PDA

View Full Version : Pellet stoves

Dick Howard
11-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Anyone heating their shop with a pellet stove? Looks like a good idea. Any pros or cons? Thanks, Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Dave Bartley
11-16-2004, 5:11 AM
Two issues come to mind. The first is pellet stoves have a fan going all the time so dust being stirred up whne trying to finish something could be a problem.

Second issue would be where are you going to store your pellets. Most of us do not have enough room in our shop as it is. Now you will lose more space fore the 40lb bags. they do need to be kept in a dry space.

I have heated my home with a pellet stove for almost 15 years. Good steady heat, but does create some dust of it's own.

Carole Valentine
11-16-2004, 9:39 AM
A friend of mine uses a pellet stove and loves it. Apparently the fan/dust/finishing thing is not a problem with his setup but he does not do "fine furniture", only carvings and small boat restorations. My brother just installed a corn stove to heat his house and it does a great job. He grows corn so he has a ready supply of fuel.

Jim Stastny
11-16-2004, 5:38 PM
I've got friends in Boise who use a pellet stove to heat their home. They love it. I use a kerosene heater in my one-car, garage shop. It suits me just fine. Consider not olny the the issues in the above posts but also the amount of heat generated. Pellet stoves generate tons of heat. I suppose the size of the stove and the size of your shop would determine the answer. However, my little kerosene heater sometimes produces more heat than I need.

Tyler Howell
11-16-2004, 6:06 PM
I have heard corn can be used in these devices and the price is competetive.
I'm a city kid and wouldn't know about such things but worth looking into.

dale rex
11-16-2004, 9:53 PM
I use a pellet stove to heat my house and love it!. I have also considered the use of one in my future garage(shop) being built very soon. My only issue is the dust associated with woodworking. I think it would be detrimental to the stoves longevity. These stoves are full of electronics and blowers and motors(etc). I think all of the dust that would be taken into the intake of a pellet stove would shorten its life.

craig carlson
11-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I also have heated my house for 15 years with a pellet stove. I love it! There are no yellow jackets, termites in the wood or the other bugs that you may find in wood and a whole lot of less ash coming out of it. Storage, for the pellets, can be a problem and the number of square feet that the stove will take up could also be a problem. I decided that in the shop I'd put a radient heater on top of a 10 gallon propane tank that I could move where I wanted it and it works great for my climate.

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca.