protractor.

Thomas love
04-22-2010, 8:30 PM
Cut a little big then site the cut , adjust miter saw accordingly

Neil Brooks
04-22-2010, 8:33 PM
protractor.

Both methods work fine.

I'm working on my clamp rack. I had to figure out the angles where the platform met the boards at bottom, and where the boards met at top (A-frame design).

First, I used an online triangle calculator.

Neat!

The, I printed out an online protractor (Google it). Both agreed perfectly.

But ... cut big and sneak up on it tends to work, too :)

Rich Engelhardt
04-23-2010, 5:56 AM
Starrett 7" 505A-7 Prosite protractor...
(don't use it often - but - often enough to justify the ~ $45.00 I spent on it. I look at it as more "insurance" than anything else. One "bad cut" on a long expensive piece of trim costs nearly the same as the tool - in terms of "wasted" material.)

Mindless...

Just close it on the angle you want to measure and read the red arrow where to set your saw.

I use mine in conjunction with a digital protractor - which I use to double check/set true the miter saw & fence.

Clarence Miller
04-23-2010, 6:22 AM
Take 2 pieces of cardboard cut to the same width as the molding. Place the on the offending corner overlapping the ends to make an "X". Take a utility knife and cut the cardboard from the top of the intersection (corner of the wall) straight out at an eyeballed 45 miter. use the cardboard pieces as a template. Just be sure to put something under the cars board to protect the floor from cutting the templates. I am a big fan of the steel protractors the you can buy for about $15 and have one in my shop. However the protractor is often in my shop and I am somewhere else when I need to make the cut so I had to improvise. Luckily an old carpenter showed me that trick a long time ago. Kinda concerns me that these little jewels of information may be lost with the advance of technology.
If you are making multiple cuts, get a protractor, if it is just a 1 time deal and you have time to fiddle around with cardboard, it'll save you a little money.