEVER looked at my bit bearings, but ... even if they WERE serviceable, I'd sooner replace them than disassemble them.

Michael Dunn
04-24-2010, 1:42 AM
You were right on man! I just got home and checked the bearing. It is totally SHOT!!! The side closest to the flutes had come apart. Time for a new bearing.

Thanx man!!!

shotgunn

Michael-

Neil Brooks
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Happy to have cost you a few bucks ;)