PDA

View Full Version : Source for Smoked Acrylic

Peter Meacham
04-23-2010, 9:41 AM
Does anyone have a known source for smoked acrylic panels - especially if you have engraved on such and can report results.

Thanks, Pete

Mike Null
04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Pete

As usual Delvies is the answer. This engraves like acrylic.

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Transparent_Cast_Acrylic_Sheet

Peter Meacham
04-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks Mike, I thought I had looked at them, but I guess not. I looked at others but did not find what I wanted.

I will give Delvies a try.

Thanks again. Pete

Dee Gallo
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Pete

As usual Delvies is the answer. This engraves like acrylic.

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Transparent_Cast_Acrylic_Sheet

Delvies is always the answer! I had a package arrive gouged (scratched the acrylic inside) and UPS told me they would take care of it, but call the company to let them know there was a damage claim. Delvies sent me a replacement before UPS even picked up the bad one, it arrived the next day! What a great company! And their products seem superior to everything else I've used.

:) dee

Martin Boekers
04-23-2010, 1:48 PM
Delvies is great! They were recommended to me by a fellow "Creeker" awhile back.

Until then I was buying whole sheets and having them cut for transport.
This limited the colors and thickness as it cost a fortune to have others cut a smaller piece.

Great selection and sizes!

Marty

Shawn Conklin
04-23-2010, 3:14 PM
I have bought and used AC Ryan panels from performance-pcs.com ... can't speak for laser though, we used them for case mods without etchings. Didn't have any problems. ACRyan makes some solid panels, especially the UV ones ... but are a bit more $.

-Shawn

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
You might stop my Tap Plastics next time you are in the Bay Area, I think one of the two in San Jose are closest, but then again maybe Stockton. There you can see all of the various percentages of opacity, they have 5-6
different smoked acrylics. They also sell scraps by the pound that are very handy for small jobs and experimenting.

Ross Moshinsky
04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
P95 Plexiglas is a nice smoked product. Anyone that sells Plexiglas could probably get it for you. I have no idea how it cuts with the laser, but I assume it cuts just fine.

Peter Meacham
04-24-2010, 7:48 AM
Thanks to all for your inputs. Regarding Tap plastics, I hope to be going to San Jose area (Yes, I know the way) for the ShopBot camp and Maker Faire next month - not sure if the project will hold that long or not.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Pete