PDA

View Full Version : Box elder duck call

Aaron Wingert
04-23-2010, 9:22 AM
Here's a red stabilized box elder burl duck call that I turned the other night. It's my first stabilized call, and I belive that the turning vortex actually has a secondary vortex...Purchasing stabilized wood...I'm feeling the pull. I just love this material and its character, but it did turn out a bit pink for my liking.

The call's insert is black acrylic, and I make the entire thing. No commercial parts, kits, etc. It sounds pretty darn good.

The band is black anodized aluminum.

I didn't put a finish on it. Just sanded to 800 and buffed it with tripoli and white diamond on the Beall buffer.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh446/thekctermite/IMG_3836.jpg

Aaron Wingert
04-23-2010, 9:23 AM
And yeah, the photography is lacking. It was a hurry-up shot and setup because my twin four month old boys were starting to fuss!

Paul Douglass
04-23-2010, 9:52 AM
Very nice. I have to learn more about this call business. Looks like they would be fun to make.

John Keeton
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Nice work, Aaron!! Particularly since you didn't buy any "guts" for it!;) Is this part of the "pre-surgery" turning spree?

Scott Lux
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Nice call. I beg to differ on the photography. I think the pic is very nice. It's well composed, and shows the gloss well.

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Amazing call Aaron! Great colors and I really like the depth in the wood! Pretty impressive work - especially since you made everything!

David E Keller
04-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I like it... I've noticed the same thing about the colors of stabilized woods... The reds are kind of pink and many other colors are sort of like pastels. Sometimes a little oil will darken the color a bit. I'd also consider a coat of ren wax to help with preservation of the color.

Great work on the 'guts' of that call, too.

Aaron Wingert
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Is this part of the "pre-surgery" turning spree?

You hit the nail on the head John. I'm trying to fill tons of orders I'm sitting on so I don't have to tell customers that they'll have to wait on their duck and turkey calls because I need 4 to 6 weeks to recover from hand surgery before I can turn wood again. (actually I think hand sanding will be the challenge, and callmaking involves a lot of hand sanding). The really scary part is that I'll have tons of free time to buy wood online while I recover. Uh oh. :p

Thanks for the compliments guys. I don't always make my own call guts but it is a heck of a lot more of a challenge than buying something pre-made, so the end result is much more rewarding. I've made enough of them that I pretty much have it down, but a lot of wood and acrylic got wasted in the process of learning!

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2010, 9:24 PM
That is one beautiful call Aaron.

Donny Lawson
04-24-2010, 10:14 AM
That's a nice call. Any hunter would love to own one.Keep up the good work.
Donny

brian watts
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
very nice call you have there.

Baxter Smith
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
That is some of the nicest burl I have seen.

John W Dixon
04-25-2010, 2:03 PM
Aaron as usual beautiful work. That is a great looking call.

John