PDA

View Full Version : New recruit 603C gloat!

James Taglienti
04-22-2010, 1:07 PM
I was walking around a tool show in IL when a dealer took this thing out of a box and almost put it on his table. I say almost because I involuntarily snatched it out of his hand. He was asking $120 for it... I looked it over for about 5 seconds and my wallet got red hot so I pulled it out and started shelling out the bucks. I have been waiting a couple years for a 603 and I'm glad I did! He was a collector and pointed out the pits on the sole, which he had someone take about .002 off on a surface grinder. No apology necessary!
Took it home and dug out the nice thick laminated Union iron I set aside for just this occasion. This thing works like a charm! The union chipbreaker is a slimmer profile than the stanley, so I can get the mouth very tight. And the collector in me is thrilled with the condition... 99% japanning!
$120 is far from a steal, but certainly cheaper than BAY for a 603C...

The bad news is that now I've got to sell something else from the collection (working set?) to make room ...

ken seale
04-22-2010, 1:21 PM
Is it just me, or does the top of the frog look like it has paint on it?

James Taglienti
04-22-2010, 2:15 PM
there's some staining on the frog and strangely enough the very top (which I didn't even photo) is quite black and a little pitted...
good eye

David Nelson1
04-22-2010, 5:05 PM
thats a pretty good deal from prospective

James Carmichael
04-22-2010, 5:25 PM
Is it just me, or does the top of the frog look like it has paint on it?

I can't even see the top of the frog in any of those pics:confused:

I don't think I've ever bought a vintage tool that didn't have paint on it from something.

Congrats on the find!

Paul Saffold
04-23-2010, 7:30 AM
A definite " you suck !".

ken seale
04-23-2010, 1:43 PM
I can't even see the top of the frog in any of those pics:confused:

On the 3rd pic from the left you can see a corner of the frog.