PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the trouble

Ted Evans
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
This is an old Maple that the owner had cut down last August. The tree removers told him that it was too big for them to cut any lower so they left it. He gave me all that they had cut and said that I could have the stump if I wanted it. I am old, fat and out of shape but I believe I can take it down, the question is, do you think it would be worth the effort?

The saw in the picture has a 30” bar so you can get some idea of size. Some of the cut stuff is a little peppy but there is quite a bit that is good with some nice spalting.

Ted

Richard Madison
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Ted, it's a judgement call on your part. Only you know your own limitations. Probably some good turning wood there, but if you already have a lifetime supply from the rest of the tree, why bother. On the other hand if you are running low on wood maybe just one or two more pieces off the top.

I recently gathered a few pieces of hackberry with help from small wife and smaller (than yours) chainsaw. There was a lot more that I would like to have gotten, but we got what we could within our limitations and at that point good judgement prevailed and we went home.

Got any stronger, younger friends that might help with that unsightly stump?

Leo Van Der Loo
04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=Ted Evans;1406350]This is an old Maple that the owner had cut down last August. The tree removers told him that it was too big for them to cut any lower so they left it. He gave me all that they had cut and said that I could have the stump if I wanted it. I am old, fat and out of shape but I believe I can take it down, the question is, do you think it would be worth the effort?

The saw in the picture has a 30” bar so you can get some idea of size. Some of the cut stuff is a little peppy but there is quite a bit that is good with some nice spalting.

Ted

Ted, my experience has been that nice curly and figured wood comes from large trees most often.
If you can get it to a horizontal position ;), you can then cut pieces off of it that you can handle, and it will probably be easier to get some helpers when the tree is down.
I certainly think it is worth to give it a try, just think it over and take your time doing it, you will only know for sure when you see the inside, just the thing with any piece of wood :)
Have fun and take care

Ken Hill
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I will be coming past Crossville tomorrow, if I did not have some broken ribs I would offer to help!

Reed Gray
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Don't you have any turning buddies who might help. If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I would swing by. The part of the tree where it flares out on the bottom always has beautiful figure.

robo hippy

alex carey
04-23-2010, 1:11 AM
like Richard said its a judgment call, if your like me and you anticipate a nuclear war in which you couldn't get any fresh wood and you have stocked up for years to come then it may not be worth it but if you are starving wood and its hard to come by then I'd go for it. Don't have to do it in one day. It took me 3 days to take down a whole olive tree by myself. No need to rush.

Greg Just
04-23-2010, 6:50 AM
Do you belong to a turning club? You could make it a club outting and share the wood along with the work. There is more wood there than one person could ever use. Good Luck and go slow!

Jim Underwood
04-23-2010, 6:37 PM
All you need to get it horizontal is a little dynamite.... :p

Brendan Plavis
04-23-2010, 9:18 PM
Dynamite....hmm now theres an idea.... heck, while we are at it, why dont we try a few JDAMs.....

In all honesty, it looks a bit big for one person to take down... not to mention, if it even falls on your foot, you are screwed... I would seriously invest in some steel cable 1/2+ and rent a bulldozer... just pull it up...

jon arbor
04-24-2010, 12:25 AM
That looks like silver maple bark. I don't think I would bother with it at this stage unless you like sanding or your tools are sharper than mine (which could be). Silver maple goes downhill fast. Although the end results can be beautiful getting there is a pain.

Edward Bartimmo
04-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Mash the right pedal with 100' foot head start and good length of chain attached to a 2 ton truck you rented from Thrifty or Avis....spend the extra $15 on the optional insurance policy

Actually, the suggestion for calling or reaching out to local turner's club is solid idea.

alex carey
04-24-2010, 3:03 AM
I like Edwards idea! 15$ to see a show.

Nathan Hawkes
04-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks like its worth the trouble for sure! You can see compression folds in the picture! Ditto what everyone else has already said; flares or "buttresses" at or near ground level are full of wonderful figure! It looks like there's a few truckloads of great turning wood there. You can pick and choose what's "the best" and burn the rest as firewood. Even if 25-30% of it is too punky to use, the spectacular figure that you'll likely find in part of it will outweigh the rest!

Bob Borzelleri
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
If you can get hold of one of those cute little carving chain saws, you could cut away everything that doesn't look like Michelangelo's David. Then all you would need is a two man buck saw and a fork lift to get it home.:D

Ted Evans
04-24-2010, 2:58 PM
Thanks to all for the input on the big Maple, some good suggestions, and some, that are quite interesting and entertaining, dynamite, cable, chains etc. I have very little experience as to what to expect from trees such as this one as for as the quality of the wood. If there is a good potential for nicely figured wood, I am stubborn and independent enough to attempt it. I think I can take it down in pieces to within about three feet of the ground, then I may have to make some vertical with the horizontal cuts to get down to ground level. I hate to see things wasted by burning and, I like having enough stock to practice on for a week or two. It may be a couple of weeks before I have the time to attempt the task and if I am successful, I will post some pictures and let you know. If I am not, then more than likely I will be rather quite about it.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-24-2010, 5:30 PM
Almost guaranteed to have curly wood in there Ted.
I'd make a dozen or more wedges 6" or so long and a 1" thick, then stick that chainsaw bar in there and start walking around, while hammering a wedge in the cut every foot or two till you have cut all the way around, if done right the log should stand free on the wedges.
You should be able to topple it over than.
Of course you can also go the regular way and cut a deep wedge out of the trunk and than cut through from the other side, even there some wooden wedges would come in handy so you don't pinch the bar.
Go for it Ted, if you don't you'll forever wonder what could have been in there for beautiful wood.
Just don't get hurt, just take your time and think it through

Had another look at the pictures, I think you need a longer bar to be able to cut it off, so you will have to go with the deep wedge cutout probably, you can see better right there if it is possible to go which way, have fun and take care.

Tim Browne
04-26-2010, 7:19 AM
Ted,
The Cumberland Woodturners are based in Crossville. Check their website for contact info and see if some want to help. Like Greg said, could make a club outing out of it.
http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/