PDA

View Full Version : Paper Masking

Martin Boekers
04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I've been using the standard white masking paper sold by many awards wholesalers for years.

I lightly engraver to show the area on a piece that is masked. The image shows up slightly, I guess it's old age catching up with me:o, but it's getting harder and harder to see the test etch.

Also sometimes when I do an acrylic fill the moisture causes the paper to bubble.

I don't just mask on fills, but also for placement on non-standard shaped products.

What reasonably priced masking will help me with these issues?

Thanks!

Marty

Dan Hintz
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
They sell the blue painter's tape in rolls several inches wide... it may be more expensive, but you'll be able to see the etch. Find a wholesaler and buy a box at a time.

Jeff Belany
04-22-2010, 1:54 PM
When looking for painter's tape, check to see if they have green. I have found that it is a little cheaper than the blue. But I agree that it really helps the old eyes see the image better. As they say "If i'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself"

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Darryl Hazen
04-22-2010, 2:38 PM
If you go looking for the 3M blue tape be sure to get the 2080 painters tape. They also sell a 2090 painters tape but, it has a slight texture to it which can allow paint to creep under the edge of the tape. The 2080 has a smooth surface. Don't ask me how I found that out! :o:o

Mike Null
04-22-2010, 4:02 PM
Martin

try boosting the power a little to get more of a mark. I have a couple of jobs where I find using cheap HD clear plastic for positioning works well. (these are jobs where I want to move the laser or the drawing but leave the job in it's fixed position.)

Tom Bull
04-22-2010, 8:16 PM
The green 3M tape may be the one for "hard to stick surfaces", if so be careful on fragile parts.