PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0690 tablesaw

Prashun Patel
04-23-2010, 9:34 AM
One step closer to pulling the trigger on a new saw. Was looking at the Sawstop, but I'm impressed with the Grizzly G0690 for the price.

Any comments on this saw? Wood Mag listed it as the best value in cabinet saws (actually, the G0691, which just has a couple bells/whistles).

The upsides were the splitter/knife ease of removal, and the fence. Both of these are huge for me.

The downside was the accuracy of the cursor. I'll just make my own.

(edit: Mike's right; I had the wrong model#'s. Corrected...)

Mike Goetzke
04-23-2010, 9:36 AM
Better check your model #'s.

Jim O'Dell
04-23-2010, 11:03 AM
I have the G0691 and love it. And I don't see a problem with the cursor. Mine seems very easy to read. Powerful, easy to set up. Now the one little quirk that I'm still trying to find a way to "fix" is in the fence. It's not a problem, just something that bugs me a little after using the Biese I have on my contractor saw...when locking down, the back end pops up. I have an idea on how to fix that, just haven't implemented it yet. Doesn't seem to knock the fence out of alignment or anything, that's why I say it isn't a problem, just something that bugs me a little.
Dust door was a breeze to enlarge to 6" piping and works great. Also nice that it is on the right side of the saw instead of the left or back.
The SS is nice. If you have the bucks you want to put toward that saw, you won't go wrong. If you have a lower budget, or other tools you need to purchase, go for the Griz. It is a very nice unit. Jim.

Ray Bell
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I recently bought the 0691, and am extremely impressed with it. Other than a small effort to get the wings level it was set up, and very accurate, straight from the factory.

I had the same mental battle as you between the SS and the Grizz. The SS is a nice saw, and I probably looked at it 10 times, but finally decided I could get the 0691, and the G0514X2 band saw for about the same money, so that is what I did. I haven't got the bandsaw up and running yet, but it seems to be well made, and I expect already set up well. I know from just spinning the wheels it seems to be tracking fine.

Anyway good luck with your decision. All I can say is for the money I don't think you can go wrong with the Grizzly products.

Prashun Patel
04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Ray-
It's funny you say that! I am considering the 'budget' saw precisely bkz I also want to get the G0513x2. So, how do you like that saw?

Mikail Khan
04-23-2010, 1:10 PM
I have had my 691 (difference is 50" rail) for about 5 months now and I'm very happy with it.

Problems:

Both the regular and dado insert were not flat. I made my own zero clearance inserts out of 1/2 ply.
The plastic face on the fence is not perfectly flat but I have not changed it out as yet.
Blade guard could be better. I wil probaly make my own with overhead dust collection.
Riving knife is great.

I upgraded from a Bosch 4100 so I don't have much to compare it with.

I"ve had a 514X 19" Bandsaw for about 2-3 years and for the price it is an excellent machine.

MK

Ray Bell
04-23-2010, 2:06 PM
Ray-
It's funny you say that! I am considering the 'budget' saw precisely bkz I also want to get the G0513x2. So, how do you like that saw?

Shawn, I love this saw. It is solid, well made, and set up very easily. I do want an out feed table though, and am trying to figure out how to build it. The back rail is modified channel iron. I think I will either cut out the top of the channel where the out feed table will go, or replace the whole rail with straight angle iron. Anybody have better suggestions?

Peter Aeschliman
04-23-2010, 3:36 PM
Ah, Ray, I see you made your decision!

Congrats!

Prashun Patel
04-23-2010, 4:23 PM
I can't believe I just did this: pulled the trigger on a Sawstop!!! YIKES! Got about as good a deal as I cld probably hope for.

That bandsaw upgrade'll just have to wait....

Jim O'Dell
04-23-2010, 4:48 PM
Shawn, I love this saw. It is solid, well made, and set up very easily. I do want an out feed table though, and am trying to figure out how to build it. The back rail is modified channel iron. I think I will either cut out the top of the channel where the out feed table will go, or replace the whole rail with straight angle iron. Anybody have better suggestions?

Ray, keep in mind that the rear of the fence rides on the rear rail top. There are some adjustments on the pad so you could have something a little lower if need be, but you have to have a slot that it can ride through. If there is a gap between the outfeed table and the back of the saw, it should only be about an inch, that won't be a problem. I have my outfeed table on wheels and I just push it up against the back rail and it poses no problems. Jim.

I forgot, congrats on the SS Shawn. By all accounts, you'll enjoy it! Jim.

Prashun Patel
04-23-2010, 5:12 PM
Ray, my current saw (Jet Proshop) has an angle iron rail upon which the fence rides. What I did was bolt a piece of 2x stock onto the inside of the "L" and used longer bolts to secure the 2x and the rail to the saw tops. Then I mounted my outfeed table to the 2x stock.

Ray Bell
04-23-2010, 5:20 PM
Ah, Ray, I see you made your decision!

Congrats!

Yes Peter, after much internal debate, and soul searching I went with the Grizz as I really wanted the new band saw at the same time. I was also going through my electrical upgrade simultaneously, and there is only so much money available. Thank you for all your thoughts on the Saw Stop attributes, and I hope you are now set up and able to use yours. Still waiting on pictures;)

Ray Bell
04-23-2010, 5:24 PM
Ray, my current saw (Jet Proshop) has an angle iron rail upon which the fence rides. What I did was bolt a piece of 2x stock onto the inside of the "L" and used longer bolts to secure the 2x and the rail to the saw tops. Then I mounted my outfeed table to the 2x stock.
Thanks Shawn, I'll figure something out. Congrats on the new Saw Stop. I'm sure you will never regret it. Besides the safety aspect, I have only heard good things about that saw, and I hope I NEVER regret not buying one:rolleyes: I just have to remember there is a very sharp blade there going really fast!