PDA

View Full Version : need an aluminum bandsaw insert made on lathe

Mike Leung
04-22-2010, 2:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I am sick of my plastic insert on my bandsaw and would like to make a heavy duty aluminum insert. It is not a standard size so I cannot buy one from a store. Does anyone here have a metal lathe that can help me make an insert? A 2.5" rod would be perfect to make this. It is 2.4255" diam and a little over 0.5" thick. I modeled it in sketchup with all the correct dimensions. I would reallllly appreciate this. Thank you.

Mike

Bob Bergstrom
04-22-2010, 2:48 PM
I use plastic, but put a little super glue in the rim to keep it in place. When I change blades I just give it a tap and pop it out. Just don't glue it in too good or it may crack when you have to tap too hard.

Bill Bolen
04-22-2010, 3:00 PM
You know aluminum turns easy on a wood lathe just using hss tools...Bill...

Brian Greb
04-22-2010, 3:02 PM
You do know that you can turn aluminium and brass on a wood lathe right... and you can use normal wood turning tools to cut it. Just turn at slower speeds.

Mike McAfee
04-22-2010, 4:32 PM
Yep, what Brian and William said! I've turned a lot of brass and a bit of aluminum on my lathes with no problems!

MMc

Kenneth Hertzog
04-22-2010, 4:44 PM
Mike
I can make you one from aluminum
on the milling machine with no problem
send the exact measurements via PM
may even have the aluminum here
ken

Jim Underwood
04-22-2010, 4:45 PM
I just made mine out of Hickory on my wood lathe.

Seems to work fine. And if it cracks or wears out, I just make another one.

Mike Leung
04-22-2010, 8:26 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I don't have a lathe in my shop yet. Ken offered to make one on his mill for me. This community rocks.

Jeff Nicol
04-22-2010, 8:35 PM
I make mine out of aluminum plate or sheet stock. I rough cut it out with the band saw and then sand or grind it to fit the band saw. They work fine for me and simple to make.

Jeff