PDA

View Full Version : Glueing a panel into a frame

George Brown
04-22-2010, 7:43 PM
Simple process but getting a little confused.

I made up a 19x24 inch frame with a rabbit cut around the inside.

I have a panel glued up to fit (slightly smaller) than the frame.

How much of the panel can I glue into the frame without having expansion problems. Grain of the panel runs vertically. Top and bottom is therefore cross grain.

It is part of a display case that will hang on a wall, so I want to make it as sturdy as possible.

Thanks

Neal Clayton
04-22-2010, 8:15 PM
why glue it at all?

Neil Brooks
04-22-2010, 8:34 PM
Could you just put one 23ga pin on two sides (each side of the vertical run of the grain of the panel, for example)?

I wouldn't limit expansion without a fairly good reason...

George Brown
04-22-2010, 8:54 PM
I'm worried that just nailing would allow the frame to eventually pull away from the panel.

Neil Brooks
04-22-2010, 8:59 PM
I'm worried that just nailing would allow the frame to eventually pull away from the panel.

How much seasonal variation in relative humidity do you expect this thing to see ???

When you diddle with an Equilibrium Moisture Calculator (http://www.csgnetwork.com/emctablecalc.html), you tend to get SOME relief from SOME of that concern.

But ... do you have seasonal swings of like 40% humidity in the environment where the piece will be?

You can use small screws, in oversized holes. That allows "wallow" room....

George Brown
04-22-2010, 9:04 PM
It is going to be mounted outdoors, both summer and winter. Shielded from direct rain/snow, but still outside. So seasonal variations will be quite extreme.

You're right, screws with washers in larger holes might do the trick?

Neil Brooks
04-22-2010, 9:09 PM
It is going to be mounted outdoors, both summer and winter. Shielded from direct rain/snow, but still outside. So seasonal variations will be quite extreme.

You're right, screws with washers in larger holes might do the trick?

Always have!

There's functionally no end to the amount of play you can build in, that way....

Joe Chritz
04-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I would use a dab of glue in the center top and bottom and nothing else on the panel. If there is room a trim piece attached to the frame would hold the panel in. This is how glass panel doors are often done. The other option is to use some kind of glazing points to hold the panel in.

Depending on the wood I would almost be more concerned about warping than expansion.

Joe

Troy Turner
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Is the face frame wide enough for pocket holes?

George Brown
04-23-2010, 12:51 AM
I could have made it deeper and used glazing points, but right now, it is flush in the back so there is not enough space for them.

I sealed it with exterior finish, so hopefully, it won't warp.

It is not thick enough for pocket screws. The panel is only half an inch thick.

I'll drill oversized holes and screw it together.

Thank you all for your suggestions, they were very helpful.

Howard Acheson
04-23-2010, 2:33 PM
If the panel is solid wood, it should not be glued at all.