PDA

View Full Version : Tenon cutting Router bit

Terry Welty
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have experience with this type of router bit for cutting tenons?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/TG5-8627/Tenon-Cutting-CMT-Router-Bit-800627

George Brown
04-23-2010, 2:34 PM
Expensive!!!

Thomas Pender
04-23-2010, 3:36 PM
I would rather cut the tenons by hand and then use a shoulder plane than use this kind of bit. You almost have to (or should) use a sled so it does not rip out of your hand on the router table. Any number of tenon jigs also do a better job, especially Pat Warner's and they are safer.

Homer Faucett
04-23-2010, 5:24 PM
I will say that I have never used this type of bit, which I will admit can take a big bite at once. However, it's essentially an overgrown cope cutter like you use for cope and stick joinery. I'm not sure I understand why there is the insinuation above that other methods will do a better job.

I agree, you should use a coping sled for this--one with a lockdown and handle, and I'd probably take multiple passes if I wanted a true 1" tenon, but it looks like a viable option to me. Further, I don't think the price is totally out of line based upon the size of the bit.

Michael Panis
04-23-2010, 7:06 PM
Call me nuts, but I like having the ability to adjust my tenons to my mortises which are sometimes a little bigger than planned.

Dennis Lopeman
04-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Or use a table saw with a jig... That router bit scares me a little! Be sure to do multiple passes - don't try to take all the meat off at once.

Mike Cutler
04-26-2010, 1:03 PM
If I was doing a lot of T&G joints, I might use that bit, and have ( although the bit I have is a little different than that for T&G's)

I think the primary reason I wouldn't use it for M&T joints is that it limits tenon length to just over 1", and I cut the mortise first, and then match the tenon to it.