PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Bowl Lathe - Additional info and pictures

Dale Winburn
04-23-2010, 8:26 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments. Some ask for additional information and pictures, if anyone is interested in building a similar lathe I'll provide all the help and info I can.

The first picture below shows early testing. I started with a 4" X 4" X 1/4" H beam. After some testing I realized that with a large out-of-balance blank I would get some twisting and vibration so I welded a 4" X 1/4" plate to each side of the H beam, this solved most of the vibration problem.

A 4" square tube with maybe 1/4" wall thickness (for a heavy duty lathe maybe use a 6" square tube) would be a better choice for the main pedestal.

I scrounged the pillow block & bearings at a junk yard then turned the spindle on my old 9" South Bend metal lathe, it has 1 1/2" x 8 tpi and is solid (no hole through the spindle). I have 1 1/2" inserts for my Vicmarc chucks and face plates and other chucks from my South Bend. The spindle will be the most difficult part for most people to build. A local machine shop could build the spindle to your specs.

The 3rd picture is of the tool rest bed. This is made with 3" X 1 1/2" X 3/8" steel angle and is 12" long. This should be at least 18" long. I did not consider how far out a bowl extends when mounted in the chuck. The bed can be lowered about 5" to increase the capacity to 28".

The tool rest (banjo) is 2" X 1 1/2" X 3/8" and is 12" long. The tool rest holder can be any round steel tube with a 1" hole threaded for a bolt. I use a 1/2" bolt.

I think that some heavy rectangle bar stock (maybe 1 1/2" X 2") would work for both the bed and banjo replacing the steel angle.

Stephen Massman
04-23-2010, 8:55 AM
Thanks for the info.

Do you think a shroud around the motor would be beneficial. I cant help thinking the shavings and dust getting the motor would be a bad thing.

Steve

Charlie Reals
04-23-2010, 9:02 AM
Dale,
Thanks loads for this post. I CAN see one under a shade tree. I found a need to let the better half see this. Her Dad was a machinist and a scrounger. Her remark was " you could find what you don't have by this afternoon I'm sure" she caught herself and shut up but it was tooooo late lol.
Charlie

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks like quite the rugged little lathe! I really like the small footprint as well as the expanded swing capability!

Nice work! Very well thought out!

Thanks for sharing!

Bill Bolen
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Sweet bit of fabrication! It's small stature would allow a fit into even the smallest shops. Looking forward to many pic's of your projects that come off of it...Bill...

Dale Winburn
04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Shavings and dust getting in the motor doesn't seem to be a problem, I vacuum up the shavings and dust often including the motor, however, I probable should have a shield over the belt pulley for safety reasons.

John Hart
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Hmmm...That reminds me. I still have a giant lathe to build.

Sheesh.....I knew coming back here was gonna get me in trouble.:(

That is one really cool lathe Dale!! I tip my hat. :)

Ryan Baker
04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I would think you would want to bore out that spindle so you could do vacuum chucking. With no vacuum chuck and no tailstock, it seems like finishing bowls becomes a bit difficult (stuck with Cole jaws, donut chucks, etc). Just a thought.

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Great looking bowl lathe. You don't need a hollow spindle for a vac chuck. Go to Bill Grumbine's website. He had one that you didn't need a hole in the spindle.

Dale Winburn
04-24-2010, 7:42 AM
I have a 12" Rockwell/Delta lathe where I could use a vacuum chuck, if I had one. I normally use bowl jaws to finish the bottom and foot of my bowls.

Andrew Kertesz
04-24-2010, 8:15 AM
Great lathe and American ingenuity!! Do I see a new lathe company in the making.. :)

Baxter Smith
04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Nice job and very interesting. If I hadn't just put a wood floor over my concrete I might be tempted.:)

Mark Norman
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Very well done Dale! is the motor VS? that would help a lot and a TEFC motor would not be harmed by dust or shavings.

I too was discouraged by the high cost of commercially available lathes with decent capacity and resorted to building my own. I however, used concrete for the pedestal.
Happy turnings!
Mark