http://www.osbornewoodworks.com/images/IMG_0896.JPG

Rob Littleton
11-15-2004, 9:48 PM
What a great idea.......

Thanks for sharing

Jack Hogoboom
11-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Kenn,

That is a GREAT idea!!!! Please tell us how you adhere the spindles to the ball.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Tony Falotico
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
But won't they be a little on the heavy side to hang on a tree ?? :confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Cute Kenn!

Betsy Yocum
11-15-2004, 11:34 PM
But won't they be a little on the heavy side to hang on a tree ?? :confused:
Hang on a tree! - Heck no - if I gave that to my boss he'd just think that it was a nifty pre-set tee and plug it into the ground and give it a good swing! Hang it on the tree - NO WAY!!!!!:D

in all seriousness - Kenn- that is a good idea - it's novel. I like it - it's thinking outside of that box we all talk about. Way to go!

Betsy

Kurt Aebi
11-16-2004, 7:49 AM
Kenn,

Awesome Idea!

You oughta send it into one of the Mag.'s - I bet they'd publish it!

Excellent work - as you Always do! You are a great talent there!

Thanks for sharing!

Keith Outten
11-16-2004, 8:26 AM
Great idea Ken, thanks for sharing.

Kenn Osborne
11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
It is a bit on the heavy side but not too bad. I compared it to some other ornaments we have for our tree and it wasn't that much of a difference.

There is a hole drilled through the ball. I did this by wrapping masking tape around the center of the ball, putting it in my chuck on the lathe, and drilling a 5/16 hole all the way through to make sure the top and bottom align. The top and bottom wood pieces have a 5/16 tenon on them and are inserted and guled to the ball.

George M. Perzel
11-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Neat idea- be a little carefull drilling golf balls as some of the older ones had liquid centers under pressure-not sure if they do that anymore as I've been away from the game for quite awhile.
George M. Perzel

Jack Hogoboom
11-16-2004, 2:14 PM
That would definitely be a bummer :eek: . I like Betsy's idea of teeing them up, but I think I'll stick to trying to make an ornament or two. :D I have a bunch of unused golf balls in my basement.

Jack

Jack Hogoboom
11-16-2004, 2:17 PM
Kenn,

This is such a great idea. You should definitely submit it to one of the magazines.
:D
I'm surprised you drilled the ball. Didn't you get tangled up in all the wound elastic inside? :eek: I guess if you wanted it to be light, you could hollow out the inside like a hollow form!!

Thanks again for sharing.

Jack

Betsy Yocum
11-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Kenn - besides thinking of these as tree ornaments - I bet they would look nice in a gift basket arrangment. They may be a bit heavy for the tree itself unless you do as the others have suggested and hollow them out a bit. These are definitly pretty enough that you want them to be towards the outside of the tree and, of course, those are the branches that need the lightest ornaments.

I do think you are onto a neat idea and I think you should be able to find plenty of people who would enjoy having them.

Thanks for sharing
Betsy