PDA

View Full Version : Amish Country - Suggestions?

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
My mom revealed to me last week that she has always wanted to visit Amish Country. As she and my dad really don't drive long distances anymore, I thought I'd take a trip with them. Any suggestions for "don't miss this", best time of year to visit, etc., would be most appreciated.

John O'Brien
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
What "Amish Country" are you looking to visit? I have been to the Lancaster, PA area many times.

John

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
What "Amish Country" are you looking to visit? I have been to the Lancaster, PA area many times.

John

Well heck, John, I don't know . . . LOL My mom just said Amish Country. Goes to show how little I know about the subject. :) I would prefer the Amish Country closest to GA, but I don't know that there is such a place. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Belinda,

There is "Amish country" in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan. I suspect the area your Mom is talking about is the Lancaster, PA area.

Here's a link to one example: Arthur, Illinois http://www.illinoisamishcountry.com/

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Ken. The Lancaster area sounds good to me, so any suggestions for Lancaster would be great!

Jeff Wright
04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Having lived nearby to the Lancaster PA Amish area since childhood, that area is very familiar to me. Many tourists stay at or near Dutch Wonderland, a small amusement tourist destination in the middle of many shops and some outlets. It is located on the east side of the city of Lancaster and close to the many rural farmland sites. It is a short ride to many of the small towns in the heart of the Amish, including the towns of Paradise, Blue Ball and Intercourse (yes, they are real names of towns; as you can imagine, they have a tough time preventing folks from stealing their city signs!).

Matt Meiser
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
We stayed near Lancaster about 6 years ago and spent about a week exploring the area including a day trip over to Gettysburg.

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Having lived nearby to the Lancaster PA Amish area since childhood, that area is very familiar to me. Many tourists stay at or near Dutch Wonderland, a small amusement tourist destination in the middle of many shops and some outlets. It is located on the east side of the city of Lancaster and close to the many rural farmland sites. It is a short ride to many of the small towns in the heart of the Amish, including the towns of Paradise, Blue Ball and Intercourse (yes, they are real names of towns; as you can imagine, they have a tough time preventing folks from stealing their city signs!).

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. My mother isn't a shopper unless it's for handcrafted items. I think she really wants to get out into the "heartland", so to speak, so I'll keep the towns in mind and promise to leave their signs in place. :D

There is a long standing joke in my family that we always went on vacation just to eat. Breakfast is the family favorite, so I need to know the best place to eat breakfast.

We're pretty flexible on when we can go, so are there any special events or festivals that we should consider?

Pat Germain
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
My brother used to work in Missouri Amish Country. For extra income, some of the families there host guests for a traditional Amish meal. My brother got to know one family and they invited him for dinner. He said it was very enjoyable.

So, you might check into whether any Lancaster Amish families host guests for meals.

John Pratt
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Belinda,

There is "Amish country" in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan. I suspect the area your Mom is talking about is the Lancaster, PA area.

Here's a link to one example: Arthur, Illinois http://www.illinoisamishcountry.com/

Don't forget the sizable Amish population in Iowa.

Jason Roehl
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm about 45 minutes from (one of?) the Amish area(s) in Indiana. Great people, and it's a nice area, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Lancaster, PA area, which I've been near while on my way to Grumbine's (outside Kutztown).

Rob Fisher
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, well were to start. I live in Lancaster and always wonder why people come here. Seems funny to be but I guess it makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the Amish tourist thing, but I do know a few things. Be careful, its a tourist trap in many places. If you want the authentic experience, try to stay off the beaten path, do your research. And if you (or your family are intent on buying real Amish made whatevers, ask if they make them. Sometimes they have stuff made in Asia and shipped in. They real stuff (like an Amish made quilt) can be pricey. But remember its usually hand made and of decent to good quality.

Dutch Wonderland is a tourist trap area. Not to mention it is some of the worst traffic in the area. The outlets make it not so fun. Stay away if you can.

Also don't forget, they are Amish so you have to ask before taking their picture (and it is usually not allowed) and don't expect to see anything Amish on Sundays (kind of an important day to them, or something :cool: ).

Hope this helps,
Rob

Bob Lang
04-22-2010, 12:52 PM
If you're driving from Georgia, you almost have to go through Ohio's amish area (http://www.oacountry.com/) to get to Lancaster, PA. Ohio's community is not quite as large, and the area isn't quite as touristy, although there is plenty of that. On the plus side, lot's of great food, (family style restaurants, bakeries and cheese makers) and a great hardware store, Lehman's (http://www.lehmans.com/) in Kidron.

Bob Lang

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 1:08 PM
If you're driving from Georgia, you almost have to go through Ohio's amish area (http://www.oacountry.com/) to get to Lancaster, PA. Ohio's community is not quite as large, and the area isn't quite as touristy, although there is plenty of that. On the plus side, lot's of great food, (family style restaurants, bakeries and cheese makers) and a great hardware store, Lehman's (http://www.lehmans.com/) in Kidron.

Bob Lang

Thanks Bob! That's good to know. Sadly, we are driving from Georgia. My parents don't fly. My dad's great grandfather was a Lehman, so the hardware store stop can be a surprise for him.

I am looking forward to the trip on one hand, but on the other . . . let's just say I'm going to have to pack my extra patience.

Matt Meiser
04-22-2010, 1:13 PM
Lehmans has turned into a tourist trap of its own though it is still neat. Unfortunately due to the economy a few of the other places we used to stop at in the Kidron area have closed. I recently discovered Keim Lumber (http://www.keimlumber.com) thanks to another Creeker which is a definite go-back place for me. I've got my eye on this (http://www.keimlumber.com/products/34/19/10452)when I go back so don't you go buying it. We stayed at a nice B&B near Charm, OH (http://www.charmcountryviewinn.com/) Thanksgiving weekend last year which is pretty centrally located for exploring that area.

Von Bickley
04-22-2010, 1:17 PM
Belinda,
I have visited the Amish community at Lancaster county in PA, and I have visited the Amish community in Ohio. You and your parents would probably enjoy Lancaster county the most.
If you or your parents are interested in flowers or gardens, Longwood Gardens is fairly close to Lancaster county and is a beautiful place to visit. Check it out on the net.

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 1:33 PM
Lehmans has turned into a tourist trap of its own though it is still neat. Unfortunately due to the economy a few of the other places we used to stop at in the Kidron area have closed. I recently discovered Keim Lumber (http://www.keimlumber.com) thanks to another Creeker which is a definite go-back place for me. I've got my eye on this (http://www.keimlumber.com/products/34/19/10452)when I go back so don't you go buying it. We stayed at a nice B&B near Charm, OH (http://www.charmcountryviewinn.com/) Thanksgiving weekend last year which is pretty centrally located for exploring that area.

That's a lovely piece of wood, Matt. You don't have to worry about me buying it first though as I try not to butcher beautiful things.

Belinda,
I have visited the Amish community at Lancaster county in PA, and I have visited the Amish community in Ohio. You and your parents would probably enjoy Lancaster county the most.
If you or your parents are interested in flowers or gardens, Longwood Gardens is fairly close to Lancaster county and is a beautiful place to visit. Check it out on the net.

My parents' anniversary is in the first week of August. Would it be crazy to try to make the trip then? Von, you know what kind of heat and humidity we are accustomed to, though I'd rather not spend a vacation in it. Would August in Lancaster county be miserable?

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-22-2010, 1:39 PM
I am looking forward to the trip on one hand, but on the other . . . let's just say I'm going to have to pack my extra patience.

I took two weeks once to drive my parents across 1/2 the US. All I did was drive and go where they told me. Yes it took some patience, but in the end was worth every second. (Turned out Dad had cancer and died shortly after, who knew.) They really had no plans, just wanted to see the country so we took a lot of back roads and side trips. I had to bite my lip many times, but I saw many things I enjoyed too.

We also did the Amish thing, Ohio. Have relatives close by, so we saw things most visiters do not, and it was fun seeing how they really live.
I think the way my folks enjoyed the cemitary was close to the top.

I have never regretted that 2 weeks.

Von Bickley
04-22-2010, 1:39 PM
My parents' anniversary is in the first week of August. Would it be crazy to try to make the trip then? Von, you know what kind of heat and humidity we are accustomed to, though I'd rather not spend a vacation in it. Would August in Lancaster county be miserable?

The weather in PA would probably be better than SC or GA in August.

How old are your parents and how is their health? Can they get around O.K. and walk pretty good?

This is some really beautiful country up there......

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 2:02 PM
I took two weeks once to drive my parents across 1/2 the US. All I did was drive and go where they told me. Yes it took some patience, but in the end was worth every second. (Turned out Dad had cancer and died shortly after, who knew.) They really had no plans, just wanted to see the country so we took a lot of back roads and side trips. I had to bite my lip many times, but I saw many things I enjoyed too.

We also did the Amish thing, Ohio. Have relatives close by, so we saw things most visiters do not, and it was fun seeing how they really live.
I think the way my folks enjoyed the cemitary was close to the top.

I have never regretted that 2 weeks.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

I just have to remember to pack my sense of humor as things just really get rather comical. My dad is completely deaf in one ear, and partially in the other. My mom has a parlyzed vocal cord and can't speak much above a whisper. I have no idea how they communicate when I'm not around. Driving with them in the car is basically my mother making a comment, my dad asking what she said, me repeating the comment, and then him cussin' because he missed whatever he was supposed to see on the roadside. After a while speaking loudly enough for my dad to hear becomes a little bit of a habit. I START TALKING LIKE THAT TO EVERYONE and then have to apologize. :rolleyes:

The weather in PA would probably be better than SC or GA in August.

How old are your parents and how is their health? Can they get around O.K. and walk pretty good?

This is some really beautiful country up there......

My dad will be 69 in August, my mother is 66. Both are in relatively good health but don't get much cardiovascular exercise. They tend to get a bit winded with a lot of walking. My dad has a joint problem and if he isn't having a flare of that he is pretty mobile. They plant and tend a garden every year, at least an acre, so I guess they are actually in pretty good shape.

Ken Garlock
04-22-2010, 2:41 PM
Hi Belinda.

If you are traveling west from PA. be sure you go through the town of Hartville OH. They have a farmers market, and a home style restaurant, and or course Hartville hardware and tool. The home style Hartville Kitchen (http://www.hartvillekitchen.com/) restaurant is served family style with big dishes of potatoes vegetables and chicken.

If you travel on west, you will want to stop in Kidron Ohio and spend a couple hours browsing through the Lehmans Hardware (http://www.lehmans.com/). Need a wood burning cook stove, they have them.

Enjoy your adventure.:):)

Oh, I forgot, You can jump on I-75 and stay on it until you are north of Dayton OH and in the vicinity of US30, the Lincoln highway. There you will be in Amish country. Don't forget to stop and get some excellent Swiss cheese.

David G Baker
04-22-2010, 2:54 PM
Belinda,
I don't know if it is the same with all Amish, Thursday is another day when all of the Amish stores in my area of Michigan close. We have a medium sized Amish community but nothing fancy or touristy. PA is known for their Amish communities.

Horton Brasses
04-22-2010, 3:42 PM
I spent a day with an Amish blacksmith in Ronks, PA a few years back. We skipped all the tourist areas-he took us to a carriage shop, furniture shop, his forge, a neighbor's forge, and so on. We didn't eat a meal with them, but it was quite an experience. Everyone we met was incredibly kind, polite, and welcoming. I would say just go to Lancaster county and find some local Amish run businesses to visit-I think you will find that pretty enjoyable and enlightening. Everyone was thrilled to show us their work and how they did it. The carriage shop was by far the most interesting to me, I would highly recommend stopping by one or more to see what they do.

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 3:57 PM
My mother grew up surrounded by family in a very rural area. No car, only horses, mules and buggies. No indoor plumbing, wood cookstove for cooking and heating. My mother had a "store bought" dress for Easter when she was five, and not another one until she went to Senior Prom. There was nothing wasted, including time. If there wasn't butter to be churned there were chickens to feed, or quilts to piece, or wood to chop, or vegetables to hoe. The extended family was basically one community and mom was as likely to sleep at an aunt's house as she was to sleep at home. The children were basically "community property" and were cared for by all members of the family.

For some reason I can't sit empty handed and idle. :rolleyes:

I think granddaddy finally bought a truck in 1958 or 59 when he moved the family away from the old homestead to the "new farm" a county and a half away.

I think that mom feels some sort of kinship with Amish because of the way she grew up and wants to see what that lifestyle is really like, so I'm guessing she would really enjoy actually meeting and talking to some of the families.

All good suggestions and advice. Thanks again!

John Lohmann
04-22-2010, 4:12 PM
Just stay away from Gettysburg, bad memories for Southerners.

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 4:14 PM
Belinda, Souther PA would certainly be a nice place to go. While August will be nicER than in GA, it will still be hot.

Just about any route you would take would bring you within 30 minutes of me (NW Maryland). If you need a pit stop, advice on a place to dine, or wanna swing by, let me know. PM me and I'll be happy to leave you my number in case you want/need something while in my area.

Boy, I can see this turning into a "well, you're driving right by me, too...you have to stop by" thread!

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 4:21 PM
Just stay away from Gettysburg, bad memories for Southerners.

I have to admit that if I visited Gettysburg my ancestors would haunt me. It's not really a place I have any desire to visit.

Off topic, but it's my thread. One of my ancestors lost a leg at the Battle of Chickamauga, Grandpa Luck (his given name was Matthew). I have a hard time visiting battlesites. I love the history but I can't get past the number of lives changed and lost. The battle of Chickamauga had the second highest number of casualties of the war, Gettysburg was first.

Rob Fisher
04-22-2010, 5:00 PM
...My parents' anniversary is in the first week of August. Would it be crazy to try to make the trip then? Von, you know what kind of heat and humidity we are accustomed to, though I'd rather not spend a vacation in it. Would August in Lancaster county be miserable?

August in PA can be a bear (by our standards) but compared to GA its probably nothing. Like 90's and close to 100% humidity. Thats the bad end of things, could be nicer, just depends.

Also forgot to mention that if you visit the Amish areas you ought to stop in town and see central market. It's the country's oldest continuously operated farmers market. I love it, lots of different foods, stuff for lunch, baked goods...ummm...its only open Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

Rob

scott spencer
04-22-2010, 5:17 PM
If you want the "tourist edition" of Amish country that's not necessarily Amish owned, head into the heart of Lancaster. Places like Intercourse and Bird in Hand have more actual working Amish farms on the outskirts. We did a buggy ride and tour of an actual working Amish owned farm from Aaron and Jessica's Buggy Rides (http://www.amishbuggyrides.com/)...fascinating and educational!

Rick Moyer
04-22-2010, 6:51 PM
I'd agree mostly with Scott. I find the greater "downtown" areas of Lancaster to be extremely commercial. I always wonder what the "real" Amish think of the whole thing. Sure many profit from it but I suspect they mostly don't like it (or at least I would hope they don't). Otherwise the area is quite beautiful; lots of rolling hills with many well maintained farms. If you haven't shared roads with buggies before, be forewarned and careful.

also: note to self- don't ride anywhere with someone who thinks the way from Georgia to Pennsylvania is through Ohio. Did anyone consult a map?:D

Charlie Knauer
04-22-2010, 9:25 PM
Belinda, my wife and I have a weekend getaway in Lancaster. I will pick up some brochures this weekend and can send them to you. There are lots of bed and breakfasts and attractions. The weather in August is not to bad for travelling and walking around.

Charlie

Glen Butler
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
No one has mentioned Amish country in Maryland. They are fairly prominent in Charles and Dorchester counties. I don't know how this compares to PA Amish Country which is the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking Amish. But there are Amish farmers markets in Maryland.

Belinda Barfield
04-23-2010, 6:17 AM
Just about any route you would take would bring you within 30 minutes of me (NW Maryland). If you need a pit stop, advice on a place to dine, or wanna swing by, let me know. PM me and I'll be happy to leave you my number in case you want/need something while in my area.

Boy, I can see this turning into a "well, you're driving right by me, too...you have to stop by" thread!

My dad is a bit suspicious of this whole meetin' people on the Internet business. :D I can just imagine what would happen if I told him we would be stopping all along the way to visit with my Internet friends. LOL I will take you up on the offer for your number though. I'll send you note later today. Thanks!

also: note to self- don't ride anywhere with someone who thinks the way from Georgia to Pennsylvania is through Ohio. Did anyone consult a map?:D

I haven't consulted a map yet, but I definitely will! I'm a direct route, interstate as much as possible, driver most of the time. I do occasionally take the scenic route if traveling for fun and not business.

Belinda, my wife and I have a weekend getaway in Lancaster. I will pick up some brochures this weekend and can send them to you. There are lots of bed and breakfasts and attractions. The weather in August is not to bad for travelling and walking around.

Charlie

Thank you very much for your kind offer Charlie. That would be great! I'll send you a note today.

Sounds like the weather won't be that much different than what we are accustomed to in August. Maybe we'll wait until September. August here is high 90s to low 100s with very high humidity. Coastal breezes occasionally help with the humidity in Savannah, but my parents live more inland.

John O'Brien
04-23-2010, 8:05 AM
Since we have an RV, I can't recommend hotels, but there are many in the area.

If you like to visit a framer's market, there is the Green Dragon in Ephrata. Eveything from locally grown food, hand made items, furniture right down to flea market vendors. They are only open on Friday. Early in the morning they have an auction, usually selling trucks of hay, etc. Not that you would want to take that home, but it's interesting to watch.
http://greendragonmarket.com/ (http://greendragonmarket.com/)
If you want to stuff yourself, can't beat teh Shady Maple Buffet. I believe it's in New Holland, PA. Great all you can eat food. Long lines for dinner, but they move fast since the place is so large.
http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord (http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord)
If you have time for a show, highly recommend Sight and Sound theater. All their shows are Bible based, but excellent performances. Will need tickets in advance though.
http://www.sight-sound.com/WebSiteSS/getlanguages.do (http://www.sight-sound.com/WebSiteSS/getlanguages.do)
Then there is the Village of Dutch Delights on Rt. 30, I believe in Ronks, PA. There is a mixture of "imported" and local shops there. My favorite is The Outhouse. Lots of amusing things to look at, most of them unique. If you take the time to read the t-shirts, door mats, etc. I'm sure you'll have a laugh.
http://outhousepa.com/285474.ihtml (http://outhousepa.com/285474.ihtml)
Over in Intercourse, PA there is Kitchen Kettle Village, many small shops. Major tourist attraction, busses arriving all the time.
There is a Mennonite visitors center on Rt. 30 that offers a movie of the area. We were out there a few years ago with a group, and we took a bus tour of the area, had lunch at a local Amish house and stopped at a few Amish stores (quilts, pretzels, gifts) which was very educational. It was arranged by someone else, so I don't know how it was setup.
You will find the area very clean, and if you get off the major roads like Rt. 30 the scenery is fantastic. Rolling hills, working farms, horse drawn carriages and kids on scooters.
If you can plan out the different areas you want to visit, and make reservations in different hotels, you won't spend a lot of your time driving back and forth, and will have more "family" time.
Hope this info helps.
John

Belinda Barfield
04-23-2010, 8:38 AM
This info is very helpful, John. Thanks! My daddy does love a good buffet. My mother doesn't like crowds so the advice on places outside of the more touristy areas is great.

Thanks again, all, for your help.

Scott Shepherd
04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Belinda, don't forget to eat some Shoo-fly pie :) MMmmmmmmmmmmm......

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/ShooflyPie2.jpg

Dave Gaul
04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I am ~ 30 minutes from Lancaster. I don't get there too often, but I was going to suggest the Shady Maple as well... been in this area for 10 years and never been myself, but I have heard it is a must, and you better come hungry!!

There are many B&B's in that area if you like that, google PA B&B's and you'll find many sites to point you to them...

Dave Gaul
04-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh, and you mentioned you like the interstates for travel... if you are coming up 95, 95 can be quite a bear around Richmond, VA (if you've never been). I suggest an alt route if you can! I have been trapped on 95 in VA for HOURS going nowhere!!!

Jason Roehl
04-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Oooh...that pie reminds me--you have to try some scrapple while you're there.

Belinda Barfield
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Oh, and you mentioned you like the interstates for travel... if you are coming up 95, 95 can be quite a bear around Richmond, VA (if you've never been). I suggest an alt route if you can! I have been trapped on 95 in VA for HOURS going nowhere!!!

That is definitely some useful info! I've been stuck on 95 for hours in GA and FL. We will probably take a more scenic route as my driving on an interstate makes my daddy a tad bit nervous.

Oooh...that pie reminds me--you have to try some scrapple while you're there.

Sounds like I better pack what my daddy refers to as my "rubber waisted britches"!:D

Mike Null
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree that the Ohio-PA trip would probably be more rewarding but there is a good sized community in Iowa at Amana which is near Iowa City. Going there would take you through the Illinois and Missouri Amish areas. I can recommend the food in Amana. (though not a fan of their wines)

Von Bickley
04-23-2010, 8:57 PM
If you want to stuff yourself, can't beat teh Shady Maple Buffet. I believe it's in New Holland, PA. Great all you can eat food. Long lines for dinner, but they move fast since the place is so large.

I agree with John on "The Shady Maple". This is one huge restaurant with PLENTY of food.

Matt Meiser
04-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Been there too. Good eats. If I'm remembering correctly LOML bought LOMLjr an amish doll at a shop attached to the restaurant.

Dave Lehnert
04-24-2010, 12:38 AM

+1 what Matt said. I go every year. sometimes twice.

About an hour north is Hartville Hardware. And Hartville Flea Market.

http://www.hartvillehardware.com/

http://www.hartvillemarketplace.com/

http://www.hartvillekitchen.com/

Mitchell Andrus
04-24-2010, 8:43 AM
We visited the area when the kids were 8 and 11. We stayed at a Menonite dairy farm B&B for a week just down the road from the Railroad museum in Lancaster. An Amish woman cooked breakfast every morning... and I mean COOKED. At 9:00am half of the days' work was done and breakfast was the big meal of the day and lasted 1 1/2 hours. The conversations at the table were worth the trip, as were the pancakes, muffins, fruit and milk right from the barn. The kids are in their 20's and we still talk about it.

I hope they can resist the temptation to stay at a Holiday Inn. The people are what the trip is about, not the gift shops and hotel lobby.

Don't miss the 'family style' eateries, and have a few slices of Shoo-fly pie for me. Really.

Mitchell Andrus
04-24-2010, 8:51 AM
Thanks Bob! That's good to know. Sadly, we are driving from Georgia. My parents don't fly. My dad's great grandfather was a Lehman, so the hardware store stop can be a surprise for him.

I feel for you, but my best memories growing up were the road trips.

Turn a long time sitting shoulder to shoulder into a chance to really get to know what everyone's thinking about 'stuff'. Turn off the radio once in a while... No dishes to wash, laundry, dentist appointments, lawn to mow. Just conversation and opinions to share and gently disagree with.

My wife and I drive 11 hours to and then from our house in NC a few months ago and talked non-stop about all kinds of stuff that we don't have time for.

Mitchell Andrus
04-24-2010, 9:14 AM
Belinda, don't forget to eat some Shoo-fly pie :) MMmmmmmmmmmmm......

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/ShooflyPie2.jpg

My wife and I hosted an episode of "Food 911" about 7 years ago.... Tyler Florence came and taught my wife to make Shoo-Fly pie in our kitchen.

I've looked for it on-line... can't find it. yet.

Rich Lester
04-25-2010, 6:40 PM
Hi Belinda,

Having been born and raised in south central PA just to the west of the Lancaster Amish area in York county I feel qualified to throw in my 2 cents worth.
There are alot of commercial areas in the "Amish" country of Lancaster but if you're willing to get off the beat and path you can find some treasures. My suggestion would be to do some internet searching of the area then expand your horizons by getting here asking some of the locals what's good and what's not then just driving around. Just remember, the "true" Amish do not advertise other than by roadside signs at their farm so if you see it on the internet or in a brochure they may be "Amish" but they are not old order. Most Amish are extremely friendly and will be glad to talk with you, but as someone else said they usually do not like to have their picture taken and are hesitent to talk about their lifestyle.
If you like a good train ride through the area the Stasburg Railroad has them. If you like antiquing there are loads of shops in the area. Check out Root's Market on certain days for local craftspersons and artisans selling their wares. There is plenty to see and do in the area so come on up.
Now for your trip here.
I have a sister who lives in Newborn GA (between Atlanta and Augusta off I 20). When we visit her or when she visits here we always travel I77 to I81 to Rt30 (south to north). It's a long drive (12 -13 hours if you drive straight through depending on traffic) so we usually split it somewhere around the I77 I81 split (Ft Chiswell, Max Meadows VA area). Typically leave early afternoon and arrive at the split in time for dinner and relaxation before turning in for the night. Get up eat and finish the next day in the early afternoon so there is time to visit before turning in. Beautiful drive the whole way especially in the sky line drive area of VA. The Rt30 part of the trip is mainly 2 lane road with a center turn lane but it takes you through some nice areas of south central PA, including right through Gettysburg and it's battlefield, you don't have to stop but Gettysburg is a really nice area.
Hope some of what I put out here helps. Have a safe trip and enjoy the area.

Belinda Barfield
04-26-2010, 6:23 AM
Rich,

Thanks for the route info. This will definitely be a two day drive.

So many good suggestions . . . so much to see. I'll let you all know how it goes, with pics, once we get underway.