PDA

View Full Version : I Need some "Know How"

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-22-2010, 8:35 AM
Hello Wood Turners,
Would you be willing to share a bit of your experience with me? I'm a woodworker but not a very experienced turner. I have the machine and quite a few accessories acquired with the used lathe I own but very little experience. I need to turn finials in the shape of a squat onion. I built a large table with a 3" wide apron. The apron joins 3" square blocks at the four corners of the table. The aprons are carved and quite decorative and the blocks need something to finish them off. The blocks will stand proud of the apron by 1/2" and the corners will have a 3/8" wide chamfer. The bottom of the block will be slightly rounded to soften the appearance and create a soft transition into the round finial. I want to turn a finial that will attach to the under side of the block. The diameter of the finial will be slightly larger than the block. Here are my questions:
How do I drill a hole dead center in the block to accept a round mortise?
Can these be turned between centers or do I have to somehow secure the pieces to a faceplate?
I'm sure this is basic stuff but not for me. Thanks for the help.
Butch

Aaron Wingert
04-22-2010, 8:48 AM
If you have a chuck this would be a good application for a woodworm screw. If you don't you can certainly turn the parts between centers. Just cut to length, center up, mount between centers and turn. If the grain is parallel to the bed of the lathe then you'll use a roughing gouge and spindle gouge.

Drilling the hole on the lathe would be a great option to guarantee it is centered, but you'd need a chuck for that.

Paul Atkins
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Are the blocks separate from the legs? Are the legs in the corners or is it a trestle table? I would make the block and finial all one block and then turn it. If that isn't the way you'll do it, can you put the blocks on the drill press? I'd turn between centers for the 'onions' and clean up the tip by hand after leaving a little stub for the center. If you have a chuck that will accept the tenon you could turn the tip after the tenon is turned between centers. I hope this is as clear as mud.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-22-2010, 5:59 PM
Paul,
The table is a two pedestal table with a stringer. It's quite large, 10' X 50". No, I don't have a faceplate with a screw center but I know what you mean. I do have a 3 jaw chuck to mount a finished tenon. Since there seems to be a couple ways to do this, I believe I will try out doing the work as a one piece job but try some scrap. I will also try it between centers. By the time I do a couple for practice and experimentation, maybe I will get the feel back. It's been a while.
Aaron, I am afraid I am not familiar with a spindle gouge. I suspect my gouges are just basic gouges. I have a couple sizes but they are the same shape.
Butch