PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Trees aplenty

Bill Bulloch
04-23-2010, 1:25 PM
Last September I went to Cleveland, Georgia and cut down a large Walnut Tree. I brought home a big bag of nuts too. I gave most of the nuts to the Squirrels, but did plant some in a large container that I use to plant my tomatoes in. Much to my surprise, 26 of them sprouted this Spring. I had twelve one gallon containers and and a larger one, so I transplated 12 to individual pots, put eight in the larger container and left 8 in the original tomatoe container. I plan on letting them develope a root system before I put (some of) them in the ground next year.

You might want to get you name on the waiting list for some of this fine Walnut timber. It should be ready in 30 - 35 years. Or, if you live near by, you can come by and get yourself a sapling or two and grow your own.

John Keeton
04-23-2010, 1:57 PM
You might want to get you name on the waiting list for some of this fine Walnut timber. It should be ready in 30 - 35 years.Bill, very nice offer, and I have logged that on my calendar!!:D Let's see.....61 now +35......hmmmmmm.....I don't see a problem! Count on it, I will be there!

alex carey
04-23-2010, 2:08 PM
I'll take one, 20+35, i definitely have a good chance here.

bob svoboda
04-23-2010, 2:36 PM
I'll take one, 20+35, i definitely have a good chance here.
Ouch...that's treading close to the edge of an acceptable gloat:D Maybe if some Miracle Gro is added John and I will have a chance:eek:

Mike Minto
04-23-2010, 3:06 PM
photos, guys - photos!

Prashun Patel
04-23-2010, 3:18 PM
Ah the circle of life!

Add another couple years to that for drying.

I'm sure u know this, but watch out where you plant these. Many plants and grass don't fare well around walnut.

Richard Coers
04-23-2010, 3:38 PM
Bill,
You do know that walnut trees aren't good yard trees don't you? Are you going to plant them near some woods? They hold their leaves for a very short time, so make very poor shade trees. The worst thing is that they produce a chemical called juglone. It ain't healthy for many plants.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Bill Bulloch
04-23-2010, 3:51 PM
Bill,
You do know that walnut trees aren't good yard trees don't you? Are you going to plant them near some woods? They hold their leaves for a very short time, so make very poor shade trees. The worst thing is that they produce a chemical called juglone. It ain't healthy for many plants.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
Yea, I know. When the guy on the lot next to mine was going to build his house, the guys who graded the spot miss read the blueprint and cleaded a 75' by 125' spot on the edge of my property. It's not close to anything and nothing grows there. That is where I will plant about 8 of them.

Bill Bulloch
04-23-2010, 4:40 PM
Bill, very nice offer, and I have logged that on my calendar!!:D Let's see.....61 now +35......hmmmmmm.....I don't see a problem! Count on it, I will be there!

I'll be 114 by then, so you might need to bring someone to help you load it. I just might not be much help with the larger pieces.

Scott Lux
04-23-2010, 4:48 PM
By some quirk of nature, the Black Walnut is one of the more common trees near me. I'm told that's unusual. But as a result, I mow over hundreds of seedlings every year.

Ya want 'em, come get 'em. Wild seedlings don't transplant well after the first couple of months. The taproot goes too deep.

Robert McGowen
04-23-2010, 5:18 PM
I probably will be getting one of Bill's walnut trees. I was thinking about cutting it right at the first leaf, which should be a crotch and full of cool looking wood. Also, do you think that the root would have any burl around it yet? Well, I have to go now.... I am on the way to the store to pick up a couple of gallons of anchorseal. Don't want that trunk cracking on me. :rolleyes:

Toney Robertson
04-23-2010, 6:31 PM
I don't think that 35 years is going to get you a lumber or turning blank size tree.

My brother and BIL planted 2 acres of walnut trees about 30 years ago. They were supposed to be Purdue #1 hybrid trees that could be harvested for veneer in 20-25 years. Well, 30 years out and the biggest is probably 14" in diameter. A forester I talked to said that you need to plan on at least 50 years and it was basically a rip off.

So I would not start planning walnut projects just yet!!

Toney

Bill Bulloch
04-23-2010, 6:40 PM
I don't think that 35 years is going to get you a lumber or turning blank size tree.

My brother and BIL planted 2 acres of walnut trees about 30 years ago. They were supposed to be Purdue #1 hybrid trees that could be harvested for veneer in 20-25 years. Well, 30 years out and the biggest is probably 14" in diameter. A forester I talked to said that you need to plan on at least 50 years and it was basically a rip off.

So I would not start planning walnut projects just yet!!

Toney
Well I probably am not going to get much out of this adventure. It takes about 20 years for a Walnut Tree to product a nut.

Bill Wilcox
04-23-2010, 8:29 PM
Well I probably am not going to get much out of this adventure. It takes about 20 years for a Walnut Tree to product a nut.

Even so Bill, however I think it is fantastic that your doing this. I am in the process of planting some Maple and Ash to give back to Mother Nature so that future turners may enjoy this wonderful pastime.
Kudos' to you Bill from another,
Bill Wilcox

Leo Van Der Loo
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Bill don't keep the seedlings too long in a container, the Walnut does make a long taproot, and needs it to grow down to survive drought times, a seedling with a taproot that has grown around in a container is not going to grow as well and survive as a seedling with a properly grown taproot straight down, just a heads up :)

Here's some more info on the Black Walnut trees if you like to know it.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/juglans/nigra.htm

alex carey
04-23-2010, 11:24 PM
20+50, I'm still good to go :)

Richard Madison
04-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Good work Bill. Hope your trees do well. In years past have had good luck with maples and a couple hundred live oak seedlings. Trying a couple flats of teeny cedar elm seedlings now.

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Bill count me in. I will be a young 98.:D:rolleyes:

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 6:57 AM
Even so Bill, however I think it is fantastic that your doing this. I am in the process of planting some Maple and Ash to give back to Mother Nature so that future turners may enjoy this wonderful pastime.
Kudos' to you Bill from another,
Bill WilcoxBill, for you and others, if you have some rural acreage, there are many Federal matching programs for the planting of trees and habitat. We have planted 2,500 trees on our property, and you guys paid for 75% of the cost of those plantings!! THANKS!

The plantings were done in two different areas - one for hardwoods, and one for soft mass plantings of dogwoods, persimmon, etc.

So, unknowingly, most of you all are "giving back" continuously!!:D I will avoid further comment on that in compliance with the TOS!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 9:49 AM
Bill, for you and others, if you have some rural acreage, there are many Federal matching programs for the planting of trees and habitat. We have planted 2,500 trees on our property, and you guys paid for 75% of the cost of those plantings!! THANKS!

The plantings were done in two different areas - one for hardwoods, and one for soft mass plantings of dogwoods, persimmon, etc.

So, unknowingly, most of you all are "giving back" continuously!!:D I will avoid further comment on that in compliance with the TOS!!

John I just want to say thank you very much for planting my tree's. Since you said I paid for them I will be bringing my chainsaw and my anchorseal to collect a few of those.:eek::D:rolleyes:;)

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 12:18 PM
...I will be bringing my chainsaw and my anchorseal to collect a few of those.:eek::D:rolleyes:;)Bernie, while you are certainly welcome to a few, right now a small garden shovel will do!! They have about a 3 year head start on Bill's trees. Check back in about 30 years or so!:)