PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #4

Scott Lux
04-22-2010, 6:50 PM
My step-mom lost an Ash tree two years ago, not to Emerald Ash borers, but to wind. I took several logs and told her I'd make her something from it.

This is only my 4th bowl ever, and I think I made every mistake you can. Well, not quite every one. It never actually launched at me. It did an "unplanned dismount", but not toward me. :o

It is roughly 6" x 4", and 1/4" thick at the rim, tapering to 1/2" at the bottom. Finished with 5 coats wipe-on poly, MM to 12000.

The design was inspired by an ancient artist named Terry Cotta ;)

Comment & Critiques please. I need the feedback to learn.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2010, 7:34 PM
The design was inspired by an ancient artist named Terry Cotta ;)

Now that's funny - I don't care who you are!

Nice looking bowl! Takes turning a few before you get the idea of curves and how much easier it is to turn a bowl when everything flows.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next bowl!

John Keeton
04-22-2010, 7:37 PM
Scott, that bears a striking resemblance to "Terry's" early garden pieces - some of which survive to this day!!:D;) Classic shape, well done, and I like that ash!

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2010, 7:57 PM
Scott that is a nice looking bowl. The more you do the easier the curves and designs will come.

Bill Bolen
04-22-2010, 8:09 PM
Nice piece...I think mom is gonna love it...Bill...

David E Keller
04-22-2010, 8:52 PM
LOL... I own several of Terry's pieces, but I like this one better.:D

I'm sure your step-mom will love it.

Tony Pridmore
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Excellent. I never thought to copy Terry's work. I like it. Hollowing that shape is actually difficult to pull off with the straight sides and flat bottom.

BTW, nice ash, Scott. :D

Reed Gray
04-23-2010, 12:24 AM
I knew you didn't make every mistake because you still had a bowl to show for it.

You may want to keep an eye on the dark line that separates the dark brown from the lighter brown. It could be ring shake, which is weakening and/or cracking along the growth rings. I lost one like that once after about 6 years. I could feel that that dark ring was different than the rest of the wood, but it held up for a while.

robo hippy

Scott Lux
04-23-2010, 8:57 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I keep thinking I should have used a sanding sealer to fill the pores, but maybe the pics don't show them that much.

I didn't intend to make a pot, I really wanted a bowl with curves. But a couple bad cuts while roughing it out made for a design opportunity. I thought this would be cute and a bit silly. So I had to try.

Reed, thanks for the heads-up on that. It doesn't look or feel different in person (at least not to me). But I'll include that in the disclaimer when I give it to her. It makes sense too since the tree fell. Although the neighbor's house helped break it's fall. :eek:

Lux