PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 repair service

Paul Williams
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
The speed control on my new Delta midi started acting up. Pretty sure it is just a faulty reostat. I called Delta and they are sending out a new speed control unit.

Actually if it could be made stable and moved to the lower end of the dial it would make a nice feature. What happens is as you increase the speed past 8 on the dial it starts to slow down. Relatively constant until just before the 9 it runs at 75 rpm on the lowest belt setting. Still has quite a bit of power and would make a nice low end speed. If you increase the speed setting to the stop it jumps up to full speed.

Anyway, once past the auto telephone sustem the service was good and if they get the part here as fast as they say they would I will be quite satisfied.

Joe Aliperti
04-23-2010, 1:10 PM
The speed control on my new Delta midi started acting up. Pretty sure it is just a faulty reostat. I called Delta and they are sending out a new speed control unit.

Actually if it could be made stable and moved to the lower end of the dial it would make a nice feature. What happens is as you increase the speed past 8 on the dial it starts to slow down. Relatively constant until just before the 9 it runs at 75 rpm on the lowest belt setting. Still has quite a bit of power and would make a nice low end speed. If you increase the speed setting to the stop it jumps up to full speed.

Anyway, once past the auto telephone sustem the service was good and if they get the part here as fast as they say they would I will be quite satisfied.

Mine is acting up too. Up near the high end of the speed range, occasionally the RPMs start surging and get erratic. I recorded a video of it, and will post it up to youtube at some point. Nice to hear you were able to get a replacement speed unit.

Donny Lawson
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
No problems with mine so far. Hope it stays that way too.
Donny

Paul Williams
04-29-2010, 9:38 PM
The speed control came on Tuesday good service form Delta. I installed it this evening. I did check the old one and the only thing wrong with it was a 39 cent poteniometer.

Interesting series of company names. I called the number listed as Delta. It was answered as Porter Cable. The part came in a box marked Delta, and packing list came from Dewalt. I know they are all the same company now. I just expected they would stick with one of the names for one service.

JerHall
04-29-2010, 11:19 PM
upgrade for my Jet Mini. Behaved that way before it quit entirely and burned out some circuitry. I am sure Delta has better quality electronics, but I wonder if the basic VS technology of low end single phase VS boxes may have limitations when under heavy load. Just a guess. Had you two been doing heavy turning? I have a Delta VS too and sure hope this isn't a pattern. But I use mine mostly for teaching, traveling and relatively light work.

Paul Williams
04-30-2010, 3:57 PM
No heavy turning. My lathe had less than 10 hours run time when it started acting up. Nothing wrong with the speed control itself. The problem was a potentiometer that developed a bad spot on the contact between the rotor and the main resistor.